Electric chart programs?

I am looking to buy an electronic chart program for my 64 bitt windows7 laptop. I will be using it in Brazil. Any suggestions?
Thanks, captwheels

Don’t go crazy with features. Look at what you want, what you need and what you want to spend. I was happy with the CAP’N with the Vector chart add-on.

Make sure you have a way to interface with the pilot plug onboard or buy yourself a simple USB dgps unit.

There are some really cool programs out there but I use mine mostly so I can see where I am going with corrected Vector and Raster charts, see where I’ve been, and have a record of it for future reference. I also added an AIS receiver so the other vessels are plotted on the screen to. Very handy if u go to court.

PM if u want to get more in-depth. Good luck in Brazil.

I don’t have too much experiance in this topic but Coastal Explorer by Rose Point Navigation is the most solid program I have found.

The best place for reviews of this sort of thing is Panbo. Here’s their latest on Coastal Explorer:

What I am looking for is a small rugged monitor or tablet PC that’s under $500 to run software on a boat… but that’s another story.

Nobeltec. Runs on a PC, interface with AIS or DGPS easily. point and click, drag and drop for waypoints and routes. good luck.

[B][I][U]IMHO[/U][/I][/B] : this software is worth considering!!

http://www.fugawi.com/web/products/fugawi_global_navigator.htm

BTW, HI Tim…hows Trinidad?

Of course you know I like Nobeltec by Jeppeson Aeronautical. But last I heard, it won’t run on 64 bit… I understand that if you install win 7 32 bit instead it will work well. 64 bit is going to take advantage of a little more memory thats all. Adobe Flashplayer won’t work with 64 bit either. Sounds to ME that 64 bit dont have enough benefits to out weight the bad.

If your not going with Kongsberg or Transas. I would use Nobeltec… My 2 cents.

[QUOTE=Cgaptain;44085]Nobeltec. Runs on a PC, interface with AIS or DGPS easily. point and click, drag and drop for waypoints and routes. good luck.[/QUOTE]

I have used them all. I have The Capn on a laptop with a USB GPS that I take with me everywhere I go but, Nobletech is the best.

I currently use Nobeltec with a Windows 64 operating system, just had to upgrade the video card. (The computer was 5 years old.) Nobeltec is pretty user friendly, comparing it to, say a Furuno chartplotter.

One consideration to keep in mind are charts and updating them. My understanding is that Nobeltec has gone to chart updates only through them, i.e. purchased. You can download updated charts from the NOAA website but you can’t install them. Nobeltec uses Transas charts which are some of the best and well maintained out there.

I currently use Rosepoint’s Coastal Explorer and have no complaints. It could stand a few more features and ease of use, but not bad.

Worked with Fugawi once, also not a bad program but seemed a bit cumbersome.

Side note: Nobeltec and Adobe Flashplayer work fine on Windows 7 64-Bit systems.

I liked the Nobeltec program. It was very user friendly. When we were using Nobeltec, we got a larger monitor and solved the 50+ eyestrain issue.
Right now getting tuned in with the Furuno system. A 2117 ARPA and MaxSea7 software. Not happy with the tidal current data in the MaxSea Explorer suite. About as inaccurate as you can get and basically useless, Furuno’s acquisition of MaxSea promises upgrades with a new “from the ground up” MaxSea suite called Time Zero but I’ll wait and see.
Furuno has no immediate solutions for the tidal/current data issue in the present version of MaxSea7. Raster chart updates from NOAA are no problem, but the downloadable NOAA ENC vector charts aren’t compatible with the software, you have to buy their vector charts, and they don’t update them in less than 6 month intervals. It’s a shame, it could be a [I]great[/I] system.

Don’t purchase any system that you can not correct the charts electronically over the the internet. The easiest system I have used to date for correcting the charts in your electronic chart portfolio is NOBELTEC. This ability to correct your charts on demand (internet connectvity available) does cost extra…But should you be subjected to a port state inspection and then asked to produce your chart correction log for your electronic charts you will be able to do so. Smooth sailing.

It depends on what type vessel you are on. Any of these PC based, laptop nav systems are NOT ‘type approved.’ The ability to correct charts is one thing, but having to buy new charts every six months or so is bogus. Most of them let you correct the Raster charts over the 'net. But almost all make you buy new disks to get corrected Vector charts. I don’t know of any ‘vettors’ who are knowledgeable enough to actually figure this out either.

But until these become mandatory on towing vessels, and until Uncle Sams Confused Group either gets bought off by the electronics industry, or succumbs to marine industry pressure to decide, we are in limbo.