Housekeeping is watchkeeping

I have never seen that rule and I sure do not want anybody in my room except for me. I have always cleaned my own room and always will.

1 Like

I inventoried a store room on a trip last year and found parts labeled “BAD” in the bins. Not even “Used but Good”.

“BAD.” For example, a solenoid valve stuffed back into a box. The new one was installed, and the bad one tossed back on the shelf, for some reason known only unto the person who did it. “BAD” written on the part in Sharpie.

Filled three five gallon buckets with stuff like that.

2 Likes

Catherder, I am retired, and you are contemplating it whenever. Had I been still working, would more than welcome you on my vessel or recommend you to my pals that are still working.You know your shit.

The 5S and similar is good, and makes jobs faster if you have routine jobs you can stage for, or for general work, but outside of a production environment I think you get rid of the squirrel stash altogether at your own peril. Maintenance is just not manufacturing, no matter what anyone wants to say about “just in time” parts and stores. It drives me crazy that I can’t implement more stuff like that on the ship but manufacturing is just not quite like anything else, unfortunately. So controlled!

Then again if I had the garage looking that good at home my wife would probably do everything herself and I’d never have to pick up a tool again around here, better get on that one!

The point is not about carrying sufficient spares. A ship should have a critical spares list based on the manufactures lists and from the crew’s experience and so forth. That’s separate from good housekeeping.

Imagine a 15 year old ship that was kept shipshape with a perfect inventory of spares and the Good Chief had been ruthless keeping things in order and about getting rid of unneeded “used but good” and excess materials.

Now if a sister ship was being sold, the crew there had been 15 years rat packs and Bad Chief offered to transfer all his “stuff” for free to the well run ship, would Good Chief be wise to accept the offer?

2 Likes

Dare I say - Housekeeping is Husbandry?
Casting my mind back to a “past life in a blue suit”, ship husbandry was a Thing. Furthermore, as a WAFU, aircraft husbandry was a well-documented (i.e. sign here to say it’s been done) Thing.
Is it beyond the remit of today’s over Cover Yer Arse, over-documented ISM/PMS/TLA world to include a bit?

The packrat in me would at least look at some of the shit. My mom was ultimate Queen of yard sales, Only they weren’t her yard sales… Helluva time cleaning her basement out. Was some good stuff, on occasion, but mostly everyone else’s junk. God bless her for the good stuff.

Filled three five-gallon buckets with stuff like that.

1 Like

Rig-wide we are having a dejunking campaign. Hauling so much stuff up to the garbage segregation place! Sure would be nice if we had a couple of motormen to lend a hand. If I grow any more muscles I’m going to have to pick my WWE name.

1 Like

Junk Rig Dog, Tug Trasher, Bucket Man, …

“Bucket Man” would make them scratch their heads.

:candy:&:hot_pepper:, :no_entry_sign: :eggplant:

1 Like

Junk Rig Dog, Tug Trasher, Bucket Man

Sorry @SeaEagle the correct answer is “person, woman, man camera TV”

3 Likes

Was not intentional I left the ladies out. My bride of over 40 years is on my shoulder every time I try to throw the old shit out. She does at least agree to save the tools for both of my sons. Holiday decorations and old pictures are a challenge to get a decent lunch at times. My truck and I are good friends. She does not have a key, I think.

You are politically correct KPChief. I do value your opinion. I have more names, but don’t want to offend anyone. But what the hell, I’m retired and don’t give a shit at this point. This site is worthy to display experience and facts, with a little bit of levity. You and Cmakin are very reliable in your posts. No reason to kiss your asses, don’t know you, but you cats tell it like it is/was.

I don’t reckon anyone is offended. If you want to offend a mariner you had better try a lot harder, pops.

(Or leave the shop in a state: that might do it…)

1 Like

I am very capable of enraging people Emrobu, most mariners with thicker skin will perhaps understand my logic, maybe not, I count you among them that do.Thank you sir if you do.

1 Like

:high_heel:, :no_entry_sign: :tophat:;
:cat:, :no_entry_sign: :peacock:;
:taco:, :no_entry_sign: :hotdog:,:no_entry_sign: :banana:, :no_entry_sign: :cucumber:, :no_entry_sign:
oh nevermind.

6 Likes

On one Tug that I sailed on for about 7 years, the opposite CE had been on her since she was built back in the 70’s, this was in the 90’s. When he moved to another vessel, it was my chance to get rid of all of the “Used but Good” crap! I swear it took me a week to find and get rid of all of the old wall heaters! My Captain joked with me that I would be able to carry more fuel now as our draft had come up quite a bit!

All joking aside, I never understood the “Used but Good” mentality, if I took it out, it was for a reason and I did not safe it! On another Tug I remember finding 12 shutdown solenoids for a Cat all marked “UBG”. These were a royal P.I.A. to change out and there was no way I would ever go threw the trouble of replacing one if I didn’t had a new one on hand!

These were two different boat in two different companies, I never had any problem ordering or receiving any spares that I ordered. So, why those guys saved all of the crap that they did is beyond me.