Gtrax on iphone questions

Hi,

I’m a noob here, just downloaded gtrax and registered on the forum. Me: trimaran racer on the Chesapeake Bay, have had some near misses in night races from silent runners (tugs and cargo ships).

My questions:

Gtrax seems to spend a looong time in an “updating” state. I mean, >15 minutes with a good 3G signal. Why does it take so long to get a data dump?

How often does the Gtrax server update the ship data for users that are not subscribed to any region?

For users not subscribed, are updates pushed to the iphone, or must the user request an updated data set?

Is the entire region downloaded at a time, or is it incrementally downloaded as you pan/zoom the map?

It looks like a nice app, thanks!
/John

John,

Sorry for the delayed reply…

Gtrax seems to spend a looong time in an “updating” state. I mean, >15 minutes with a good 3G signal. Why does it take so long to get a data dump?

It shouldn’t take that long… what region are you in?

How often does the Gtrax server update the ship data for users that are not subscribed to any region?

We have temporarily approved continuous updates free of charge to subscribers.

For users not subscribed, are updates pushed to the iphone, or must the user request an updated data set?

Updates are pushed.

Is the entire region downloaded at a time, or is it incrementally downloaded as you pan/zoom the map?

It’s all downloaded at once.

I was in the Northern Virginia area when I was testing.
AT&T network.
Nice to have the continuous updates.

When I check Marine Traffic’s traffic, I can see several vessels not show by GTrax.

• some are stationary (aka Navigational Aids)
  • others are mobile

How big is the baltimore area’s coverage? Down to Potomac River?

/John

[QUOTE=torrmundi;40990]
How big is the baltimore area’s coverage? Down to Potomac River?
[/QUOTE]

To tell you the truth, I am not certain. We get the feed from MIS, so you may want to contact them for the answer.