Free BST,rent,food, AB/QMED if 25 or under

Can we make this a sticky?:slight_smile:

If you are 25 or younger and dream of working on the water- PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE read this. I kick myself that I didn’t learn of this until I was too old! :frowning:

Free seamanship training!!!

Where you ask??

The Job Corps Tongue Point Facility in Beautiful Astoria Oregon. NICE place- where they filmed “The Goonies” ,Kindergarten Cop", parts of “Free Willy” and other movies.

Free MMC, Free Twic, Free BST, free training for either AB or QMED, free rent, free gym, free food, free laundry, did I mention it’s FREE?

They PAY for your transportation…

They will help you get your GED…

You even get paid a little (not much) twice a month- and get up to $1200 when you graduate.

They also help you find work.

No- no don’t make much while you’re in- but this is an AWESOME opportunity! AB’s and QMED’s get paid pretty well- plus you can upgrade to the next level. PMI has an “AB to mate” program- or you can take classes near where you live…

Tongue Point website- www.tonguepoint.jobcorps.gov/home.aspx or 1 800 733 jobs

Job Corps bent over backward to help my brother get his certification in welding- call or email them now!:slight_smile:

Anthony

(I starred this myself because I think it’s THAT important)

I work with 2 guys that went there and both have done very well for themselves…

Ohh wow that’s one hell of a program!

I got a guy right now that this program would be perfect for, he’s 19 and doesn’t have a GED. Only problem is he’s got a 2 year old and his GF is going to school. But Im going to talk to him about it tonight.

hmmmm… so the government CAN do things correctly every now and again? it’s enough to make me start believing again.

If only they offered it free to people 31 years old and younger. :slight_smile:

WOW!!!
I very much like the sound of free,
gonna have to look into this as well once I get home.

Hey, OS I’m going to reply to you as soon as I am back in TX, had some
stuff come up with my brother and now find myself stuck in Memphis
(way colder than south TX) until Monday.:confused:

Thank you again for opening up possibly a new door, your help
on this forum is invaluable.

Gonna have to get off this busted ass computer before I start a riot in the lobby.

Kevin

If anyone on here gets in you should post about your experiences:)

I’ve always liked the idea of Job Corps- and was hoping that the stimulus bill would provide a large amount of it’s funding to an adult vocational program similar to Job Corps- or Piney Point- to increase the the number of skilled workers out there. Especially in the maritime industry- but also for computers and other career fields.

We keep hearing that we need to increase the ranks of our skilled trades-people. The problem is- lots of people don’t have the skill and training necessary to get a good job. It’s a catch-22…

Many can’t get a decent job because they don’t have the necessary training/certifications- and they can’t afford the certifications or training needed to get a good job.:o

I need to try to figure out a way to team up with a state/federal agency to do something like this for ADULT mariners… hmmm… going to do some research:)

You didn’t get the, “Hope” memo???:smiley:

I don’t know why I didn’t post a link to this. I actually worked at that Job Corps as a supervisor in the dorms about 7 years ago while I was going to college and studying for my license. I worked there two years. It is indeed a good program. The seamanship program is sponsored by one of the west coast unions I believe. The classrooms are held on a couple of vessels, one of which is a fully operational tug that the students take out on the Columbia River one day a week. Students also take two “work based learning” gigs while they are at TPJC, so when they leave they have their two years of class room training plus about four months of actual at sea work experience. Also, you can stay at TPJC until your 25 and it’s at least a two year program so applicants should be 22 or younger. Good luck.

Actually, what the government does correctly in this case is they sub contract out to private companies. There are over 100 job corps in the country (only one with a seamanship program) and they are all run privately. Contracts are only awarded for three years and if the company isn’t meeting standards they will loose the contract to someone else. I wish the schools, DMV, perhaps even C G REC’s were run this way.

[QUOTE=jthomas1600;28928]I don’t know why I didn’t post a link to this. I actually worked at that Job Corps as a supervisor in the dorms about 7 years ago while I was going to college and studying for my license. I worked there two years. It is indeed a good program. The seamanship program is sponsored by one of the west coast unions I believe. The classrooms are held on a couple of vessels, one of which is a fully operational tug that the students take out on the Columbia River one day a week. Students also take two “work based learning” gigs while they are at TPJC, so when they leave they have their two years of class room training plus about four months of actual at sea work experience. Also, you can stay at TPJC until your 25 and it’s at least a two year program so applicants should be 22 or younger. Good luck.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the the extra info- especially regarding age resprictions:)