Former USCG Licensing Experts assisting Mariners

I have used Chuck Kakuska (Sea K’s} and ther guy is aces!

I used Sea K’s back in the day. I’ve used Erika at MSDS more recently. Either would get my business again if needed.

[QUOTE=Mikey;77176]Wow, that’s cool. Thank god I know that now. Plus E comes before G in the alphabet so, fuck, he’s at least two letters better than us.

PS - nothing personal against the guy but its my duty to say something and I’m hope he’s enjoying the free referrals.[/QUOTE]

Missed the point on that one, and nothing personal? You did call him an asshole…

If I needed something fixed today of course I would tell the engineer to just do it. Assuming I knew how that repair would effect my vessel status; etc If I knew it was going to be a month or more before starting a project I would do research and make a plan. If you don’t do the resarch how do you have any idea what you are elidgable for or if you have the time etc? BTW when the office wants to know why the eff that boat can’t move, "I don’t know,I told the cheif to fix it " will not cut it.

[QUOTE=AB Murph;77150]Are you kidding me? Your the stupid captain I wouldn’t want to work for. You would rather spend 4 days reading the manual yourself then have the Engineer fix something? Use your resources my man.

I’m not supporting whoever they posted at the top in the OP. Just that its not a bad idea to have a pro do your stuff when you are moving up. If you have been holding the same lic. for 15 years and all you are doing getting a new issue thats one thing. For folks starting out though the CFR’s can be just over whelming. Heck, even to the guys that have been doing this forever have problems with what’s in the CFR’s but they can drive a boat and manage their people.

You remind me with your post of the muscle beach guys. You can’t use my equipment if you can’t lift 500 pounds all the while forgetting that you started out by lifting 100lb.[/QUOTE]

NO, the analogy is when you were in 5th grade and came to class unprepared, did the teacher do the home work for you? Or did you get an appropriate punishment? This seems to be what is missing here. Some times there were kids who NEVER got their homework in on time. Or there were others who always had some excuse. Or others who just didn’t show up on days when things were due.

I am fully aware that the CFRs are confusing, and can be read many ways. But it is what it is. Do I want my new Mate to be the guy who can’t figure out what is required on the boat for safety equipment because it is too tough to read the CFRs? Aw, Fuck it, I’ll do it. NOT. If you want to get promoted, time to step up to the plate and take a helping of responsibility and effort yourself.

It takes time, energy, persistence and EFFORT to make shit happen. I used to be very accommodating to the slow learner. Now I have learned to sort out the difference between a slow learner and a lazy POS. Unfortunately, this has somewhat jaded me towards doubting at first.

I was asked by a deckhand if I would recommend him to a License class sponsored by the company. I was stunned. This guy was one of the most lazy, slovenly, useless retards I have worked with (But His Uncle did get him the job) My reply was: " You should first try to become a good deckhand before you want to steer the boat." Needless to say, he was stunned. How could anyone say something like that? He only wanted to ‘get ahead.’ Just what any industry needs more lazy assed dipshits who just want to ‘sit in the big chair’ and can’t be bothered to actually excel at the whole job. You have to walk before you crawl. And when you learn to run you better not be in my way. You will feel my boot tracks on your back as I overtake you. AGAIN.

Every Captain has been a Mate. Every Mate has been a deckhand. Some deckhands have made it to A.B. Some deckhands have made it to tankernan. Most deckhands don’t EVER make it into the wheelhouse. Why? Personal initiative, Motivation, ability to accept (and manage) responsibility. Some have this ability, most don’t. Not bragging. But there seems to be a HUGE lack of understanding on this forum from newbies and guys wanting to get ahead. The truth needs to be told. If this Captain “thing” was easy EVERYBODY would be a Captain. It ain’t that easy, and it is reflected in the numbers of actual Captains. Note, just because someone HAS the license does NOT make them “captain” material.

I’m all for self-education and industriousness, but I still say that sometimes it makes more sense to hire a licensing expert.

If someone is going for a very straightforward upgrade and all his seatime is an exact fit within the well-worn upgrade path, then there is no need to hire a licensing expert.

However, if anything is the least bit unusual or off the beaten path, then I say that spending a measly $200 to have an insider that speaks the USCG’s language, knows the staff at NMC well, and understands how the USCG actually interprets and applies the CFRs and policy letters, and the internal guidance memorandums (that are not available to us) — is well worth the trivial cost.

Some guy that just read Bowditch and Chapmans maybe able to quote various sections verbatim, but he does not have the experience that we do. Similarly, we can read CFRs until we know them by heart, but we’ll never have the experience that the licensing experts do.

Sometimes we may not be technically required to take a pilot, but sometimes it falls within the ordinary prudence of seaman for us to do so.

And that happens very rarely. The problem is usually that the person in question is too lazy our stupid to figure out their own question.

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;77470]And that happens very rarely. The problem is usually that the person in question is too lazy our stupid to figure out their own question.[/QUOTE]

The good licensing guys provide a service just like the tax guy, lawyer or the lobbyist. They use their expertise and experience to make sure you get what you deserve and grease the skids with their contacts. IF I thought I may have an issue with an upgrade or renewal I’d use them just like I use any other expert. I am too busy working to become a CFR expert on a matter that only occurs every few years with constantly changing requirements. I would have no problem paying my fee and turning my stuff in to a facilitator to move things along. The NMC would probably rather deal with such an agent also since most agents have more experience than the average NMC employee.
Lots of people have been mislead and steered wrong by wheelhouse lawyers who tend to piss off the powers that be more than they provide good advice.

[QUOTE=tengineer;77486]The good licensing guys provide a service just like the tax guy, lawyer or the lobbyist. They use their expertise and experience to make sure you get what you deserve and grease the skids with their contacts. IF I thought I may have an issue with an upgrade or renewal I’d use them just like I use any other expert. I am too busy working to become a CFR expert on a matter that only occurs every few years with constantly changing requirements. I would have no problem paying my fee and turning my stuff in to a facilitator to move things along. The NMC would probably rather deal with such an agent also since most agents have more experience than the average NMC employee.
Lots of people have been mislead and steered wrong by wheelhouse lawyers who tend to piss off the powers that be more than they provide good advice.[/QUOTE]

Well said.

Cappy208 - I agree with everything you say except with the CFR’s. I had someone do my 1st two apps to the USCG. Why?, I was new to the industry and didn’t have a clue as to what to do. When she sent off my stuff for AB unlimited she got it because she knew how to use my USN time and what I did in the Navy to get my RFPNW approved without having to do the assessments plus I was working on a boat under 100T.

Does that mean I am a lazy POS because I didn’t understand or even know what the CFR’s were at the time but the expert did? Or was I motivated enough to advance and driven enough to pay someone to help me get on the right path because I simply didn’t understand and didn’t know where to turn?

I’d have to agree having a License doesn’t make you a Captain. Not having a License doesn’t mean you couldn’t be a good one either. I also believe a lot of folks can handle the Responsibility but not the Accountability.

I think tengineer posted it best.

The military sea time thing is a good example of when these guys are necessary.

But in general I agree that it is sad that the regulations are so convoluted that it is necessary to hire consultants. There are too many licenses abs too many paths to get the licenses, and too many types of sea time that aren’t creditable towards all licenses.

Amen ! ! ! ! !