Experienced Captains & Deckhands Needed

The world may never know.

Watch an episode of Swamp People then!

I’d rather drive white hot icepicks into my eyes!

WHY DO SANE PEOPLE WATCH THIS CRAP ANYWAY?

OH LORD! I totally missed this one earlier

[QUOTE=T2Cenac;111681]I decided to see if this site may be a way to communicate with any “Professional” Mariners that our current Captains and crews may not be familiar with. In the hopes that we may find more skilled crewmembers [B][I][U]to asses[/U][/I][/B] our growing company.[/QUOTE]

The mind simply boggles as towards the possible innuendo and hidden meanings behind that one?

paging Doctor Freud… Paging Herr Doctor Sigmund Freud…you’re needed in emergency psychoanalysis, [B][I][U]STAT![/U][/I][/B]

[QUOTE=c.captain;111575]WTF…21 and 7? A goddamned longhaul truckdriver gets more time off at home than that![/QUOTE]

Besides being from Bourg and offering a 21/7 schedule (at the request of his employees) you still haven’t found any verifiable cause for complaint against the OP or his company. Your accusations are baseless and in some cases clearly incorrect and don’t advance the purpose of the website.

[QUOTE=Phil Brady;111805]Besides being from Bourg and offering a 21/7 schedule (at the request of his employees) you still haven’t found any verifiable cause for complaint against the OP or his company. Your accusations are baseless and in some cases clearly incorrect and don’t advance the purpose of the website.[/QUOTE]

yeah…and?

Please pardon my earlier attempt at subtle humor.

Now directly to the meat and potatoes.

See the streaming banner on the top there. Sometimes it says: Gordon and Ellias. Sometimes it says: Young Firm. Sometimes it says Caterpillar.
They PAY for advertising…
The point is… I do not recall it saying Cenac. EVER. Excised sentence, you figure it out. You read about the companies on here who regularly get bashed. They deserve it. Quality costs money. Both for the company AND the employee.

I always was of the mindset that the GCaptain website was for the Sailor. Not the company.
You can search (I know, that little button in the upperleft that eludes SO many) for company pay and benefit info on here. NO company will share that info. This website is by (from our submissions) and for the mariner. Not everyone who reads is desperate for a job. Not everyone who reads is clueless. For those who are in need of a job, right now, “caveat emptor.” (Buyer Beware)

[QUOTE=cappy208;111820]See the streaming banner on the top there. Sometimes it says: Gordon and Ellias. Sometimes it says: Young Firm. Sometimes it says Caterpillar.
The point is… I do not recall it saying Cenac. EVER. Excised sentence, you figure it out. You read about the companies on here who regularly get bashed. They deserve it. Quality costs money. Both for the company AND the employee.

I always was of the mindset that the GCaptain website was for the Sailor. Not the company.
You can search (I know, that little button in the upperleft that eludes SO many) for company pay and benefit info on here. NO company will share that info. This website is by (from our submissions) and for the mariner. Not everyone who reads is desperate for a job. Not everyone who reads is clueless. For those who are in need of a job, right now, “caveat emptor.” (Buyer Beware)[/QUOTE]

Well said.

[QUOTE=cappy208;111820]Please pardon my earlier attempt at subtle humor. [/QUOTE]

I didn’t notice it, but regardless, consider it pardoned.

[QUOTE=cappy208;111820]

Now directly to the meat and potatoes.

See the streaming banner on the top there. Sometimes it says: Gordon and Ellias. Sometimes it says: Young Firm. Sometimes it says Caterpillar.
The point is… I do not recall it saying Cenac. EVER. Excised sentence, you figure it out. [/QUOTE]

As far as I know, you don’t have standing to complain about whether companies are taking advantage of the forums to advertise their company or their open positions. If the owners of this site want to remove posts, lest the poster be unjustly enriched with free advertising, they have that ability as the administrators/moderators of the site. If you feel that the post might violate the terms of service of the site, feel free to send the administrator’s an email.

[QUOTE=cappy208;111820]
You read about the companies on here who regularly get bashed. They deserve it. [/QUOTE]

There are very few companies mentioned on this site that don’t get bashed, and I don’t understand how they would deserve it. I think ECO and Hornbeck might be the only approved employers on this site.

[QUOTE=cappy208;111820] Quality costs money. Both for the company AND the employee. [/QUOTE]

There is a need for tugboats outside of the ATB market. Not every tug needs to cost as much as one. Not everyone can work on a Legacy class tug. Not every captain needs to be paid like they are working on a legacy class tug (although to hear some on this site, Crowley is offering barely above slave wages).

[QUOTE=cappy208;111820] I always was of the mindset that the GCaptain website was for the Sailor. Not the company. [/QUOTE]

The about section says that Gcaptain is dedicated to building a community of maritime professionals, which I presume means both the seaman and shorebased personnel in HR. Maybe you mistook this for another site that is fermenting revolt against capitalism?

