Having trouble any help would be great

You must be a minimum of AB Limited to be an AB on a vessel over 1600/3000 tons. You can work as AB with a Special on tugs and supply boats though.

Not exactly true. AB Special can work on a vessel over 1600GRT/3000ITC. Up to 50% of the Able Seaman required on a vessel over 1600GRT/3000ITC can be AB Special or AB Limited. See 46 USC 7312

[QUOTE=dredgeboater;80047]Not exactly true. AB Special can work on a vessel over 1600GRT/3000ITC. Up to 50% of the Able Seaman required on a vessel over 1600GRT/3000ITC can be AB Special or AB Limited. See 46 USC 7312[/QUOTE]

But not with a company that “requires” by its own demands that all be A.B. UL. In this time of tight hiring, they can be selective. There are more of us than are required right now.

There will always be companies that will insist on hiring people that have higher qualifications than required. That will be more prevalent when companies can do that and still man their vessels. But there are companies out there that will hire any level of AB to fill a billet (so long as they meet their need for the required number of Limited or Unlimited). Someone with a AB Special right now might just have to work a bit harder at getting a spot.

There are plenty of crewboats, small tugs, and other vessels under 100 tons that do not even require a MMC as OS. Having an AB card should be quite an advantage for these jobs. My advise is don’t overlook these small vessels as a place to get some good work experience, especially if you can get on with a company that also has larger vessels that you can move up to after you prove yourself.

I was just eager to work in the gom. I will go down there in a couple of weeks and try to sell my self to a company. If i have no luck with that ill just go back to tankers and ammo ships until i can upgrade to my unlimited. Thanks guys

Hmm. I swear it was different last time I read it a few years ago. Oh well, you are correct.