Female captains

Thanks all for the detailed responses. . ( my college age daughter doing her research paper thanks you as well!

Wishing you all joyous , safe adventures!

1 Like

149 hold the highest liscense (master unlimited) but many of those are now working shoreside.

2 Likes

I believe a classmate made that 150 a few months ago.

1 Like

Yes, I know of a few newly minted female unlimited masters. Hopefully the rate is increasing.

1 Like

Thank you fir the info. Man small Indian story and fascinating statistics

Darcilyn

Good job on sourcing those stats. I’ve worked with a few good female masters. There should be more, but I imagine most move on. I personally know 3 that are currently working as Master presently.

For extra credit, here is the (per person) Generation Z version.

Identity:
Female Woman Girl
Male Man Boy
Other Genders
Expression:
Masculine Feminine Other
Sex Assigned at Birth:
Female Male Other / Intersex
Physically Attracted to:
Women Men Other Gender(s)
Emotionally Attracted to:
Women Men Other Gender(s)

3 Likes

I am sure the USCG will update their forms to this format shortly.

FYI: Members of the USCG are no longer allowed to use genders words in employee/subordinate reviews. If I was still in I would use “it” profusely.

1 Like

I have some subjective data but there’s no way I’d share it on this forum.

Data: facts and statistics collected together for reference or analysis

Subjective: based on or influenced by personal feelings, tastes, or opinions.

There is no such thing as “subjective data.”

3 Likes

i find this subject entertaining. The OP wanted to know the number of US female masters. I can’t wait for someone to ask about the number of US black masters.

1 Like

Try googling it before you comment, Steamer

I do not even know what generation Z is but that’s hilarious.
For most of the first half of my life people were not divided into generations. You had elderly people, older people, middle age people, younger people, students and children but for the most part no one needed labels. The decade you were born in was of no significance. This entire generation labeling is silly. Even my oldest was confused and asked me several years ago. What generation am I? I said," A, first born so suck it up and move on."

Does this include Pilots, Because there are a few of those.

2 Likes

Navy fires captain of guided-missile cruiser USS Lake Erie (msn.com)

She is at least the eighth Navy officer relieved this year for “loss of confidence.” – Stars and Stripes

How many were women, and what’s the ratio of male to female commanding officers? Bearing in mind that n of 1 is statistically useless anyway.

1 Like

I’ve been sailing over 40 years now and am a hawsepipe 3/M. I have sailed with plenty of women in many different ratings. Most were good enough at their job. Some were useless. Same goes for the guys. Some were good shipmates and again, some were useless. I have sailed with two female Captains and two female Chief Mates. The one Captain was fantastic and I would sail to the ends of the earth for and with her. One of the CM’s was really good to work for as well. The other Cap/CM, (same person) I had the misfortune to sail with twice. She was both incompetent and arrogant, and fully convinced of her own superior capabilities. She couldn’t see that the Navy contractor company we worked for kept promoting her so it looked good on the BS diversity scale.

2 Likes

There are a few but some seem more interested in being social media influencers than their duties as a Master

2 Likes

I am a female master unlimited, hawspiper. I know a few other women who’ve earned that license. Also a couple of chief engineers. This week the Women on the Water conference will be at Texas A&M Galveston. That would be a great place for you to find out more

2 Likes