[QUOTE=cappy208;111820]
You can search (I know, that little button in the upperleft that eludes SO many) for company pay and benefit info on here. NO company will share that info. This website is by (from our submissions) and for the mariner. Not everyone who reads is desperate for a job. Not everyone who reads is clueless. For those who are in need of a job, right now, “caveat emptor.” (Buyer Beware)[/QUOTE]

Noted.

[QUOTE=Phil Brady;111859]
There is a need for tugboats outside of the ATB market. Not every tug needs to cost as much as one. Not everyone can work on a Legacy class tug. Not every captain needs to be paid like they are working on a legacy class tug (although to hear some on this site, Crowley is offering barely above slave wages).

[/QUOTE]

But they do, Crowley Liner services out Jacksonville, slave wages or the equiv that is, Just look at the numbers. However…for as long as Crowley Liner and SIU can man the tugs, why change. Until the day a tug can not make its run because the boat is not manned, then Crowley will continue to pay the scale they do. For all the pissing and moaning about some of the union wages (mostly SIU and 333) if the wages are that bad, just do not work there. If the companies want you to work double or even triple hitches because they can not get mariners, then just dont. Nothing will change until they (the company) can not man the boat.

Ocean31

[QUOTE=Ocean31;111906]But they do, Crowley Liner services out Jacksonville, slave wages or the equiv that is, Just look at the numbers. However…for as long as Crowley Liner and SIU can man the tugs, why change. Until the day a tug can not make its run because the boat is not manned, then Crowley will continue to pay the scale they do. For all the pissing and moaning about some of the union wages (mostly SIU and 333) if the wages are that bad, just do not work there. If the companies want you to work double or even triple hitches because they can not get mariners, then just dont. Nothing will change until they (the company) can not man the boat.[/QUOTE]

Amen brother…A-FUCKING-MEN!

There’s always someone…

Had a friend think about going to Crowley liner a while back, a guy who has some towing experience but not year-S and thought it might be a decent job until he heard all the nonsense. They even flew him down to FL and took him out to lunch, except that harbor deckhands in the northeast are making what mates make there. Plus they were going to make him go to some SIU nonsense classes and evaluations befor even hiring him. They had some bonus/longevity nonsense, but i really don’t see how someone can work for that crap doing outside work with equipment that size.

For full disclosure, Phil Brady are you an vessel owner or manager? Your profile does not say.

I hate to see any employer discouraged from posting jobs on gcaptain.

Obviously, someone needs the jobs or the company would not still be in business. Few companies pay more than the minimum wage necessary to hire enough minimally competent crew.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;111933]Obviously, someone needs the jobs or the company would not still be in business. Few companies pay more than the minimum wage necessary to hire enough minimally competent crew.[/QUOTE]

But that’s the whole point of this. From post #1 it smacked of a lowend operator offering just that and nothing more. The tip off was the 21/7. If he hadn’t added that, there was little to use to fire back but no company should expect any of their men to work that kind of schedule and I don’t believe for one minute that is driven by the other captains! Sorry but I call BS on that and the whole load about expecting them to act professionally! Nobody needs to say that unless they usually attract the dregs of the business. A good company will not even need to advertise like that in the first place so his post was in itself a big giveaway!

A high end operator would say they offer “top tier pay”, “excellent benefits better than peer companies”, “guaranteed time at home with family” Of course, that is often BS tossed out by companies fishing for talent but the good ones mean it and will get the best people as a result.

I feel the mom and pop companies should not be given a pass when it comes to treating people well just because they are small. Many of those little companies are making big $$$ on the backs of the labor and if they aren’t, then let capitalism reign and for them to leave the industry. I worked for far too many gyppos over the years to not smell stinky garbage when it is dumped at my feet!

Well, if the captains were only getting $250 then of course they would want 21/7.

I’m calling BS on you sir! 21/7 does not mean jack shit about what kind of company they are. I think you followed toto to lala land, a lot of good companies work 2&1, off this alone how can you even say their pay is terrible?Pplease hold your reservations before making wild assumptions. The people who work at this outfit are unknown to me & YOU but I would not cast a stone at a fellow mariner and call his company shit without knowing the facts first hand. Just my 2 cents.

Let me also add that being this forum is mariner driven, it will often smack of just what Joe Boss does not want to read but I feel that in the end, it serves us to speak openly so that the companies can know a bit more about what their people think about the state of labor in the industry. I know there are companies who do read these threads often if not daily and I well imagine that I have a price on my head for speaking as I do but I will be damned if I’ll forebear now that we have such a forum to allow our voices to finally be heard in the world!

I consider this forum a gamechanger in many ways as far as being a US mariner is concerned because it allows us to learn so much more about all the different parts of it that we never had before. An informed mariner population is an empowered mariner population!

But you still know absolutely nothing of this company yet write as if you do that’s the problem.