Holliday food onboard

Hey, I was wondering if you guys had any interesting traditions or recipes for those times When you’re onboard. I figured its bad enough there’s no snow in the gulf, what do you do to celebrate?

Our cooks are going to be off or home and I am going to make whatever is in the fridge in my room. No troll. If there is anyone else here and we can get a car, we will try to go out to dinner.

It’s effing depressing.

You going to be stuck at the NOAA HQ in Norfolk?

[QUOTE=catherder;126031]Our cooks are going to be off or home and I am going to make whatever is in the fridge in my room. No troll. If there is anyone else here and we can get a car, we will try to go out to dinner.

It’s effing depressing.[/QUOTE]

Not to hijack the thread but 12/25 has to be the most difficult day of the year for a working mariner. If you can get to shore for the day, I think volunteering for people less fortunate would be a day well spent. See if you can help with Christmas dinner at a shelter or something.

If you are out to sea, I don’t know what to suggest. Maybe a SAT call home? Curious what gets you guys through the day.

Working. As much as possible.

Any holiday I’ve ever spent at sea the meal consisted of the same shit we always eat, just more of it.

Leg of lamb, roast baby pig, jumbo shrimp stuffed with crab meat, king crab legs, prime rib, spiral cut honey ham, roast turkey with dressing, filet mignon, all the desserts you can think of. That is all I can remember right now. I leave for work today and will be there for Christmas and New Year’s. I did approve the menu and then the rig manager approved the quote. It is bad enough to be there during the holidays, at least we can have an amazing meal. Always plan an awesome meal, it makes all the difference in the world.

Rub it in Capt. Lee!

We’ll make sure that those grocery boxes get there…

[QUOTE=“coldduck;126070”]Rub it in Capt. Lee![/QUOTE]

Believe me ladies and gentlemen, I have had my share of ham sandwich holidays on the boats. Luckily I am in a position to make a difference now. Hope you all have a merry Christmas and remember we are all very fortunate to be in this industry. I have many friends that did not do so well these past six years.

[QUOTE=“Traitor Yankee;126071”]

We’ll make sure that those grocery boxes get there…[/QUOTE]

I made sure to order extra.

Then I’ll make sure the boxes don’t get washed with a firehose!

Santa doesn’t come if you don’t go.

Fact is, on a typical 28-14 boat schedule, 2/3rds of crew misses it. Better man up.

Lobsters, rib roasts, we try and do it up. We crewchange Xmas eve since the other crew was on for Xmas last year and we make sure to get every other off. The perks of a steady crew.

I’m figuring we’re getting a roast suckling pig… Somebody better order apples !

Pork Loin 10kg
Pork Belly 20kg
Rump 10kg
Lamb shoulder rolled 10kg
Beef topside 15kg
Beef Tenderloin 4x4lb
Lamb legs 8 PCE
Mince beef 20kg
Pork chops 10kg
Bacon Back 10kg
Bacon streaky 10kg
Suckling Pig 2 small

Poultry
Chicken breast 20kg
Chicken Whole 10x1300gr
Chicken drumsticks 20kg
whole Turkey ( 3 pcs) 3x 4 - 5kg

Seafood
Frozen peeled 16/20 prawns 10kg
Salmon fillets 4x2.5kg
Plaice fillets cleaned 10kg
Crumbed frozen calamari rings 10kg
Green lipped mussels 10kg
Baby clams 5kg
Swordfish 10kg
Smoked Salmon 1x20kg
Norwegian Salmon 1x10kg
Mahi Mahi Fillets 500/800grs 20kg
Sea bass fillets 10kg

Asian
Black bean paste 1kg
Chillis 2kg
Coconut cream 20L
Coconut milk 20L
Dessicated coconut 5kg
Egg Noodle 2kg
Galangal (fresh) 2kg
Giyoza/pork dumpling 2kg
Glass noodle 2kg
Lemon grass 1kg
Mirin 5l
Miso Paste 2kg
Nem 1 box
Pickled Ginger 5kg
Prawn Crackers (crupuk) 2kg
Sesame seeds (black) 2kg
Sesame seeds (green) 2kg
Sesame seeds (red) 2kg
Sesame seeds (yellow) 2kg
Soba Noodles 5kg
Soy Sauce 20L
Sushi rice 20kg
Sushi seasoning 4l
Wasabi 2kg

[QUOTE=KrustySalt;126041]You going to be stuck at the NOAA HQ in Norfolk?[/QUOTE]

I wish…I live near Norfolk.

No, I am posting from Newport, Oregon.

They are fleet messing on the Rainier until Friday, I think, then we are on our own for food until the New Year.

So it’s up to us to find a restaurant on Christmas Eve (everything will be closed here Christmas Day).

You need a vehicle or bicycle to get around here unless you really, really like to walk even in the rain.

So…yeah, how nice of them not to make some kind of arrangements for those of us here away from home.

My New Year’s resolution is to find another job. I literally can’t afford to work here, anyway

Several years I have hosted a dinner for destitute NOAA mariners at my house. It was alway a great success. Sadly I won’t be home this year to do that. Check around, I’m sure there will be a gathering of vagabonds somewhere.

[QUOTE=catherder;126388]My New Year’s resolution is to find another job. I literally can’t afford to work here, anyway[/QUOTE]

Hiring a new 1st Assistant and an electrician on the TSSOM as we speak. Throw your name in!

[QUOTE=Bloodyshitcakes;126413]Several years I have hosted a dinner for destitute NOAA mariners at my house. It was alway a great success. Sadly I won’t be home this year to do that. Check around, I’m sure there will be a gathering of vagabonds somewhere.[/QUOTE]

Will do. Or, I can start my own vagabond express!

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;126417]Hiring a new 1st Assistant and an electrician on the TSSOM as we speak. Throw your name in![/QUOTE]

Hey, thanks for the info Paddy

Most times when I sailed over Christmas, we just either had the same ol’ or maybe a turkey or ham; not much fuss. Very different from the first Christmas when I was at sea on the MONTANA. Those stewards put out a spread that was just incredible. As I stated in other threads, they were a west coast crew and most came from the PFE/Matson ships and could really lay it on. In my current job, I can be stuck offshore for the holidays, too; but I have been able to avoid being gone for Christmas over the last 16 years somehow. I HAVE missed a few Thanksgivings, though. I have to say one of my worst memories of a holiday meal was when I was on a platform offshore of the Ivory Coast monitoring dive operations for potential damage. The Platform Manager and engineer were from Louisiana, so the French steward thought it would be nice to prepare frog legs sauce piquant for Thanksgiving. Well, my guess is that the frogs were sourced locally, because that meal tasted like something that came from the bottom of a stagnant pond. Ironically, we had turkey on Friday, and that was at least edible.