Heart valve and blood thinners and waivers

I have searched and find no posts on my topic. I have a heart valve that leaks and needs to be replaced. My choices are biologic which requires no blood thinners but will need to be replaced in 15-20 years or a mechanical valve that will never need to be replaced but requires the lifelong use of blood thinners like Coumadin to prevent blood clots.

My questions: anybody know of what the USCG thinks of heart valve replacements and the ability to get waivers with the heart valve replacement and separately the blood thinners? I have a waiver for the leaky heart valve right now.

My cardiologists say that I can play NFL football after the operation as far as heart function goes and I will have a good stress test 10 weeks after the operation.

My health is otherwise good to excellent. I am in my 50’s.

The USCG will prob let you sail but make you do stress test every 2 years. (I have to) in 15 years they’ll probably have a valve that’ll make you live another 40 years… as distasteful the prospect of having to go into surgery again is I think I’d avoid the thinners but they will no doubt vastly improve those things too in a few years. Either way, I think you’ll get a go from medical and if you avoid the thinners maybe in a few years they’ll quit making you do a stress test every 2 years but I sure wouldn’t count on it… and let me tell you: it’s a hassel!

[QUOTE=85TJ;161735]I have searched and find no posts on my topic. I have a heart valve that leaks and needs to be replaced. My choices are biologic which requires no blood thinners but will need to be replaced in 15-20 years or a mechanical valve that will never need to be replaced but requires the lifelong use of blood thinners like Coumadin to prevent blood clots.

My questions: anybody know of what the USCG thinks of heart valve replacements and the ability to get waivers with the heart valve replacement and separately the blood thinners? I have a waiver for the leaky heart valve right now.

My cardiologists say that I can play NFL football after the operation as far as heart function goes and I will have a good stress test 10 weeks after the operation.

My health is otherwise good to excellent. I am in my 50’s.[/QUOTE]

See nos. 72 and 74 on pages 15-16 of Enclosure 3 to NVIC 4-08.

Thanks jimrr and Mr. Cavo. I now see that item 74 says 6 months of INR numbers to get the waiver for the use of blood thinners. I have read that document before but had forgotten about it with all that is on my mind right now. I will have a stress test or GXT before I am sent home. I will also have an operative report when I leave the hospital. So it looks like I will have all I need to go back to work…Thanks for your answers.

Out of curiosity jimrr, have you had a heart valve replaced or repaired?

Thanks again…