Foreign Maritime Training

Poulsson claims that shipping companies are customers of the training establishments. But they are unique in wanting to be customers without contributing anything. I was lucky in being funded throughout my career by my employer for courses but now the student is the one that is paying.

The regulators are the customers, but mostly the students are the financial sheep to be fleeced by the schools.

Is there a study guide for UKLAP out there? Or how does one prep for it?

That depends on where you are in the world. or which company you work for.
It is definitively true for the US, but very much different in Scandinavia and most of NW Europe, where education is free and low cost loans and grants are available to cover living expenses while studying.

Several Shipowning/Ship Managment companies operate their own training centres and academies in major source countries like the Philippines, Ukraine and India to ensure recruitment of well qualified seafarers for their fleet in the future. Education is free, but they have to sign up for a period of service in return.

PS> A lot have changed since you and I went through that process, Hogsnort.
Thanks heaven for that.

Which is what MARAD should be doing to support the American mariner and merchant marine … that is if it were not a captive of the shipping company lobbyists who are focused on eliminating the American merchant marine and those who sail in it in any capacity other than KP cadet.

Because of military service I was later than my contemporaries in completing my qualifications I was fortunate enough to enjoy the privilege of study leave and a continuous salary. A Master 10 years older than me when I sailed as Mate was an indentured apprentice. Because his father died after being torpedoed in World War 2 a charity paid for his indenture to the shipping company. Not a bad deal, you or your parents pay the employer and he works you 7 days a week for 4 years.
Both he and many of my contemporaries then applied for the unemployment payment for the six months studying for their second mates foreign going ticket so they could have somewhere to sleep and something to eat.
Before I retired I was lucky enough to see some really excellent training facilities that are training today’s mariner including a couple of company run establishments in Singapore.

How did Indonesia get STCW-95 approval, very very poor training there and zero English

A Philippine Maritime training institute has acquired a training ship with capacity for 200 cadets: