Engineers need your help

Hey guys, I have a engineer friend that needs your help…

She is an academy grad with a 3rd assistant lic…She is needing to add DDE-4000 endorsement…

I managed to find a passage in the MSM that states that:

Chapter 12 page 5 MSM III

An academy grad who can demonstrate industry specific training that has been provided prior to graduation an endorsement for DDE-4000 may be applied for and added to a 3rd assistant license without further testing…

Has anyone had any experience with this…? What exactly is industry specific?

She has applied to the NMC for the endorsement and was approved upon further testing, which is in direct contradiction with what the MSM states…

A DDE can serve as C/E on certain vessels, a 3A/E is only an assistant.

“Prior to graduation” means exactly what it says.
“Industry specific” means motor, not steam, propulsion.

If she’s been approved to test it means she has enough seatime.
The DDE exam should be a piece of cake for an academy grad.
She should apply for DDE Unlmtd if at all possible, test is the same.

[QUOTE=seadog!;44853]She should apply for DDE Unlmtd if at all possible, test is the same.[/QUOTE]
Seatime has to be on vessels over 4000 hp. You’re right, same test. She’ll be money ahead getting any and all licenses, endorsements, credentials…or what ever the hell they’re called now, as soon as seatime is compiled. Even if it is limited HP.

Thanks guys,
The way I see this, is that she has industry specific training, in this case on the Golden Bear before graduation…The MSM speaks on a path for this endorsement without further testing …I think that she should appeal, on this premise…I’m sure the testing wouldn’t be an issue but like everything else, time is short …

[QUOTE=Shellback;44866]Thanks guys,
The way I see this, is that she has industry specific training, in this case on the Golden Bear before graduation…The MSM speaks on a path for this endorsement without further testing …I think that she should appeal, on this premise…I’m sure the testing wouldn’t be an issue but like everything else, time is short …[/QUOTE]

The industry specific training would be onboard a vessel that requires an endorsement of “DDE-4000” to sail as engineer. If your friend’s Cadet time was not spent on one of these vessels (I do not know specifics of the Golden Bear but my guess is it requires an unlimited HP license) then the waiving of examination will not be considered.

[QUOTE=20 Yr CEng;44867]The industry specific training would be onboard a vessel that requires an endorsement of “DDE-4000” to sail as engineer. If your friend’s Cadet time was not spent on one of these vessels (I do not know specifics of the Golden Bear but my guess is it requires an unlimited HP license) then the waiving of examination will not be considered.[/QUOTE]

Ahhh, now this makes sense…Thank you so much…