Drilling shutdown in GOM!

Shutdown of drilling in the Gulf for 6 months will put 30,000 people out of work in the region. Many of them from Louisiana, and in associated business in Louisiana. Have they not suffered enough?

All the fishermen are out of work, now, the rest of the state. Thanks US gov, your doing a great job.

A couple incompetent people make bad decisions and thousands are put out of work.

[QUOTE=bnhpr;34915]Thanks US gov, your doing a great job. A couple incompetent people make bad decisions and thousands are put out of work.[/QUOTE]

Now, Now - There is “Hope and Change” upon us. O is gonna make evereeting ahaight fo us!!! Damn, there I go, turning all political…seems to me some on here felt good 'bout O when he was elected. Hmmm, wonder how the feel now?

Cobalt has already declared Force Majeure on Diamond’s Ocean Monarch as a result of the drilling moratorium. I don’t think this will be the only one.

[QUOTE=captmrb;34921]Cobalt has already declared Force Majeure on Diamond’s Ocean Monarch as a result of the drilling moratorium. I don’t think this will be the only one.[/QUOTE]

Rumor is that 11 of the 13 deepwater TOI rigs will shut down. The two working are for BP…ironically.

TO will have 3 rigs working - Development Driller 2 and 3 (relief wells) and the Enterprise (LMRP cap containment). Beyond that it’s not a rumor as all of the deepwater rigs for all of the drilling contractors have to suspend operations when they get to a safe stopping point in the well. Whether or not the clients declare force majeure to cancel the contracts like Cobalt is doing is another issue. I suspect some will move the rigs overseas instead.

'Tis a sad shame, and now we will not be happy until we can throw someone in jail for this heinous crime, (and you thought being a ship’s captain was risky!). BP shares going down the tubes (crikey, better check my 401k and make sure they have switched to wind turbines and Prius batteries), and perhaps when the dust is settled and BP is but a husk of its former self, there will be a merger (Exxon Mobil BP perhaps?) and regrowth will start.

But in the meantime the [only] winners will surely be the lawyers and a few plaintiffs and as usual, those at the front will suffer.

I am impressed with the way many gCaptain members are handling this adversity, as if it was not bad enough before. Yes, there is finger pointing and accountability, retribution and compensation, but as an industry, to survive, in some perverse way, big bad BP should or could now be our [industry’s] biggest ally. Hopefully all the other oil majors (thank God it did not happen to me, right?), will also rally round and help us get quickly back on track.

30k is the direct number. How many jobs indirectly will be affected? Shore side personnel in the office, supply companies that give us everything from our groceries to wing nuts, even the gas stations that we stop at to fill up on our way home will be affected. We might be oil field trash, but we make and spend a hell of a lot of money.

Yea it sucks that the fishermen have lost big time in this, but really they were a SMALL group of people. Driving around Houma, Morgan City, and Lafayette I don’t see offices and industrial areas dedicated to servicing the great fishing fleets in the Gulf of Mexico :rolleyes:.

This is Obama’s Katrina and it will be felt come re-election time. Frankly his decision to stop drilling here for 6 month (it could be longer), hold off on the drilling in Alaska for a year, and cancel the lease sale on the East Coast will be felt for a lot long then Katrina. Hell I loved Katrina, the boat business was never better.

Frankly people don’t give a god dam about the environment when they cant pay the house and truck note.

[QUOTE=bnhpr;34915]Shutdown of drilling in the Gulf for 6 months will put 30,000 people out of work in the region. Many of them from Louisiana, and in associated business in Louisiana. Have they not suffered enough?

All the fishermen are out of work, now, the rest of the state. Thanks US gov, your doing a great job.

A couple incompetent people make bad decisions and thousands are put out of work.[/QUOTE]

Non of the rigs or people will work again in the GOM or US waters in their current state. Go to the MMS site and see their proposed requirements, The Presidential study that is due six months from yesterday will add new rules. From there it all goes to congress and White House who will right new laws for the oil industry.

Two things are sure the rigs will be replace with new “safer designs” or at least major rework. No one will work on rigs going forward without a ticket for their job title. Everyone will be certified or they will not get on the rig. Just like we have done for ships and planes for years.

It will be along time before that gets done.

Will you be a worker or someone hired to watch the workers. We will have watchers watching watchers when this is done and many more bodies living on the rig.

[QUOTE=rlanasa;34998]
Two things are sure the rigs will be replace with new “safer designs” or at least major rework. No one will work on rigs going forward without a ticket for their job title. Everyone will be certified or they will not get on the rig. Just like we have done for ships and planes for years.
[/QUOTE]

I agree with you, as you said just like we have done for ships for hundreds of years. The oilfield is probably the only industry where you can aspire at a supervisory/managerial position without education and ticket.