Ferry Accidents and Incidents

Another ferry collision and sinking in Bangladesh:

This was one of the smaller river ferries so the casualty numbers are not likely to be high (by Bangladesh standard)

One person found alive inside the ferry 13 hrs. after she capsized and sunk:
https://www.bakersfield.com/ap/national/bangladeshi-man-trapped-inside-sunken-ferry-rescued-after-13-hours/article_5376e248-dccb-5c82-a1b2-a894e6f5195a.html

How many more such accidents before regulations will be implemented?:

Rhetorical question I know. The answer is probably; never in our lifetime.

Nearly 50 years ago I was working in Bangladesh when a river ferry sunk with the loss of +/- 150 people. (Many of them because soldiers patrolling the river banks shot at people that was swimming towards dry land)

Seeing a picture of the ferry in a local paper I made the remark; “there couldn’t possibly be that many people on that ferry”. The reply was; “there were maybe 350 pax on board”.

Nothing is new under the sun.

Another ferry collision in Bangladesh:

I assume, that most professional mariners are just disgusted with the amount of “ferry” accidents we read about the world over.

However, here is why nothing really can be done about it at the IMO international level. Let’s remember, IMO is a International “Policy” maker it is NOT a “enforcement” agency, this is left up to the agencies that enforce maritime law in the individual countries. If they have minimum laws on the books, and are in general, underfunded, then enforcement is weak. Additionally, most of these nations do not have aggressive maritime safety laws protecting mariners and passengers.

Second, Since most of these Ferry routes are NOT international, the IMO Policies have no jurisdiction. It is up to the countries to have state maritime laws that cover the safety of passengers and seaman, vessel construction, safety gear etc etc. What I mentioned above comes into play, no laws or lack of enforcement.

Therefore, unfortunately, I don’t see much of a change in the percentages of accidents such as these in the near future.

Agree, but sometime IMO rules can cause problems too.
A few years ago a car ferry in Norway run aground just beside the ferry wharf. No casualties but a bit of damages to the ferry and the pride of an experienced ferry skipper.

In the enquiry it came out that the ferry was of such large GT (<2000GT) that, even though in domestic service, a lot of SMS rules applied. Yet she had a small crew as per Norwegian rules. The crossing they served took 20 min. each way, w/10 min. stop at each end to roll on and off cars, buses and trucks and walk-on/off pax.
Video for illustration only:

In this case the Skipper was due for his time off (after his 1 week on board) and thus had to complete all the forms and reports required by SMS. He put the ferry on autopilot on the crossing, with an AB as lookout, while he was busy on the computer to get all the paperwork up to date for his relief.

As they approached the other side of the fjord the AB had to go down to be ready to control the ramp on arrival. Unfortunately the Skipper got “engrossed” in his computer activity before he looked up at the fast approaching mountainside and realized he had left it too long.

The moral of the story: Too much and too little rules and regulations can both cause accidents.

Fortunately, that is probably the only such incident in Norway and with the new “Auto-crossing” and “Auto-docking” system now being introduced, it shouldn’t be possible to happen again. (The Software wouldn’t allow it)

Of course, reducing unnecessary “paperwork” may have been quicker, cheaper and better. :rofl:

Costly repairs:

Maritime language is not for everyone:

WSF Ferry wharf:

The worst ferry accident ever happened 20 years ago:

Were enough lessons actually learnt, or could it happen again?
What about if a mega cruise ship capsize, or suffer sever fire while far away from shore?

A recent accident in Vancouver harbor - cargo ship and 18ft rental boat (supposedly the rental boat operators in Canada don’t need a boating license https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/3-boaters-rescued-from-vancouver-harbour-after-possible-collision-with-cargo-ship-rcmp-say-1.6617126