Fahrenheit vs Celsius for day to day use ...and Regulo

If you read the C and consciously think of your “feeling” of F, I think being able to look and know will not take very long. That’s why it’s so convenient that the given approximate intervals are either 15F or 20F (when of course the exact is 18F) per 10C.

It was an amazing response. Just shows that many of us are sitting at home with the lockdown. The gas cooker in our RV uses Regulo numbers for oven temperature settings and we have a temperature conversion chart taped inside a cupboard door.
I remember once flying to Chicago from London in January. It was 12C in London and the pilot announced that it was 12 degrees in Chicago.
It was before air bridges, and my first inkling that things were not as I expected, was the guy with the fur lined hood standing at the top of the stairs leading to the Tarmac.

:laughing: :laughing:

Sure wasn’t like that in Passadumkeag in the winter of '75-6. The everyday temp was -20F, with -30F not unusual. Whatever it was there. it was 15F warmer in Old Town and Orono.

In the 1970’s I was on a multi-year project that involved shuttling back and forth between Tampa and Minneapolis. I was always trying for a 100 deg (F) temperature change as a personal record. Closest I came was 96; 76 when we left Tampa and -20 when we arrived in Minneapolis. EAL 727, one of the roughest rides I ever had.

Cheers,

Earl

2 Likes

Having two different systems of temperature measurements are confusing enough.
When the forecaster mention “degrees” w/o specifying which system is used makes it even more confusing.
If you add “feels like” to the forecasted temperature it becomes totally confusing-
(Not everybody have the same “feeling” of hot or cold. Or dress the same)

Would it not be simpler if everybody used the same system and left their “feelings” out of it??

Actually the question I was asked was how cold does Maine get in the winter. But I didn’t want to answer that.

The story was I was chief mate and was taking a break in the lounge flipping through a magazine and having a cup of coffee. The third mate who had just joined that day came in and asked me where I was from. A little too forward for a freshly joined 3/M maybe. But I told him I was from Maine. His next question was how cold does it get there in the winter?

OK, so now I sense a trap, looking for a pissing contest? So rather than going for coldest ever I deflect with the 20F “typical winter day”. Sure enough he comes back with he lives in Russia. But he’s from California so he doesn’t know his winter temps in Fahrenheit ! Goofy.

He did turn out to be a real PIA. We had no end of problems with him.

1 Like

Next you’ll be trying to change the name of Ray Bradbury’s book to, "Celsius 232.778 ".

3 Likes

:laughing:

I went from Passadumkeag to North Berwick, and then I moved to Boston in the fall of '78. That winter I was flabbergasted at all the peeps running around more or less naked and complaining of the cold. It was May before I figured out that winter wasn’t coming (it was a very mild winter even for Boston).

When some visitors came from Manitoba I fell on their necks because we talked the same language more or less about what “cold” means.
“Does it get cold much?”
“A bit.”
“Does it get to forty below?”
“Pretty often.”
“My brothers!”

I always thought that the “feels like” temperature was a dumbed down way of referring to the wind chill factor.

It’s a combination of Wind Chill and I think Misery Index for warm weather. I suspect the name was chosen to discourage the widespread habit of quoting the wind chill temp as though it was an actual temperature.

Capt. Bugge, you’re beating a dead horse. The US is not going to change systems any time soon.

and left their “feelings” out of it??

Those “feelings” are a combination of wind chill for cold, and misery index (I think) for warm. It’s all precise and numerical, but it’s a lot shorter to say “feels like” instead of “this number is the effective temperature for naked flesh, based on wind speed, temperature, and humidity”.

1 Like

I use both, no issue
-40 same in both, yep thats cold

To convert C to F from 0 to 30 degrees which are typical temps doubling C and adding 30 is a good approximation. Above 30 C it starts to break down.

C F (C*2)+30
0 32 30
5 41 40
10 50 50
20 68 70
30 86 90
40 104 110
50 122 130
60 140 150

Doesn’t work so well below 0 C

C F (C*2)+30
-5 23 20
-7 19.4 16
-10 14 10
-20 -4 -10
-30 -22 -30
-40 -40 -50
-50 -58 -70

For higher temps just doubling C gets in the ballpark

C F C*2
100 212 200
200 392 400
300 572 600
400 752 800
500 932 1000
1000 1832 2000

In winter time, Mainers skip the numbers and keep it simple. If it’s above freezing, it’s “nice”, if there’s a risk of frostbite on exposed skin within a minute, it’s “wicked cold.”.

3 Likes

Depends on what your doing. City folks like warm weather unless they ski but on the farm winter is time to “cut wood”. Next winter’s firewood and pulpwood / lumber, at least back in the day when the price was better.

For working in the woods 20F is good because the ground stays frozen hard, otherwise the equipment will get mired in the mud. Also at 20F the snow won’t melt on boots and clothes so you stay dry.

When it warms up in spring it’s “mud season”. The surface melts but underneath still frozen so no place for the water to go. All the unpaved driveways turn to mud.

It’s 35 F (1.7C) here now and this is what my driveway looks like now.

2 Likes

My two military sons, who used to camp out in all weather as part of their training, tells me that -10C and below was preferred. Warmer than that caused condensation in the tent, on sleeping bag and on the cloths. Sweating was also a problem in “warm” weather.

Outdoor activities were terminated at -30C during training. (Not when deployed, or on major NATO exercises)

1 Like

Shared tastes in driveways. This is the one to my summer home away from home on an island near Lunenberg, Nova Scotia. It’s my escape from the summer heat and the tourists in the Outer Banks. While I enjoy the cool 65 degree temps, the locals find it uncomfortably warm.
On the minus side, unseen in this photo are the voracious hummingbird sized mosquitoes who inhabit the woods.

1 Like

what a pity , the whole metric thing. I am of the camp a 5x based system is superior. and remember, the polar diameter of the planet is the basis for measurement, there is a book on the european effort which was so far off from the start as to be meaningless.
and storing the standards at minus 80F or something? sheesh!!!

I would love to hear your argument for that.

and remember, the polar diameter of the planet is the basis for measurement,

Not any more. Now it’s a wavelength of light or some such.