Chart Carriage Requirements

With the phasing out of paper charts. All of my charts being listed last edition or canceled in the Local Notice to Mariners. What meets the charting requirements for a 100 Ton Vessel operating near coastal?

I have already read this information and understand technically it states the answer. I should have maybe asked the question in a different manner. I am wondering what options out there meet the standards set.

What systems meets the IEC 60936-3?
What systems meet RTCM class a 10900.7 standard
What options for hardware and software are available that meet the standards to be compliant?

Rose point makes a system that meets those requirements if you need to go outside the “territorial sea baseline”.

1 Like

That NVIC gives guidance for electronic charts that are used in lieu of paper charts. Do print on demand paper charts not meet carriage requirements?

From the NVIC:

It announces what the Coast Guard considers equivalent to chart and publication carriage and certain navigation functions required by titles 33 and 46 of the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) as well as publication requirements in the International Convention for Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS) Chapter V, Regulation 27.

If the electronics are the equivalent to paper charts it implies the paper charts also meet carriage requirements.

I should add that in my experience ENCs are big improvement over paper charts, depends on the situation presumably.

The new custom noaa charts would meet carriage requirements but I believe correcting them would be difficult at this point. I have ocean charting service on my boat and they don’t have a good answer for using paper charts right now.

3 Likes

Paper charts are still acceptable for now. They will become problematic when the the NGA stops publishing chart corrections. BA had planned to totally withdraw paper charts next year, but has pushed it back after strong pushback from users.

The other thing to remember, is that ARCS charts are not acceptable as the primary mean of navigation. If you go paperless, whether inland or offshore, you can only use ENC’s.

The good news, as most of you know, is that all U.S. ENC’s and updates are available free of charge online.

No agency’s print on demand charts will meet carriage requirements in the near future.

Is that true or false?

This was discussed here:

NOAA has announced that they will be changing the format of NOM corrections so that these charts can be corrected

I’m not saying anyone should stick tp using paper charts, just saying AFAIK it’s still an option in some cases.

True, at least no American agency that I know of will. The ENC based printable charts will not be OK for use on commercial vessels. You may be able to use certain Canadian or BA charts, but I doubt it, as they are usually based on NOAA generated information.

From the NOAA website: “A new ENC-based option for paper charts. The NOAA Custom Chart (NCC) application was developed to enable users to create their own customized charts directly from the latest NOAA ENC data. While these custom charts do not fulfill U.S. Coast Guard carriage requirements for regulated commercial vessels, they contain the same up-to-date information contained on ENCs.”

1 Like

As a practical matter you might be correct, apparently the CG has not explicitly said that ENC-based printed charts meet carriage requipments.

The first paper chart that was discontinued was Chart 18665 - Lake Tahoe. This is what it says about the replacement; custom Chart 18665OG.

I don’t know why this version is not acceptable, inefficient CG bureaucracy or a backhanded way of requiring ENCs?

Electronic Chart and Navigational Equipment Carriage Requirements

This advance notice of proposed rulemaking (ANPRM) seeks comments regarding possible modifications to the chart and navigational equipment carriage requirements in titles 33 and 46 of the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR). This ANPRM outlines the Coast Guard’s broad strategy to revise its CFR chart and navigational-equipment carriage requirements, to implement statutory electronic-chart-use provisions for commercial U.S.-flagged vessels, to include self-propelled vessels of at least 65 feet in overall length, passenger vessels for hire, towing vessels of more than 26 feet in overall length and 600 horsepower, and certain foreign-flagged vessels operating in the waters of the United States.

From here.

What about the ships that use paper charts as a back-up for ECDIS? Presumably if NOAA charts are not approved for carriage they won’t meet back-up requirements.

As I understand it, an ECDIS costs about $25,000. A pair of them costs $50,000.

All ships of size are required to have ECDIS.

Given how expensive just about anything is for a commercial vessel these days, a $50,000 expense for hardware that lasts for years is no big deal.

For small vessels, as a practical matter, the USCG is accepting chart plotters with Rosepoint, Nobeltec, SEA-IQ, iSailor, iNavx, etc.

I like having paper charts for certain things, but they are not corrected. They are stamped “For reference only, not for navigation.” On a small vessel with one mate and a lot of charts, it’s not practical to keep charts corrected, and frankly, it normally isn’t done.

1 Like

Yes, having an ECDiS and also having to maintain the paper charts was the worse of both worlds. ENCs are in my mind far better then plotting on chats.

We switched to from NGA to BA charts years ago so maybe the paper chart option is still open.

If there’s going to be a requirement to use two ECDIS than the requirements should be changed rather than doing it in some backhanded manner.

This is probably the info the OP was seeking: