Future of ships

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;182185]There’s no question that the wheelhouse is the human error weak point in shipping, navigation errors are always the largest slice of the accident pie charts.[/QUOTE]
This Captain at least have the excuse that he was drunk. How many cases are there where accidents are caused by human error, whether from incompetence or lack of proper qualifications?

On an autonomous ship there wouldn’t have been a drunk Captain, or a sober but incompetent one for that matter.

That there are cases like this happening only strengthen the resolve to develop unmanned vessel.

so the manning department for the control center will be able to select more competent masters? Why not just apply this to current manning and save a fuck load of money?!??

1 Like

[QUOTE=z-drive;182195]so the manning department for the control center will be able to select more competent masters? Why not just apply this to current manning and save a fuck load of money?!??[/QUOTE]

How do you figure that an autonomous ship is going to cost a lot more to build and equip than a conventional one?
A lot of expensive items needed to support a crew will not be needed on an autonomous ship.
Operational cost will be substantial less when you don’t have to pay crew wages, upkeep, travel etc.

I don’t think you should assume the companies and people spending time and money on this are all ignorant idiots that haven’t done a bit of research into the viability of what they are proposing, both technically and economically.

If we assume that because something hasn’t been done before it cannot be done in the near future, we will stagnate and never move ahead.

the aforementioned fuck load of money is the money spent to design, research, test, and implement the new technology.

[QUOTE=z-drive;182200]the aforementioned fuck load of money is the money spent to design, research, test, and implement the new technology.[/QUOTE]
And there are people willing to spend the money to do so. Why??

Crashes now are usually caused by human error.

Crashes in the future on autonomous ships will likely still be caused by human error.

It could be error in programming, error in design, or (same) error when the guy in the remote control center makes a navigational mistake.

Same shit, different toilet.

[QUOTE=johnny.dollar;182202]Crashes now are usually caused by human error.

Crashes in the future on autonomous ships will likely still be caused by human error.

It could be error in programming, error in design, or (same) error when the guy in the remote control center makes a navigational mistake.

Same shit, different toilet.[/QUOTE]

But no lives in danger, at least not on the autonomous vessel.

1 Like

[QUOTE=ombugge;182206]But no lives in danger, at least not on the autonomous vessel.[/QUOTE]

Anyone that says “crew lives” is their reason to go autonomous is full of shit.

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;182207]Anyone that says “crew lives” is their reason to go autonomous is full of shit.[/QUOTE]

That may be the American reality, but not necessarily true everywhere. Crew comfort and safety has high priority already today in some countries.

I agree, to say that that is the only reason to spend money on developing autonomous ships is not true though.
To reduce insurance risk and operating costs has a lot to do with it.

[QUOTE=ombugge;182206]But no lives in danger, at least not on the autonomous vessel.[/QUOTE]

There is also no captain to blame, which is a huge deal. Maritime law is very complicated and full of traditions.

And lives in danger? Come on, the bean counters don’t care about the crews!

wouldn’t it be cheaper to ensure you have qualified crew that don’t make many mistakes (they exist) than develop a whole new technology?

This isn’t being done for the greater good, it’s for profits. Case closed.

[QUOTE=lm1883;182209]Well said. Furthermore, what will be the cause of error when a family of 5 is run over while enjoying an evening under sail.[/QUOTE]

Cause: Probably because the WAFI don’t follow the Colregs, or even know anything about them.
Legal blame: Probably the owner/operator of the vessel, especially if the accident happens in US waters and the vessel was foreign.
(The same would apply if the vessel was manned as well)

in the US they go after CRIMINAL blame too-that’s what the people want. You can’t put ABC Shipping in jail, easy to put a captain in jail.

@Z-Drive.
Man,… I LOVE me some of her SpongBob! Where’s the rest of THAT photo?

I’ll see what I can do

Some are talking about the saving of not having a crew onboard with not having to have all of systems necessary to support having a Live Crew onboard. This is true but I would be surprised (if this ever happens) if there is not some sort of housing and assorted systems just incase of a Failure of the Auto Systems as I am sure that they will not let a ship sit for a couple of weeks waiting on spare parts to come in for those fancy systems.

In my opinion, as long as there are no androids, there will always be engineers on board a ship, probably with some training on navigation in case of emergency.

I don’t think many people understand just how harsh an environment the sea is on marine equipment. Corrosion, vibration, more corrosion. On top of that, ship’s engineers, while fairly expensive, are a heck of a lot cheaper than paying 3rd party to come fix equipment, and these companies are going to be hard pressed to find employees willing to work a few days every few weeks when the ship is in port.

Automation can make a vessel more efficient and cost effective, but the line is not linear. There comes a point where more automation means more maintenance than time saved doing maintenance or other tasks.

[QUOTE=deven;182221]these companies are going to be hard pressed to find employees willing to work a few days every few weeks when the ship is in port.[/QUOTE]

Well, that’s why they use third parties. If the companies use the same few contractors then the workers are always busy.

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;182225]Well, that’s why they use third parties. If the companies use the same few contractors then the workers are always busy.[/QUOTE]

Sure, they have to use 3rd party, which are way, way more expensive. I guess I could put it this way: Why aren’t all ships currently minimally manned in the Engine Room and all preventative and corrective maintenance done to them when they got to Port?

I can see them having ETO’s as well. I just don’t see how they wouldn’t be worried about cyber terrorism/hackers etc

Also, what will happen when a storm brews up, they get struck by lighting and they loose the signal?