How hard is it to research companies and invest in stocks on an MSC vessel's internet

connection? I know that the internet connection is generally unreliable and a lot of sites are blocked but do any of you think that it would be possible to do a little investing in one’s downtime?

Internet on AKE class is really fast. They just installed a new commercial wide band system. Our Internet at sea is just as fast as when we are in port and hooked up to the t1 line. No sites are blocked, you can visit any site you like.

Just be aware that certain MSC ships go into “EMCON” during the course of their military tasking. EMCON A equals no comms.

Set up a dollar cost averaging system with automatic dividend reinvestment plan. Buy index funds. Far less stressful than trying to beat the market.

Almost any website you need is blocked. There is no functioning Internet on an Msc ship. I’d say plan for the worst, if you get better then you’d be happy. The issue is Msc won’t buy any more band width. The solution to band width use is he restrict what the crew can use, hence the black list that covers most all commonly used web sites.

Good point. Or set up a tsp L fund and let it roll for 20-30 years.

[QUOTE=UnRepKing;85938]Internet on AKE class is really fast. They just installed a new commercial wide band system. Our Internet at sea is just as fast as when we are in port and hooked up to the t1 line. No sites are blocked, you can visit any site you like.[/QUOTE]

Are you trying to punk the questioner or have things changed recently?

New antennas are being installed as ships go into vr periods. We listen to live streaming radio at sea. I have never seen these so called “blocked” sites.

CBSP…commercial broadband satellite program. I have been on 2 ships with it.

You don’t need to waste time and money investing in stocks.

Being hired by MSC is like winning the lottery!

Instead of taking the lump sum you get a check every two weeks. You just have to muster at 0800 and 1300 and the money will keep coming.

Did I mention free boots, rides to Wal-Mart, and free medical care from the MSO?

America’s most extensive welfare program.

4 more years! 4 more years!

[QUOTE=Flyer69;85944]Set up a dollar cost averaging system with automatic dividend reinvestment plan. Buy index funds. Far less stressful than trying to beat the market.[/QUOTE]

I was planning to do this initially to get my feet wet but eventually(once I’m satisfied with the amount I have in savings) I want to be able to take some bigger risks. Another benefit of being more involved with the investments that my money is going towards is I can get a better feel for what business practices work and don’t. I plan to go into business for myself in 10-15 years and could use the experience. Better than grad school in my opinion.

It is quite possible that I’m getting way ahead of myself here though…appreciate everyone’s responses

You will as soon as they come and " upgrade " the system. What you are doing now is flying under the radar, but sooner or later you will know all about the blocked sites. Same thing happened to my ship in the end. Try as I did, sooner or later they come on and screw up the systems for you.

True dat; cbsp has good Internet speed and bandwidth- but it is in place for operational traffic first, admin crap second, and crew connectivity a distant third. Unless you are a ships officer, you will have to compete with the other members of the crew for time on a terminal.

Xcap also speaks true regarding blocking sites(to a degree); cbsp is connected to the the USN computer network. Thus you will have an extraordinary cyber defense system loaded on your network afloat to keep hackers, etc. from intruding on the network. On my ship the network is all gummed up with protective patches, anti-virus, firewalls and the like which sometimes tends to block even known safe DOD sites.

Basically your connectivity will be good enough to check email, take some courses and buy flowers, etc. any thing past that, you’re rolling the dice.

They just installed that on the oiler I’m on. I haven’t noticed any difference really. It might be 50% faster, but it’s hard to tell since we still only have access to the white list.

Also, why do I have to provide my captain’s name and email when I request a site be added to the list? Are they trying to intimidate people into not requesting any additions?

Learn to live with little or no internet access on MSC ships. UNREP King, Why do you hate MSC so much?