Engineer Wanted

[B][I]R/V Pelican[/I] Engineer[/B]

The [SIZE=2]Louisiana Universities MarineConsortium (LUMCON), a marine science and education center has a positionavailable for an Engineeraboard the 116 ft. Oceanographic Research Vessel [I]PELICAN[/I].The R/V [I]PELICAN[/I]is a National Science Foundation supported research vessel operating out of theDefelice Marine Center in Cocodrie, LA. All candidates must have validUSCG license. This position is full time with benefits. Email resume andrequest more information to [/SIZE]jmalbrough@lumcon.eduor call 985-851-2808.
[B]DESCRIPTION: [/B]Under the general direction of the ship’s Captain, assumes charge of the engineering plant of the [I]R/V Pelican[/I] and is responsiblefor the effective, safe operation of all ship’s engineering equipment, thevessel’s propulsion system and all auxiliary machinery and spaces. The Engineeris responsible for the proper operation, maintenance, and inspection of themain and auxiliary machinery, and electrical, mechanical and safety equipmentof the vessel. Assigns and supervises the work of engine department personnel.Under emergency situations as defined by the ship’s Captain, performs jobs asdeemed necessary. As a senior manager, represents the institution’s bestinterest.

[B]QUALIFICATIONS: [/B]
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited maritime academy and two years sea duty asan engineering officer; in the absence of a formal degree, equivalent workexperience.

Demonstrated experience in the proper operation and maintenance of dieselengines for propulsion and auxiliary power and related shipboard equipment andsystems.

Demonstrated experience in the proper operation and maintenance of ancillaryengine room equipment and systems such as water makers, sewage treatment plant,fuel/oil transfer systems, ballast system, HVAC, electrical systems, etc.

Knowledge and ability to troubleshoot and diagnose existing and developingproblems with machinery and systems and take positive action to restoreequipment to normal operating condition. Ability to detect and recognizesymptoms of impending malfunction or failure and take positive action.

Knowledge of and familiarity with federal regulations relevant to maritimeoperations (33 CFR, 46 CFR, COLREGS) and international regulations (SOLASConvention and all relevant Annexes: MARPOL, ISM Code, ISPS Code, etc.).

Proven supervisory skills with ability to train, mentor, evaluate subordinatestaff; experience developing and implementing corrective action plans andimposing disciplinary action when required.

Knowledge of basic good seamanship practices (knots, line-handling, generalshipboard maintenance and care, preparation/preservation of steel surfaces,operation of deck equipment, winches, etc.).

Proven basic math skills to calculate and project fuel oil steaming rates andlube oil consumption and to perform/supervise engineering procurementprocedures.

Management experience with proven ability to organize and prioritize work,executing for best effect.

Knowledgeable of proper procedures for the Fire, Emergency and Abandon Shipdrills.

Computer proficiency in the use of word-processing and spreadsheet software,stability, inventory and database management systems programs, and electronicmail.

Demonstrated effective interpersonal and communications skill to providedirection for ship’s work force, both orally and in writing; requires goodcommand of the English language. Skill to establish and maintain good workrapport and courteous professional relationships with a diverse group ofpeople.

[B]***The position requires extended periods of time at sea.[/B]

[B]SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:[/B]

• License - U.S. Coast Guard Engineer, QMED
  • Certificate - U.S. Coast Guard Standards of Training, Certification andWatchkeeping for Seafarers (STCW95)
  • Document - U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariners Document
  • Document –Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) issued byTransportation Security Administration (TSA) required after 9/25/08
  • Candidate/incumbent must comply with USCG (DOT) Regulations for Chemical Drugand Alcohol testing including pre-employment drug screening, post- employment,post-hire random and post-incident drug testing
  • Candidate/incumbent’s sea-going status is contingent upon passing Companyphysical when required.

Addressyour cover letter and resume to:
JoeMalbrough – Marine Superintendent
8124Hwy 56, Chauvin, La. 70344 or submityour cover letter and resume by e-mail to jmalbrough@lumcon.edu, or by fax to(985-851-2863).
Competitivecompensation and benefits package available.