DPO vs. Sr DPO

Every company calls their DPO’s different things. It makes it difficult to read and understand resumes.
For example a DPO with another company would be an ADPO with us, but HR doesn’t understand that and would hire unqualified operators if we didn’t double check for them. (Same goes for Electrical Supervisors and Ch. Electricians and many more.)

I compiled the list below to help. Would you fill in the blanks?

What I call: 2/m, 3/m, DP trainee

Ensco
Diamond
Frontier: DPO, ADPO, N/A
GSF:
Maersk: Sr DPO, DPO, Jr DPO
Noble: N/A, DPO, N/A
Ocean Rig
Pacific
RBF: DPO, ADPO, DP Trainee
Seadrill
Stena
TOI (old): Sr DPO, DPO, ADPO
TOI (post GSF merger): Sr DPO, DPO3/DPO2, DPO1
Vantage

What do you call an unlimited Master (with Towing endorsement) that has held the Master position on Anchor Boats with 27,000 hrs of DP time, has 200 rig moves, pipe laying experience, and set more trees, tubing head spools, and jumper lines than you can shake a stick at - at the age of 37?

Answer: AB - at all of the above companies

[QUOTE=anchorman;36092]What do you call an unlimited Master (with Towing endorsement) that has held the Master position on Anchor Boats with 27,000 hrs of DP time, has 200 rig moves, pipe laying experience, and set more trees, tubing head spools, and jumper lines than you can shake a stick at - at the age of 37?

Answer: AB - at all of the above companies[/QUOTE]

If he wants to break in the Drilling Industry, I would see him joining as JDPO, then pretty quickly moving into a SDPO slot. After some DP drilling under his belt, move on a Chief Mate position. The rest is up to him.

[U][I][B]Answer: AB - at all of the above companies
[/B][/I][/U]
ONLY if you have done the RFPNW otherwise you would be an OS, sorry anchorman, stay at chouest or you will have to start at the bottom because of the new STCW changes
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

[QUOTE=Mr 100-ton;36101][U][I][B]Answer: AB - at all of the above companies
[/B][/I][/U]
ONLY if you have done the RFPNW otherwise you would be an OS, sorry anchorman, stay at chouest or you will have to start at the bottom because of the new STCW changes
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

You have to start over with any company change, but CaptVal is accurate for the most part - and that should be the way it works, but the reality comes down to who you know and how you’re presented on paper. That trumps all. I have seen Masters hired with no drill experience on 6th generation rigs with Noble and Seadrill. I was offered a C/M position on a conventional drill ship with Frontier, but told not qualified as 3rd on a Bully rig with the same company - blasphemy. Then see someone with less experience and similar background get a 2nd position. It is a very small world, and you always know someone that knows someone that knows a particular person will never make it…and they never do…then you wonder who in the hell is in charge of hiring these obnoxious idiots. A resume tells you zero about a persons demeanor and natural aptitude. Maybe the two most important thing to be successful. Anybody can say they did something, but nobody will say they wasn’t good at it. HR will always be the same with the drilling companies. If it was up to me, on the marine side, the Captain’s should review the resumes while on the rig, and conduct the interviews themselves in a few days of their off time and hire who they want, but the trick is being one of those resumes to begin with.

[QUOTE=anchorman;36092]What do you call an unlimited Master (with Towing endorsement) that has held the Master position on Anchor Boats with 27,000 hrs of DP time, has 200 rig moves, pipe laying experience, and set more trees, tubing head spools, and jumper lines than you can shake a stick at - at the age of 37?

Answer: AB - at all of the above companies[/QUOTE]

Correction Towing upon Oceans and Western Rivers

I’ve updated the list from the original post. Please fill in the blanks if you can.

What I call: 2/m, 3/m, DP trainee

Ensco
Diamond
Frontier: DPO <- ADPO <- N/A
GSF: Sr. DPO <- DPO 2nd Mate or 3rd Mate
Maersk: Sr DPO <- DPO <- Jr DPO
Noble: N/A <- DPO <- Mate
Ocean Rig
Pacific
RBF: DPO <- ADPO <- DP Trainee
Seadrill
Stena