Hi all

If you don´t have a 400 word vocabulary you may be the perfect candidate.

i got a 400 word vocabulary,just getting them altogether in the same place at the same time

well life has been giving me some cruel twists for awhile now but i finally got the word from the school

i got accepted in,don’t have an appearance date yet ,got some more certs and shots to get yet :frowning:

Cool man, good luck. It’s a step in the right direction if you want to get into working deep sea. If you have questions feel free to ask.

[QUOTE=exodus;176587]well life has been giving me some cruel twists for awhile now but i finally got the word from the school

i got accepted in,don’t have an appearance date yet ,got some more certs and shots to get yet :([/QUOTE]

Congratulations! Good to hear a positive success story this days.

[QUOTE=exodus;176587]well life has been giving me some cruel twists for awhile now but i finally got the word from the school

i got accepted in,don’t have an appearance date yet ,got some more certs and shots to get yet :([/QUOTE]

Good Job… nice way to start your new year!

Get through that program and land your first job through them if you have to but I would jump ship as soon as you can find something permanent with a company. Look into their inland division…like the Crowley tugs, I think you can be permanent somewhere with them on some of the military ships too. Shipping through the hall deep sea though will not be fun. It will take forever to get sea days, they will tell you you have to ship 8 months and the rest of your time be spent at piney point taking classes. It is very difficult to plan anything or accomplish much like that. If you can’t get permanent somewhere with them even working research for a university is better even though your monthly rate might be lower because you won’t be sitting at a union hall packed full of people that are all looking for the same job you are that may take you three months to get. “Vacations” are not enjoyed when you spend them trying to get your next job. Heed my warning…

[QUOTE=exodus;168165]well i had no idea there was a seafarers forum,i should have known tho ,wish i would have found this place months ago !!

the better half of my working life has been commercial fishing in Alaska,but the dam sport guides are fighting to get us out of the water,and they are making headway so its time to jump to another ship

younger brother got recruited right out of high school into the SIU at Piney Pt ,i have been a little envious of him since then too

enough of that jibber jabber

part of my application process requires me to write an essay with at least a minimum of 400 words about why i want to be a merchant marine,thats where i need help as i am only at 250 words and totally stumped on where to go it with now

so in short i am asking for some help ,reasons why to join the seafarers ???[/QUOTE]

Try using [U][B]this[/U][/B]. Just change the last line from “…gone to college” to “…gone to sea.”

That’s simple. Hire someone to write it for you. Try a resume writing service, teacher, reporter, good secretary, etc.

btw the essay is done and been submitted long time ago

now i am having a helluva time finding the locations of local USCG offices,i am in Alaska and they should be every dam place but i can’t find a single one any where online !!

need to get my MMC next

[QUOTE=exodus;176993]btw the essay is done and been submitted long time ago

now i am having a helluva time finding the locations of local USCG offices,i am in Alaska and they should be every dam place but i can’t find a single one any where online !!

need to get my MMC next[/QUOTE]

Hopefully you can operate a paint brush better than Google. There is only one obvious city in Alaska for a Regional Examination Center. Hence the word “regional” - USCG RECs are not everywhere, but for local USCG, if you manage to capsize and find yourself next to a floating EPIRB…you have more options to interface with the USCG if that is what you’re thinking about “every [I]damn[/I] place”.

Try Search “Anchorage USCG REC”

First Result…
[B]Location:[/B]

222 W. 7th Ave.,
Box 55, Rm. 156
Anchorage, AK 99513

[B]Phone[/B]: 1-(888) 427-5662
[B]Fax[/B]: 1-(907) 271-6742

If you are in south east check out the Ketchikan rec. I think they forward everything through anchorage anyway, but it’s another option. Since moving to Alaska I have dealt exclusively with anchorage and they seem to be very on the ball. I can always get a hold of someone, and they forward things to NMC quickly. Submit everything in pdf and you shouldn’t have issues.

