Factory trawler, at least 85 of 124 test positive for Covid-19

I recall that from the old days, Eastern European crew too, but a lot of things have changed. I recall American college kids too.

Today, I don’t imagine that they can get work visas for all these unnecessary foreign “fishermen.” Perhaps, they can bring in some Mexican or other Latin temporary processors under “agricultural visas”, but I recall the shore plants having problems with getting those visas in recent years.

Also, aren’t the borders closed due to C19 for the past few months?

I’m not current on what the factory trawlers companies can get away with these days.

RE: Shoreplant workers, looks like a lot of foreign workers just stayed on-island from last season. Here’s part of a story from May, from the Unalaska radio station:

In response to the coronavirus pandemic, Unalaska’s onshore processing plants have chosen to keep seasonal employees on-island in between fishing seasons.

In a rural Alaskan town of 4500 year-round residents, an influx of approximately one thousand international workers—looking for ways to keep busy—is quite a change.

In terms of the total number of work visas, looks like the government kept the number unaffected, not wanting to affect food production:
https://www.seafoodsource.com/news/supply-trade/homeland-security-keeps-h-2b-cap-at-66-000-leaving-seafood-processors-facing-uncertain-future?utm_source=marketo&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter&utm_content=newsletter&mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiWVRNMk16UXlNR1l6WldFMSIsInQiOiJsbk5hejQyN1lkcGIwa0plVFJicHdIbjUxVlVIdzFjK3ptMmIrZlwvbHVuY1FWSDJHeVgwV3J4Q1NEVXpxUHpFdlRoSjlSUEZuNjBiTVwvY3M0Y0U1UE1VWHprVHo0SW1GNWpYZU5cL0l0QTk0TGhweVlXdHhqUUxqQWVGUE5pdEdcL2UifQ%3D%3D

1 Like

The vessel arrived in Resurrection Bay in Seward around 11am today. Not sure if they have berthed to remove the crew yet.

1 Like

Trawler crew has become involuntary “guinea pigs” in Corona virus/Covid-19 experiment:
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/health/seattle-fishing-boat-outbreak-suggests-antibodies-protect-against-coronavirus-infection/

1 Like

The Norwegian Fishing Skipper on the America Dynasty Kjetil Sætre (63) that was on board at the time of the outbreak has finally reached home after 7 months. Much of the time in isolation in Seattle and than 10 days quarantine in Norway on arrival.

He left home 5. Febr. and only reached Norway 26.Aug. (but was “released” only 05.Sept.)

He’ll now take a break until after New Year, before returning to Seattle and another trip on American Dynasty.

From smp.no today (Behind Paywall)

1 Like