For James Cavo

I have an engineering question. One I never heard of. I am a deck guy, so I am not sure.

I have an engineer I worked with in the past. He has a 1st Asst Engineer Unlimited. He has it endorsed for motor. He does not have steam, nor gas turbine.

He was interviewing for a job on an U/L vessel, and one of the office guys claims that his license is not a true unlimited license, therefore it is not an Unlimited license. They said it was because he did not have Steam, nor gas turbines.
But the position he is applying for, is with a regular motor power plant, no steam, nor gas turbine.

I understand he can not go on a Steam ship, nor gas turbine, but a regular diesel powered one?

Am I missing something or is this total B.S.?

[quote=CaptRob1;23999]"… one of the office guys claims that his license is not a true unlimited license, therefore it is not an Unlimited license. …
Am I missing something or is this total B.S.?[/quote]

The office guy is a dud with limitations of his own.

The office weenie probably thinks the limited/unlimited refers to types of propulsion plants, vice tonnage/horsepower, etc. SANDCRABS!!!

Is it still the old paper license or an MMC? If he still wants to work for them after that happened he can prove the validity the MMC on Homeport.uscg.mil. Here’s the link.

[quote=CaptRob1;23999]I have an engineering question. One I never heard of. I am a deck guy, so I am not sure.

I have an engineer I worked with in the past. He has a 1st Asst Engineer Unlimited. He has it endorsed for motor. He does not have steam, nor gas turbine.

He was interviewing for a job on an U/L vessel, and one of the office guys claims that his license is not a true unlimited license, therefore it is not an Unlimited license. They said it was because he did not have Steam, nor gas turbines.
But the position he is applying for, is with a regular motor power plant, no steam, nor gas turbine.

I understand he can not go on a Steam ship, nor gas turbine, but a regular diesel powered one?

Am I missing something or is this total B.S.?[/quote]

“Unlimited” refers to the horsepower the license is valid for just as an “unlimited” deck license refers to the tonnage. The license wording is “…of any horsepower” and “…of any gross tons.”

Engineers need to be have a license that corresponds to the horsepower and propulsion of the vessel. One can have an “unlimited” motor license withoput having a steam license, and there’s no requirement for an engineer on a motor vessel to also hold a license for any other propulsion mode.