How come nobody's complaining about the fact that this thing drives itself?

[QUOTE=c.captain;159659]and what is the point of landing a rocket with its own engine? why not land it by parachute?

sometimes ideas are just stoopid and can’t be made smart no matter how big the brains behind them…[/QUOTE]

The Russians have been doing that more (or less) successfully for decades too. Soyuz

• Updated - - -

They’ll figure it out, as someone else mentioned.

We (the US) using purloined German scientists (Operation Paper Clip) sent many a rocket up only to come down to the ground again. Still happens.

//youtu.be/QEJ9HrZq7Ro

So close, but… Go pro footage from barge deck.

https://vid.me/i6o5

Wait a minute…if you go all the way to orbit hpw can you keep enough fuel to do a controllef decent all the way to earth?

thank god it has no band…

Sometimes it can’t. Depends on the payload and orbit hight. Next flight gets no landing gear. Looks like there was some fuel left over last time, judging by the RUD. New challenges await SpaceX’s next rocket landing attempt – Spaceflight Now

“At least it shd [should] explode for a diff reason.”

As tweeted by Mr. Musk.

When the aliens landed on the earth, what fuel did they use?
They must have taken off
from their planet, landed on ours then went back again.

[QUOTE=powerabout;159744]When the aliens landed on the earth, what fuel did they use?
They must have taken off
from their planet, landed on ours then went back again.[/QUOTE]

What if we humans are the aliens? Then we/they wouldn’t have had to take off again to go back…

[QUOTE=powerabout;159744]When the aliens landed on the earth, what fuel did they use?
They must have taken off
from their planet, landed on ours then went back again.[/QUOTE]
Of course they used nuclear powered cold fusion to generate enough power for the anti-gravity module on board their craft. After they got out of orbit, it was a simple matter of using the di-lithium crystals to fire up the impulse drive and then the warp engines.

[QUOTE=Oil_Is_Evil;159714]Sometimes it can’t. Depends on the payload and orbit hight. Next flight gets no landing gear. Looks like there was some fuel left over last time, judging by the RUD.[/QUOTE]

allright perfesser knowitall…here is a video animation of the whole silly concept

//youtu.be/sSF81yjVbJE

what I want to know is that is the point of using a barge? the animation shows the reusble rockets all coming down on land and why it is not possible to still incorporate a parachute to show the descent and detatch just before final touch down?

I’m guessing Socalguy would be better able to answer your questions. I would hazard a guess, however, that the reason for the barge landing is pretty evident in the Videos so far. (Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly). I would also guess that the added weight going up, and the drift coming down are factors…

I don’t know all their future plans for launch capabilities, but I’d foster a guess that they’d like to be able to launch and recover near the equator which is advantageous for a host of reasons; which is what Sea Launch does. In such a case, barge recovery simplifies logistical issues at the least. Speaking of Sea Launch, anyone ever get a close up look at their vessels down in Long Beach? I’ve only seen them from the bridge to the north. Bet they’re crewed by Ruskies though…

For anyone interested here’s a pic of the barge after this most recent landing attempt:

[QUOTE=socalguy;159782]For anyone interested here’s a pic of the barge after this most recent landing attempt:[/QUOTE]

That’ll buff right out.

I worked on the Observation Island for MSC in the early eighties and the ship used to launch Posidon back in late 50s from a silo on the stbd side. 6000 psi air blew the missile out of the silo then the rocket motor ignited so it didn’t blow up in the silo. There was a viewing window with glass a foot thick about 100 feet from where the silo was. The ship tracked ballistic missiles when I worked on it.

[QUOTE=c.captain;159750]what I want to know is that is the point of using a barge? the animation shows the reusble rockets all coming down on land and why it is not possible to still incorporate a parachute to show the descent and detatch just before final touch down?[/QUOTE]

Isn’t it possible the barge is a preliminary / phase 1 type of thing? As you say the video shows them landing with some precision at the ‘space port’. Presumably where the shops for re-fitting the rockets for reuse would be located. With a parachute - assuming that would even be practical with the mass involved - I would think you would be losing precision on the touchdown. Could drift over to Disney world or something. Landing on a small barge would be proving your control of precision while doing so with relative safety. Speculating that once they can do that successfully they start landing where they want to.

What I wonder about is how they get around MARPOL Annex V, you can’t throw anything overboard anymore.

Does the DP computer complete the RVI’s while in drone mode? Their VGP paperwork must be as messy as the deck.

[QUOTE=socalguy;159782]For anyone interested here’s a pic of the barge after this most recent landing attempt:

[/QUOTE]
OOPS. To bake a cake you gotta break some eggs. One egg down.

[QUOTE=tengineer1;159798]OOPS. To bake a cake you gotta break some eggs. One egg down.[/QUOTE]

WRONG! They pranged another one back in January too!

//youtu.be/V3wZRdg-Tmo

they also had one blow up over Texas last year too

oops!

“Ours always blow up.”

Yeah, right, I’d blame a “slow throttle valve”, or maybe a Deckhand. Soon to be Two Autonomous Barges floating around…

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2015/04/fine-tuning-falcon-9-landing-throttle-valve-response/