Eyesea - Ocean Cleanup Initiative

Hi ITOIL. Happy to share more if you’re interested. You can reach me on graeme@eyesea.org.

Thanks for the best wishes. Happy to share more if you are interested.

Exactly. Document and map, support clean ups…drive change. Happy to share more with anyone in this thread. graeme@eyesea.org

Are you the founder @Graeme? What made you do something like this? How can a mariner use the app?

Yes…founder and online response coordinator. The idea came from a few tangental pieces of work i was doing with maritime companies. It occured to me we were lacking verfiable observational data and that seafarers were the only ones with regular access to oceans. We’re testing the app right now on volunteer vessels. Mariners ans seafarers, in my opinion, are key to monitoring and protecting the oceans. I may be an idealist.

1 Like

Japan has an insane plastic fetish. Everything gets wrapped in plastic.

Sand Pebble from gCaptain Crew.
I noted your assumption that Eyesea might be an environmental shakedown and that seafarers know this stuff already - the latter is entirely the point of this project by the way, we’re trying to make this knowledge actionable. If you check who is involved you’ll see this is people from shipping trying to do their best for the oceans.
We’d love to engage gCaptain more on this as your readership is exactly the means by which we can make this all work.
Please let me know if you need more info or want to an interview with Graeme who I see has commented also.
By the way, I sent the original release from my personal email to John (I’m a former contributor - and for the record, I’m volunteering on Eyesea because I think it can make a difference).
Happy to discuss further by phone. Cheers and merry holidays all!

3 Likes

The best solution is to stop plastic from entering the ocean at all.
Of course to do so onshore would be preferred, but to stop it from entering though rivers and streams would also help:

I read a study that said a huge amount of the “plastic” comes from fishing gear. Makes sense to me as I’ve seen a lot of it around screws and on the beach. Never had to hire a diver to clean a plastic straw or cup off a ship’s screw.

No, but a lot of plastic bags and straws pollute on land, on beaches, in oceans and rivers. It is NOT cleared by divers either.

In Singapore there are collector booms in many of the drainage canals, rivers and streams to stop plastics and other debris from reaching the harbour and straits: Here Rochor Canal:
As well as collector boats operating both in Singapore River, Marina Reservoir and in the harbour:

2 Likes

Well of course. It is Singapore, they think a bit differently. It’s a plastic problem not a political problem.

I think Eyesea is doing what they say.

1 Like

I know people who are using it within their Fleet. If only more mariners would be willing to upload the app and use it, we all could be change leaders for maritime garbage and debris.

1 Like

It is indeed mostly commercial fishing gear. I saw a dead humpback a few years ago floating by, tangled in netting with the floats attached. Very sad. Kills a lot of animals, in fact.