H.r. 2651

Hello, Everybody I’ve been reading gcaptain for awhile, it’s nice to have somewhere to get all the scuttle butt on the happenings of our industry. Has anybody heard of HR bill 2651, the maritime workforce development act? I read about in it “Workboat” several months ago. The bill is supposed to provide loans for mariners to pay school tuitions and other fees. Mariners would be able to borrow up $60K over the course of their career (limited to $15k per year). Each loan would have a pay back period of 10yrs. Does anyone have additional input??? Thanks.

It hasnt passed yet

Introduced Jun 2, 2009
Referred to Committee View Committee Assignments
Reported by Committee Jun 4, 2009
Passed House Oct 14, 2009
Senate Vote …
Signed by President …
This bill has been passed in the House. The bill now goes on to be voted on in the Senate. Keep in mind that debate may be taking place on a companion bill in the Senate, rather than on this particular bill. [Last Updated: Nov 13, 2009 9:34PM]
Last Action:
Oct 15, 2009: Received in the Senate and Read twice and referred to the Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation.

Votes:
Oct 14, 2009: This bill passed in the House of Representatives by voice vote. A record of each representative’s position was not kept.

waiting to be voted on in the senate nov 30 2009 i think

This bill has been incorporated in HR 3619 which is the Coast Guard Reauthorization for 2010. There are several goodies that are very popular to states and industry, so the Senate might actually take this one on. A new Coast Guard Icebreaker, taking the limit off OSV tonnage, and the Mariner Loan Program is included.

Thanks for the input. I hope it passes the senate. I have got a bunch of classes I need to take!

[QUOTE=BH Dually;21669]Thanks for the input. I hope it passes the senate. I have got a bunch of classes I need to take![/QUOTE]

Some schools like PMI and MITAGS currently offer low cost loans through Sallie Mae, or at least they did - I’m pretty sure. Might be worth checking out.

[quote=kfj;21666]It hasnt passed yet
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-2651[/quote]

track what they have on this…
http://www.govtrack.us/users/events.xpd?monitors=bill:h111-2651

for e-mail updates and tracker/feeds…
http://www.govtrack.us/users/yourmonitors.xpd

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD>[RIGHT]<NOBR>H.R. 3619:</NOBR>[/RIGHT]
</TD><TD rowSpan=2>Coast Guard Authorization Act of 2010
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
[B](Includes the Maritime Workforce Development Act[/B])
<TABLE style=“MARGIN-BOTTOM: 1em” border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=8><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD>This bill has been passed in the House. The bill now goes on to be voted on in the Senate. Keep in mind that debate may be taking place on a companion bill in the Senate, rather than on this particular bill. [Last Updated: Jan 6, 2010 3:43AM]
</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD class=lh><NOBR>Last Action:</NOBR>
</TD><TD>Nov 2, 2009: Read twice. Placed on Senate Legislative Calendar under General Orders. Calendar No. 195.</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD class=lh>Other Titles:
</TD><TD>-- Alien Smuggling and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2009
– America’s Waterway Watch Act
– Coast Guard Acquisition Reform Act of 2009
– Coast Guard Modernization Act of 2009
– Cruise Vessel Security and Safety Act of 2009
– Great Lakes Icebreaker Replacement Act
– Maritime Safety Act of 2009
–[B] Maritime Workforce Development Act[/B]
– United States Coast Guard Servicemember Benefits Improvements Act
– United States Mariner and Vessel Protection Act of 2009
</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD class=lh>Related:
</TD><TD>See the Related Legislation page for other bills related to this one and a list of subject terms that have been applied to this bill. Sometimes the text of one bill or resolution is incorporated into another, and in those cases the original bill or resolution, as it would appear here, would seem to be abandoned.
</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD class=lh>Votes:
</TD><TD>Oct 23, 2009: This bill [B]passed[/B] in the [B]House of Representatives[/B]
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
For Further Details See: http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-3619

One wonders if Obama’s discretionary spending freeze will hose this bill.