SUNY Maritime College, located on the Throggs Neck peninsula in the Bronx a short distance from midtown Manhattan and Westchester, seeks bright and enthusiastic individuals to help support the mission of our college. We currently have an opening for a Chief Engineer of the Training Ship.
Description of Duties: During the two month summer training cruise, the Chief Engineer is responsible to the Ship’s Master for the operation and maintenance of the engine department and for all machinery and auxiliary equipment related to the training ship, including but not limited to: electrical, HVAC, refrigeration, water and sewage systems. The Chief Engineer is responsible for the safe operation of the engine department and supervision of all engine department personnel and cadets working onboard EMPIRE STATE, both during the training cruises and while alongside the college pier. The Chief Engineer is responsible, together with the ship’s master, to develop a Maintenance and Repair plan, which will ensure that all statutory and regulatory inspections, maintenance and surveys are scheduled and completed as required. The Chief Engineer will also coordinate all engineering training onboard with the Engineering license department and the Chair, Engineering Department specifically, and may also teach engineering courses during the academic year and on the training cruise as required.
Typical tasks for which the Chief Engineer will be responsible includes, but are not limited to:
· Monitoring all engine, machinery, and equipment indicators when vessel is underway; log operation of same and report abnormalities to appropriate shipboard staff. Compile and complete annual Cruise Report, and all required logs and reports as appropriate.
· Maintaining all machinery and auxiliary systems including: electrical, HVAC, diesel, refrigeration, water, and sewage systems.
· Maintaining the ship’s spare parts system (PC-SAL) in support of the Maintenance and Repair Plan.
· Attending the ship during all dry dock and survey periods. Prepare ship for same.
· Coordinating all training activities onboard with both the Engine training department, and with the regiment of cadets, both shore side and during the training cruise.
· Maintaining complete records of engineering department activities, including machine operations.
· Maintaining and repairing engine machinery, electric motors, pumps, winches and other mechanical and electrical equipment, and assist other crew members and cadets with maintenance and repair duties.
· Performing general marine vessel maintenance and repair
Qualifications: Candidate must have a Bachelors Degree (Masters preferred), a U.S. Coast Guard unlimited Chief Engineer license with STCW endorsement and at least 10 years of maritime experience, including at least 3 years as Chief Engineer. Must have excellent oral and written communication skills, the ability to work in a student-oriented training environment and prior teaching experiences are all preferred.
Application procedure: Please submit a cover letter, resume, 3 references & salary requirements to hr[at]sunymaritime.edu, or via mail to Human Resource Services, 6 Pennyfield Avenue, Throggs Neck, NY 10465, with subject heading “Chief Engineer”.