DUI has me waiting on MMC. What to learn in the mean time

So I’m looking at anything from one to three years of assessment before I can get my MMC PROCESSED. I would like to attend Seattle Maritime Academy for there engineering program. Seems I’ve some time to kill. There are a few 16-24 month vocational programs in the area. What would be most applicable aboard a ship? Thinking HVAC or some Electronics. There’s a marine carpentry program that would be a lot of fun, but I don’t see how building a wood hulled sailboat is gonna help me in engineering. Any and all suggestions welcome. And thanks in advance!

Automation/generators and all that electrical stuff. From what I hear a lot of new oilfield boats will have someone specializing in that stuff in the engine dept.

Like an ETO?

You could probably do worse than HVAC. Everyone knows enough to get by but it’s always helpful to have someone who really knows it. Plus could be decent backup if things don’t go well with the CG.

Yeah…from what I hear its the up and coming specialty.

I’d suggest getting more acquainted on the waterfront in any capacity. I take license to assume you have a twic if you are talking to the cg about an mmd?

Well, no actually. Plan on getting my TWIC when I return home (Seattle.) This DUI I came down to take care of is five years old and I’m going to jail over it. Down here in Arizona, haha. But your right on about the TWIC, will do. As soon as I get back home to the sweet Puget Sound.

[QUOTE=Hawesclaws;124661]I’d suggest getting more acquainted on the waterfront in any capacity. I take license to assume you have a twic if you are talking to the cg about an mmd?[/QUOTE]

Could you be a bit more specific?

[QUOTE=z-drive;124646]Automation/generators and all that electrical stuff. From what I hear a lot of new oilfield boats will have someone specializing in that stuff in the engine dept.[/QUOTE]