ECS/ECDIS Requirements Post-Paper Charts

2 Likes
2 Likes

Iā€™m just a WAFI (Wind Assisted Friendly Idiot). :slight_smile:

Seems charts printed on paper but using ENC data are not yet approved as meeting carriage requirements. But evidently thatā€™s the plan.

NOAA is currently working to develop standard formatting rules under which Print on Demand Charts derived from ENC data will meet safety of navigation requirements. Until such time as ENC Paper Chart Policy has been more fully developed, POD charts derived from ENC data are not approved for primary means of navigation and should be considered a situational awareness tool.

From here: https://media.defense.gov/2021/Nov/16/2002893642/-1/-1/0/CCN_3530_2021_10_11.PDF

Two different agencies involved, NOAA makes the charts but the USCG has to approve them as meeting carriage requirements.

2 Likes

Rosepoint also has a SOLAS approved ECS version. A bit more expensive but who knows they might have a special upgrade deal when coming from Coastal Explorer. The good news is you wonā€™t have to learn a new package.

Iā€™m not sure what that even means.

Why am I not surprised.

7 According to SOLAS regulation V/18, ECDIS units on board ships must be
type-approved. Type approval is the certification process that ECDIS equipment must
undergo before it can be considered as complying with IMO performance standards. The
process is carried out by flag Administration-accredited type-approval organizations or marine
classification societies in accordance with the relevant test standards developed by, inter alia,
the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) (e.g. IEC 61174).

as per, MSC.1/Circ.1503/Rev.1 16 June 2017
ECDIS ā€“ GUIDANCE FOR GOOD PRACTICE

However, while RosePoint is a very good navigation program, it is only software. So far, I have not heard of a RosePoint ā€œdeviceā€ commercially available that meets the IMO performance standards for ECDIS.

1 Like

According to the Rose Point site:

ā€œWith a primary and a backup Hatteland Series X G2 System running Rose Point ECS, you can meet the requirements of the Coast Guard NVIC 01-16 for paperless charting transitsā€

I think the point being made is that there arenā€™t any ā€œSOLAS Apporovedā€ ECSs that meet ECDIS standards. If its an ECDIS its an ECDIS!

It seems like people are talking past each other, either because they work inland, work US flag on foreign voyages, or work in the world fleet. Whatā€™s legal for you, or required for you, isnā€™t neccesarily the case for everyone. Plus there are still a lot of outdated documents, marketing material, and statements on websites.

2 Likes

Reading comprehension isnā€™t your strong suit is it?

1 Like

Every ECDIS is ECS, but not every ECS is ECDIS.

But I have already stated that I am referring only to the international regulations in force throughout the civilized world.

Are you suggesting that I referred to the outdated IMO regulations.

We are using ISO 19379:2003 here.

ECS are Electronic Chart Systems that electronically display the real-time vessel position and relevant nautical chart data and information from the ECS Database on a display screen, but do not meet all of the IMO requirements for ECDIS and are not intended to satisfy the SOLAS Chapter V requirement to carry a navigational chart.

2 Likes

Iā€™m suggesting some people are putting too much stock in their own limited experience, some people may be relying on out of data info that is still available online, and some people are being obnoxious for sport. Maybe if I get bored some rainy day Iā€™ll sort out whoā€™s who in my mind.

1 Like