Epirb battery replacement

I have a NAT GPIRB II that is coming up for battery replacement. Turns out these batteries are treated like kryptonite. Even in the States its a hefty price for the dangerous cargo handling. I’m in Italy. The research I’ve done so far gives me the closest place is called “Deck Marine” in Milan, Italy. I’d prefer not having to ship it so far. Does anyone have a good source here in the Naples area for getting this done?

Steve

Pick and Shovel,

If it were me, I would weigh the price of a new battery versus the cost of a new EPIRB. Would it be cost effective to actually replace the battery?

Brian

Nothing to do with nothing…
Had a Captain of a small frieghter tell me the other day that the mate was checking an EPIRD out while underway between south america and Miami. he decided that it wasn’t working properly and chunked it overboard somewhere along the way. By the time he got to port he had stirred up quite a hornets nest.

Oh, I thought about just buying a new one. And its probably what the EPIRB makers would like. I’m stuborn though. I believe the other EPIRB story too. It scares me sometimes when I think of some of the noodles out here we trust to even touch an object like this. I had an A/B a few months back who was curious about the lever on our Billy Pugh lifering launcher. He’s not curious anymore.

Reminds me of the story of the new, eager to please OS who took the quadrantal spheres off the binnacle to re-paint them, as the cute red and green paint on the balls had faded and chipped over the years.

[quote=Capt Brian;15714]Pick and Shovel,

If it were me, I would weigh the price of a new battery versus the cost of a new EPIRB. Would it be cost effective to actually replace the battery?

Brian[/quote]

Unless the new EPIRB is nearby (no shipping, just a cab ride with the EPIRB in your lap), you’ll gain nothing.

The whole EPIRB Battery Hoedown is because it’s (usually) a Mercury battery. Travels as HAZMAT.

The NEW EPIRB would also have a Mercury Battery in it.

And, might also require a new Registration (count on it) and mounting a new Release Bracket.

Ergo, unless the New EPIRB was closer than the New Battery, you have wasted a lot of energy.

Been there, Done that.

Hizzoner da Sparks