Fahrenheit vs Celsius for day to day use ...and Regulo

Celsius has no advantages. I mean they try to come off all scientific-y but come on; water freezes at zero and boils at 100? First of all it doesn’t and second of all who cares?

We need a new system. Have to keep the 0 - 100 the comfort range, F has about the right increment without decimal but should base it on some fundamental property.

I propose a new systems abbreviated T (for temp) by tweaking the Rankine system. Currently zero F = 459.67 °R so the new system starts at absolute zero, but each new degree is now about .98 of a degree F so 0 F = 500 degrees in the new system (new Rankine).

Absolute Zero = 0 nR (new Rankine)
0 degrees F = 500 nR

For day to day use we don’t want a three digit number so drop the 500 with conversion T = nR - 500.

So 500 nR = 0 F = 0 T. One degree T will be a little smaller then F. (500/491.6)

The advantages are; better chance of being adapted than Regulo. Somewhat adheres to Jimrr’s crazy 5 based system. Plus all the advantages of Fahrenheit.

:heart_eyes:

2 Likes

It does, but only clean freshwater, when at sea level and 45 degr. latitude.

And standard atmospheric pressure of 29.92 inches of mercury/1013.25hPa

1 Like

Check your source. If it’s from before 1742 it might be out of date.

1 Like

Strictly speaking that applies to the boiling point of water (at standard atmospheric pressure)

Freezing point is somewhat more complicated to define:
Water is densest at 4C, so a large body of water need to reach that temperature first throughout, before the surface layer gets cold enough for ice to form.

PS> Cleanliness and salinity is also a major factor for when water freezes…

This is my source:

Dated, September 25, 2013

Latitude is probably a typo instead of altitude. Where did the 45 degrees come from?

If it’s altitude, it should be at an altitude of 0.

No typo, latitude also count here.

When it comes to engine room readings I’ve always preferred celcius, outside temperature I can’t get used to Celcius don’t know why.

When we introduced the metric system I was unable to visualise how tall someone was if their height was given in centimetres for a period. Even today a child’s birth weight is often still given in pounds and ounces so that granny is with the program. I still remember an engineer telling someone that centimetres is a measurement for bloody dressmakers and here we use millimetres or metres.

Perhaps there should be a measurement standard based on an individual’s height.

Just trying to use my newfangled digital oven/stove to cook my dinner. Please don’t confuse me with more instructions. Either from the recipe or the oven manufacturer.

About Anders Celsius

He was the first scientist to determine, by a careful series of experiments, that the freezing point of water is independent of latitude and altitude, and that the boiling point of water, while dependent on atmospheric pressure, is nevertheless exactly determinable when pressure is taken into account.

Evidently not everyone got the word - this is from a 1905 text:

Boiling_point_lat

I was referring to the difference caused by latitude, no matter how small.
The fact that the earth is somewhat pear shaped add to this difference. (Although that was not known at the time of Mr. Celsius).

yes, I grew up with both systems in OZ seems like we all use weight in kg but heights in feet and inches.

I was living in London when the change took place. I dug up this poster which was popular at the time but would be considered offensive now.

think-metric

3 Likes

…nor do we know it today!

When I saw your original post with a ‘spearheaded earth’, I wondered in which strange solar system you are living.
Your correction to a ‘pear shaped earth’ lets think about a still unknown planet in our solar system.

The earth is an oblate ellipsoid; the nearest fruit I know of would be a mandarin orange …

https://image.gsfc.nasa.gov/poetry/ask/a11818.html

I believe the earth is banana-shaped.

4 Likes