[QUOTE=anchorman;176994]Hopefully you can operate a paint brush better than Google. There is only one obvious city in Alaska for a Regional Examination Center. Hence the word “regional” - USCG RECs are not everywhere, but for local USCG, if you manage to capsize and find yourself next to a floating EPIRB…you have more options to interface with the USCG if that is what you’re thinking about “every [I]damn[/I] place”.

Try Search “Anchorage USCG REC”

First Result…
[B]Location:[/B]

222 W. 7th Ave.,
Box 55, Rm. 156
Anchorage, AK 99513

[B]Phone[/B]: 1-(888) 427-5662
[B]Fax[/B]: 1-(907) 271-6742[/QUOTE]

not just everybody is a fan of google search ,but it seems every forum has the it took 1 sec search comment

thanks for your search results just the same ,as you can see mine were totally different and mostly useless

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=lm&q=USCG+Alaska

and NO !! i am not going to move over to google search .the DNS population for my ISP is even worse then what i am using now

[QUOTE=cajaya;176764]Get through that program and land your first job through them if you have to but I would jump ship as soon as you can find something permanent with a company. Look into their inland division…like the Crowley tugs, I think you can be permanent somewhere with them on some of the military ships too. Shipping through the hall deep sea though will not be fun. It will take forever to get sea days, they will tell you you have to ship 8 months and the rest of your time be spent at piney point taking classes. It is very difficult to plan anything or accomplish much like that. If you can’t get permanent somewhere with them even working research for a university is better even though your monthly rate might be lower because you won’t be sitting at a union hall packed full of people that are all looking for the same job you are that may take you three months to get. “Vacations” are not enjoyed when you spend them trying to get your next job. Heed my warning…[/QUOTE]

i understand what you are saying ,my brother got recruited right out of high school 12 years ago by the SIU in a displaced fishermans program,it paid all the pre-qualifying test and certs ,at the time i was on the slope and well on my way to a 6 figure income,thats why i didn’t pursue this then,then oil started dropping and so did the hands up there

he did sit on the bench for quite some time once ,but he also stayed on board for 8 months straight another time
last time i talked with him was a year ago,he is no longer union ,Chevron hired him directly,now he does a 90\60 with a 6 figure income ,think he will 30 this june too,he pursued and did everything right and hit the jackpot

shame he married an ugly gold digging c_nt tho

[QUOTE=exodus;177180]not just everybody is a fan of google search ,but it seems every forum has the it took 1 sec search comment

thanks for your search results just the same ,as you can see mine were totally different and mostly useless

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=lm&q=USCG+Alaska

and NO !! i am not going to move over to google search .the DNS population for my ISP is even worse then what i am using now[/QUOTE]

I’m sure “Google” is generic for search engine. Regardless of what search engine you use you need to search *** REC *** not just USCG. There are many USCG bases up there, but that doesn’t mean shit. Also, the NMC’s website lists the location of every REC in the country, go check out their list.

Is Hornbeck hiring? Check this out. http://maritimejobs.org/job/6645-2/

[QUOTE=Lookout;177233]Is Hornbeck hiring? Check this out. http://maritimejobs.org/job/6645-2/[/QUOTE]

There are also posts from Aries, Tidewater, and Don Jon Towing. I expect it’s resume gathering…

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;177234]There are also posts from Aries, Tidewater, and Don Jon Towing. I expect it’s resume gathering…[/QUOTE]

Considering Hornbeck and the rest of the choices mentioned above, I am most grateful to be employed where I’m at.

well i made it through the 2nd phase of acceptance ,i am slated to show up at piney point august 8th

i do have one last physical i have to pass,the benzene test has me concerned as i was a smoker for a very long time

any insight into that issue is much appreciated ,as all my searching has only come up with the end results of benzene poisoning or what to do if exposed

You’ll be fine. It has been almost 10 years since I worked on tankers (AHL) but back then they just took some blood and then did some tests on it. Unless you’ve had some kind of serious exposure to Benzene in your life the test will come back negative (which means you pass). I wouldn’t worry about it. If you get bad news on the Benzene test that in itself would be worse news than not getting into the SIU apprentice program.

Good luck with your career.