How would you rate your long term career satisfaction and overall well being?

This guy is a bozo/farmer and will likely be treated as such aboard any vessel he steps on. At this pace i wild guess he only last a trip or two. I suggest we begin to ignore the troll and move on to more “pressing” matters.

At least he will be easy to spot. He won’t have enough sense to leave the Oregon gear at home.

[QUOTE=z-drive;118465]This guy is a bozo/farmer and will likely be treated as such aboard any vessel he steps on. At this pace i wild guess he only last a trip or two. I suggest we begin to ignore the troll and move on to more “pressing” matters.[/QUOTE]

Bingo. He will get eaten alive.

[QUOTE=ElCapitan;118470]At least he will be easy to spot. He won’t have enough sense to leave the Oregon gear at home.[/QUOTE]I’ll wear an Alabama hat and blend in with the dumb asses.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;118455]This was what I was getting at inthe thread about older mariners.

Here is a person who has never worked at sea a day in his life yet he believes he understands seafaring better then a retired ship captain who has spend a career at sea and risen to the top of his profession.

For most of us who have spent time at sea, professional respect and a understanding of the shipboard hierarchy comes as second nature.[/QUOTE]

Hey there, never claimed to understand it more than you guys, you’re just blowing hot air. What I meant by “lots of time off” is that you guys get 14 days off for every 28 days worked, or something close to it. That amounts to 4 months of “off time” when most people in other professions get only a pathetic 2 week vacation. Obviously you work a hell of a lot harder than they do during your on days.

[QUOTE=Xmsccapt(ret);118450]Good point!

We that have been in the business have all seen this guy before. He arrives with no training, brings nothing to he table but talk. Expects by the very virtue of being there he is deserving of a large paycheck, feels put upon when someone takes the time to teach him, knows it all and is a complete failure in all his other " careers" attempted. Now he finds himself making a go at going to sea for a living. Why? He hears the money is good. May as well take a stab at it, after all he’s failed at all other jobs may as well give this one a shot too. This type never last long, is a burden to others and in the end moves on after a few weeks or months. I don’t give pikers like this the benefit of my experience. Not to say I never took someone under my wing, but it never was a smart assed kid with a big mouth to be sure.[/QUOTE]

You should limit your speculation about my career successes or failures and stick to what you do know. BTW I’ve got money in the bank for all my ‘failures.’ When one industry dries up I improvise and move on to the next best thing. Also you wouldn’t even be able to pick me out of a crowd because I’m a good student, I do listen and learn and I carry my attitude silently. I will be the guy they want coming back the 2nd time around because of my hard work and inconspicuous demeanor. I can verbally joust with the best of you on this forum, and I only do it for the entertainment.

You really should just come back when you have a job and a little sea water under you keel. If you think you have a lot of time off working 28 and 14 you are just continuing to show what you don’t know

[QUOTE=oregonblitzkrieg;118570]I’ll wear an Alabama hat and blend in with the dumb asses.

• Updated - - -

Hey there, never claimed to understand it more than you guys, you’re just blowing hot air. What I meant by “lots of time off” is that you guys get 14 days off for every 28 days worked, or something close to it. That amounts to 4 months of “off time” when most people in other professions get only a pathetic 2 week vacation. Obviously you work a hell of a lot harder than they do during your on days.[/QUOTE]
And you are home on the weekends.
And you are in your bed every night.
You are spouting off a lot for a guy who, like I said before, is on the outside looking in.
You should really have a nice big steaming cup of shut the fuck up.

[QUOTE=captrob;118448]Where was everyone when anchor boat captains were making $185 / day and hands were starting at $35? I know it’s a different industry today, but I still have pride that I payed my dues out here when most UL guys wouldn’t be caught dead on a mud boat. Unless they were terrible fuckups or drunks.[/QUOTE]

Grazing in greener pastures no doubt. . Even 20 years ago, I doubt most people wouldn’t turn their pillow over, much less roll out of bed for that kind of pay.

Again, you don’t have a fucking clue.

[QUOTE=oregonblitzkrieg;118571] I do listen and learn and I carry my attitude silently. I will be the guy they want coming back the 2nd time around because of my hard work and inconspicuous demeanor.[/QUOTE]
Usually the guy chirping about how good he is sucks the worst when it comes right down to it.

Lolz I think you should just apply for a goddamn OIM job, cut to the chase and avoid all the BS. Kthx-bye, go away. You’re an idiot!

What is this, kindergarten?

I know you are, but what am I?!?

He said it all, “i’m just here for entertainment.” Starve the troll. It’s an insult to the guys who begged to start out lobstering and fishing for no pay just to get on the ocean and off shore away from people of his ilk.

Oh you are going to do so well in your new career. When you do get a job make sure you tell the Capt, Mate and Cheng that you don’t take any crap. That you know they respect guys like you that know it all and stand up for themselves. Oh, and be sure to take the same line with the local cops and state troopers while down here. They too highly respect someone that tells them strait up they don’t take any crap. Yes son, sense you know all about what the marine industry was like 20 years ago, and even before you were born you will go far. And I for one hope you take that distant trip soon.

Actually your post to date I’d not call verbal jousting, people that have commented here have tried to give you good solid information, the taunts toward you due to your attitude are not jousting but more along the lines of toying with a lab rat. I could get more intelligent verbal jousting from a five year old.