Dumping Oil at Sea

There is a big difference between waste oil and oily water.
99% of the oil leaks into the sea are created from bypassing or malfunction of the OWS and dumping the oily water/bilge direct into the sea.
The composition of bilge is usually ~80% water emulsion and ~20% of sludge, tencides, rust, solids, bacteria, antifreeze, coolant and other chemicals.
I don’t think that there is anybody in the whole world who will accept this kind of emulsified oily water waste for free or even trade for it.
If your OWS is not working as they usually don’t you’ll find your self in the middle of nowhere with full tanks and not an easy way to get rid of the bilge.
That’s why it’s crucial to have an operating OWS that can handle tough emulsions of both sludge and bilge at all time and variations.
In my experience (I’ve studied OWS) I’ve seen only one sludge and bilge separator that actually works according to specification.

/ Tony

Well, which one?

Hi seadog!,
Well, as mentioned I’ve seen them all and some of them have a good ideas but bad design and application solution.
However if you look into this new one coming from Wärtsilä http://wartsila.com/,en,productsservices,productdetail,product,2D03D886-10E5-4589-A63F-D006C1E8364D,5FA9DFFA-6B04-4846-9F45-23029BC25E59,,8012.htm
you will find a new approach based on commonly used technologies but implemented in such way to meet the marine environment demand.
Read the “Setting new standards for oily water treatment” article for more in detail information. Also see attached reference letter.
I’ve seen this one onboard 3 different installations and the crew where amazed of operation and performance of it.

/ Tony