Future of ships

[QUOTE=ombugge;182459] By the way, isn’t the Pride of America US flag?
What happened to American seamen on American flag ships?
Do that apply only to vessels in Jones Act trade?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;182461]Pride of America is Jones Act, I think. I might be wrong but I was under the impression that she was doing California to Hawaii cruises. As for the Jones Act itself I believe only a certain percentage of crew have to be American. 75% maybe? I don’t remember exactly.[/QUOTE]

The Engine and Deck is US and Union. It’s the Hotel side (non-Union), which is mixed. The front staff is mostly US, with the back staff from Asia (Indians, Koreans, Filipinos and Indonesians, which I noticed) and primarily from South America.

I forgot to add that PoA has stopped CA and only sails around HI.

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;182461]Pride of America is Jones Act, I think. [/QUOTE]

Since cruise ships don’t carry cargo the Passenger Vessel Services Act applies.

[QUOTE=Steamer;182489]Since cruise ships don’t carry cargo the Passenger Vessel Services Act applies.[/QUOTE]

Out of sheer curiosity and to further my knowledge, how does that Act make a difference, especially in reference to being US crewed?

[QUOTE=smoker;182491]Out of sheer curiosity and to further my knowledge, how does that Act make a difference, especially in reference to being US crewed?[/QUOTE]

Since they both turn a propeller, what’s the difference between a steamboat and a motorboat?

19 CFR 4.80a - Coastwise transportation of passengers.

[QUOTE=Steamer;182495]Since they both turn a propeller, what’s the difference between a steamboat and a motorboat?

19 CFR 4.80a - Coastwise transportation of passengers.[/QUOTE]

Interesting. From that CFR:

(b) The applicability of the coastwise law (46 U.S.C. 55103) to a vessel not qualified to engage in the coastwise trade (i.e., either a foreign-flag vessel or a U.S.-flag vessel that is foreign-built or at one time has been under foreign-flag) which embarks a passenger at a coastwise port is as follows:
(1) If the passenger is on a voyage solely to one or more coastwise ports and the passenger disembarks or goes ashore temporarily at a coastwise port, there is a violation of the coastwise law.
(2) If the passenger is on a voyage to one or more coastwise ports and a nearby foreign port or ports (but at no other foreign port) and the passenger disembarks at a coastwise port other than the port of embarkation, there is a violation of the coastwise law.
(3) If the passenger is on a voyage to one or more coastwise ports and a distant foreign port or ports (whether or not the voyage includes a nearby foreign port or ports) and the passenger disembarks at a coastwise port, there is no violation of the coastwise law provided the passenger has proceeded with the vessel to a distant foreign port.
(c) An exception to the prohibition in this section is the transportation of passengers between ports in Puerto Rico and other ports in the U.S. on passenger vessels not qualified to engage in the coastwise trade. Such transportation is permitted until there is a finding under 46 U.S.C. 55104 that a qualified U.S.-flag passenger vessel is available for such service.

Nothing personal and not debating anything, but from the plaques that I saw on the bulkhead on Deck 5, she first sailed into Bayonne in 2005, picking up passengers in GA and FL, along the way, sailed through the Panama Canal, picked up more passengers in CA, and has been in HI ever since. I was on her while she was dry docked in SFO last month and it was an interesting experience :slight_smile: Well, at least it fulfilled my curiosity about sailing & working on a passenger vessel. :slight_smile:

From Pride of America back to autonomous ships.
The Pride of the US Navy. Here is a drone “ship” that will soon ply the oceans all on it’s own: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3517983/Watch-Navy-s-ghost-hunter-set-sail-132-foot-long-drone-boat-scour-seas-months-time-looking-enemy-submarines.html
You still wants to tell me that it cannot be done in my lifetime?? (Or yours, whichever is shortets)
Belonging to the US Navy I presume that International Maritime Laws, Rules and regulations doesn’t apply??

It won’t have any trouble finding these old things…

The rules apply to us when we feel like it because we have lots of these…

Might makes right

[QUOTE=ombugge;182593]Belonging to the US Navy I presume that International Maritime Laws, Rules and regulations doesn’t apply??[/QUOTE]

Actually, belonging to ANY navy. That’s why naval officers aren’t required to meet STCW requirements or any of the other international treaties concerning crew competency. Naval vessels also aren’t bound by MARPOL, SOLAS, etc.

[QUOTE=Kraken;182612]Might makes right[/QUOTE]

Get real. On which part of the planet does that not apply?

[QUOTE=Lee Shore;182636]Get real. On which part of the planet does that not apply?[/QUOTE]

I know, still mad about this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Copenhagen_(1807)

[QUOTE=Kraken;182637]I know, still mad about this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Copenhagen_(1807)[/QUOTE]

Really? That’s your answer?

[QUOTE=Lee Shore;182640]Really? That’s your answer?[/QUOTE]

Was real the first time, Might makes right. It’s called gunboat diplomacy. Fun and games until your the target.

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;182634]Actually, belonging to ANY navy. That’s why naval officers aren’t required to meet STCW requirements or any of the other international treaties concerning crew competency. Naval vessels also aren’t bound by MARPOL, SOLAS, etc.[/QUOTE]

Is that why the crash into stuff so often?

[QUOTE=Kraken;182641]Was real the first time, Might makes right. It’s called gunboat diplomacy. Fun and games until your the target.[/QUOTE]

Couldn’t tell if you were being facetious. You could call it gunboat diplomacy or the result of natural selection.

[QUOTE=johnny.dollar;182642]Is that why the crash into stuff so often?[/QUOTE]

It’s hard to see where you’re going when the bridge is more crowded than a Greek wedding.

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;182634]Actually, belonging to ANY navy. That’s why naval officers aren’t required to meet STCW requirements or any of the other international treaties concerning crew competency. Naval vessels also aren’t bound by MARPOL, SOLAS, etc.[/QUOTE]

I believe they are SUPPOSED to comply with the Colregs at least? Or are they exempt from those as well??

[QUOTE=smoker;182498]

Nothing personal and not debating anything, but from the plaques that I saw [/QUOTE]

I’m not sure of what you are saying other than the literal meaning of that statement but keep in mind that the [I]Pride of America[/I] is American flagged and always has been. It can pick up and drop off passengers from any port in America.

The [I]Pride of Aloha[/I] was previously foreign flagged and required an exemption from Congress to avoid having to stop at Fanning Island (a foreign port)to legally offer NCL’s itinerary. That exemption was granted because of extenuating circumstances that delayed delivery of Pride of America … it sank at the dock in Bremerhaven.

Despite being finished in a German yard, the Pride of America was built in the U.S. and the hull and materials were shipped to Germany for completion so it is legitimately an American vessel.

[QUOTE=ombugge;182654]I believe they are SUPPOSED to comply with the Colregs at least? Or are they exempt from those as well??[/QUOTE]

Yes, the COLREGS still apply to military vessels (at least most of the time).

[QUOTE=Lee Shore;182646]It’s hard to see where you’re going when the bridge is more crowded than a Greek wedding.[/QUOTE]

Like trying to compose a sentence when you have 15 people each responsible for one word of it.

Latest from Rolls-Royce on remote controlled or autonomous ships of the future: https://gcaptain.com/rolls-royce-reveals-latest-vision-for-drone-ships-this-is-happening/

The testing of systems will start soon on this ferry in Finland: http://www.motorship.com/news101/industry-news/naming-ceremony-of-stx-double-ended-ferry

How about this term; “the vessel’s ‘virtual captain’ are not far away”??
I can hear protests from the deck side, but approval from the engineers already.

Or this statement; "“This is happening. It’s not if, it’s when,” said Oskar Levander, VP of Innovation at Rolls-Royce Marine at the close of the conference. “This work supports the development of remote controlled and autonomous vessels and will enable proof of concept demonstration following the completion of the project. We will see a remote controlled ship in commercial use [U]by the end of the decade.[/U]”