Edison Chouest Questions

Just got a job offer at ECO, Wanted to find out what it is like working there. Have heard good and bad things such it is like being in the military, Any comments from anyone working there would be appreciated. Supposed to work on one of the Seacor boats.
Thanks

[QUOTE=DSV Captain;62929]…and bad things such it is like being in the military…[/QUOTE]

They don’t call it the “Coonass Navy” for nothing. I have heard it’s a crap shoot as to how life is aboard each vessel. Be interesting to hear some threads on this one! Good luck!

The folks that I know that work in the Seacor division really like it. Going to sea, or working in any job that involves a defined chain of command could be considered “militaristic”. The job will be whatever you make of it.

I can say I have been here over 15 years now and I have zero complaints. I worked the anchor boats mostly but in the beginning i jumped several boats doing different things and i never had a problem. Now like any company there is company policy and rules and regulations to follow if you are professional mariner and do a good job there should be no problem. I now work in the training center as an Instructor.

Did you work for MONTCO ?

If you go, keep that resume handy. Unless you are from the bayou. Then you will have no complaints.

I have been with ECO for 12 years, I am happy here. ECO has been very good to me. I have worked the supply boats for a little while, but most of my time has been on the Tractor Tugs (Voith Schneider & Z-drives). Every company has its good & bad points, it is all what you make of it. With so many boats & divisions you can go anywhere. As far as the Seacor Anchor boats there equipped with Z-drives connected to 3608 caterpillars.

As far as the negative comments…well you can’t please everyone.

Good Luck DSV Captain.

I have been with ECO for 3 years and they have been very happy here. Every job has its good points and bad points. I started out with a 100 ton license, and a load of sea time from my former life, and last month I added my 6000 to a 1600 ton Oceans. So all I can say is with the right attitude YOU GET OUT WHAT YOU PUT IN.

[QUOTE=Pyrut;62990]If you go, keep that resume handy. Unless you are from the bayou. Then you will have no complaints.[/QUOTE]

I moved up the ranks from Deck Hand all the way to Unlimited Master at Chouest. I was not from the Bayou. That is a false claim. Hard work pays off - period. That is the name of the WORK game. I worked hard and got to where I am simply by doing my job ( nothing else) and I just thank Chouest for facilitating my career that allowed me to do what I did, and became Master of the company flagship, SSCV Island Enforcer, after 15 years of service. Gary Chouest did not come to me offering a job, I asked for one, as most employees do. Chouest is a top rate company with very high standards and if you are not part of that standard, you will have issues. I have been gone for 6 months ( a month before the raise, and may have been part of the reason), now…continuing my career on a new build drill ship. With me, it was the next logical step after 20 years of working a majority on the water. I still like Chouest, but realized that I can be at home more and get a raise with a drilling company, better benefits, etc… Nothing wrong with Chouest, but the business model of boat companies are in stark contrast of what corporate drilling companies offer at the present time, and my Master ticket, backed with experience is worth $1000-$1500 / day minimum in the drilling sector. That just ain’t going to happen at a boat…doing $200,000/year + for 182days away from home.

Anyone can do exactly what I did by doing their job, period.

[QUOTE=anchorman;63067]

Anyone can do exactly what I did by doing their job, period.[/QUOTE]

Even me Anchorman?

I was just curious where they have their tractor assist tugs at I know they keep some in San Diego don’t they?

[QUOTE=anchorman;63067]I moved up the ranks from Deck Hand all the way to Unlimited Master at Chouest. I was not from the Bayou. That is a false claim. Hard work pays off - period. That is the name of the WORK game. I worked hard and got to where I am simply by doing my job ( nothing else) and I just thank Chouest for facilitating my career that allowed me to do what I did, and became Master of the company flagship, SSCV Island Enforcer, after 15 years of service. Gary Chouest did not come to me offering a job, I asked for one, as most employees do. Chouest is a top rate company with very high standards and if you are not part of that standard, you will have issues. I have been gone for 6 months ( a month before the raise, and may have been part of the reason), now…continuing my career on a new build drill ship. With me, it was the next logical step after 20 years of working a majority on the water. I still like Chouest, but realized that I can be at home more and get a raise with a drilling company, better benefits, etc… Nothing wrong with Chouest, but the business model of boat companies are in stark contrast of what corporate drilling companies offer at the present time, and my Master ticket, backed with experience is worth $1000-$1500 / day minimum in the drilling sector. That just ain’t going to happen at a boat…doing $200,000/year + for 182days away from home.

Anyone can do exactly what I did by doing their job, period.[/QUOTE]

AMEN to that !!!

[QUOTE=rshrew;63084]I was just curious where they have their tractor assist tugs at I know they keep some in San Diego don’t they?[/QUOTE]
Ive seen them in Mayport, FL working for the Navy.

The Island Enforcer huh… yea that boat came by a couple days ago and sucked everyone off the pilings! Haha I’m kidding. Well kinda, you could hear the lines of every boat come tight when she passed by, not because she was speeding, she’s just that big. What a very good looking boat.

What the chance of a bayou boy that only ever shrimped for a living getting a job with Edison chouest just got my 100 ton master 200 ton mate with my radar endorsement this year and what passion should I apply for are should I go get my ab and work my way up from ab

I guess it depends on what you want to do. If you get on a crew boat then I bet things will be fine, if you want an OSV then maybe an AB spot would be best. But I could be way off…

[QUOTE=rshrew;63084]I was just curious where they have their tractor assist tugs at I know they keep some in San Diego don’t they?[/QUOTE]

The navy (Z-drive) tractor tugs are in the following:
San Diego, Ca.
Mayport, Fl.
Kingsbay, Ga.

The LNG (Z-Drive) tractor Tugs are in Sabine, Tx.

The (Voith Schnieder) tractor tugs Loop Responder & Forte both are out of Fourchon, La.

I worked at Chouest circa 1995, when the Carolyn Chouest was brand new. I originally wanted the Icebreaker, but Mark Gisclaire talked me into the Carolyn because she was headed to the Med for 4 months. I was an AB unlimited at the time. They worked us pretty hard but the ship was beautiful, chow was excellent and the scenery was great.

They did some quirky things, but looking back it was not a bad maritime job. If you stay away from the boats with maniac captains, cough Capt Vic and you like being able to work as long as you like on your hitch, it’s wasn’t a bad gig.

Times have changed since then, so I imagine working conditions have as well.

If you get on a crew boat then I bet things will be fine

Thanks you!