Having doubts

Why? Are you rooting for one? LOL.

Actually that’s a good question. Never happened whence I was there but someone more au courant will know.

Totally not rooting for a shutdown but MSC seems like its in the sweetspot between gov and civi to not get paid during a shutdown. And recent events dont give me much confidence in us being financially stable.
Would be nice to know before effectively enlisting with them for 3 years.

I believe there money comes through DOD, which in the last major government shutdown, was not affected.

1 Like

Sure but from what I can see the majority of the Coast Guard was operating without pay during the 2019 shutdown. Now granted I has a buddy in the Navy and the CG in 2019 and the Navy guy got paid the the Coastie didnt.

that’s because navy’s DOD and Coast Guard is funded by Department of homeland security

1 Like

Experiences in MSC range from absolutely terrible to pretty dam good. You can be relieved anywhere between on time and I think 10 months overdue was the worst I ever saw under some pretty bad circumstances. I would say on time to 2 months overdue is pretty typical. You can work under/around people who can range from the kindest most hardworking person you’ll ever meet to the biggest asshole psychopath you’ll ever meet. Most people land between the two extremes though, of course.

My numbers may be a little off here, but basically let’s just say: there’s 50 ships out there, each with 100 people on them, each with a different schedule, each with a different material condition. With all those variables you don’t really know what you’re going to get.

You’re already on the track, give it a shot. If you don’t like it quit, or maybe just take a medical leave and roll the dice with another ship.

1 Like

you forgot to tell him that the good ships are all homesteaded

Update: I want to thank everyone here for their advice but I’ve decided to back out and take a more mundane and predictable job. Again, thank you for the advice.

2 Likes

When in doubt, pull out.

4 Likes

Yes - that’s right. From the best to the psycho.

But that describes not only MSC but any seagoing endeavor

1 Like

It describes many land going endeavors also . Difference is the land guys get to go home at night and seek sympathy. Those on ships just have to suck it up and get on with things until they get relieved. It builds character, and in some cases characters :slight_smile:

1 Like

Absolutely.

I thought exactly that when posting. So true anywhere in life actually.

Although fully ticketed and good to go …. I’m not sure I could stand the characters onboard.
My life definitely doesn’t need the noise anymore …. LOL.

Due to good fortune I get to deal with the newbuilds and dockings now and everyone gets the point without drama or debate.

We got ‚x‘ days to git er done and accordingly - you’re either with us or agin‘ us. Make your mind up by afternoon coffee. :joy:

1 Like