DP Sea Time

Does anyone know the regulations regarding sea time for the DP ticket? I am currently assigned to a vessel under construction in shipyard. I have tried to contact the nautical institute but I don’t think customer service is their top priority. I have already completed the DP basic induction course and am looking to collect days but I have been assigned to a vessel under construction. The company does not have any other DP vessels so I am concerned I will be behind on days until the project is completed. The instructions provided with the logbook do not specify anything in regards to shipyard periods.

Any advice helps.

Your time will not count until the vessel has been officially class by ABS as a DP one, two, or three. Also the vessel will need a COI.

Good luck!

I have called the Nautical Institute and always get through. The sea time will NOT count until the vessel is official. Just hard for me to understand how you can have DP console time/experience when in a dry dock or tied up along side. This may be a contributing factor as to why there are DPO’s who lack experience and yet hold the coveted DP Unlimited certificate! DP time should be actual console hours and not days. Just my opinion!

You’re correct but at the same time everyone gets sea time for the licenses even when their boats are warm stack.

The NI changed the way it counts sea time in July 2011 . To count a Day now it has to be on a vessel that using it’s DP system . The way it was told to me Dry dock , dock time , travel on the boat , etc … will not be counted as days toward your DP certificate . The way it use to read was if 50 % of your hitch was on DP you could count the whole hitch as time towards your certificate . HOS had a boat in shipyard that was Counting time and like in your case wasn’t using DP the boat wasnt even sea worthy .The rigs and the oil company’s where upset about the abuse . The NI gave boats a loop hole because they understand how the boats work . Like always abuse set in and seamen get the attitude you have everybody does it I deserve to be able to do it to . How’s a captain going to sign you off if you have never even set up the DP in a real situation . I know it’s unfair that you happen to be in shipyard unable to use the seatime , but from what I read your lucky to be on a boat that has DP and your seatime will come quick enough .

I really think jdpo has a good point. Why shouldn’t he be getting DP time in the shipyard? With the current boom in DP operations how Can we expect to get this guys DP certs if we don’t count any of the shipyard time. Half of my DP time came while in shipyard and the NI didn’t seem to care all that much

All DP time for certification has to be verified as actual operating sea time. I would not mention too much about gaining half your DP time in a shipyard, my company would not be interested in hiring someone who openly makes these statements

And goes part of the reason for DP related incidents. Lack of proper onboard experience! Hell, let’s just give the cook DP sea time too since there is a shortage!

Yeah the same way you have ABs with DPOs!!

One quick question. Does the 30 day familiarization time that you need to have to take the Advanced DP course count towards your 180 days for the Certificate. I am getting different answers on this. Oddly enough even with the new changes in January 1 2012 where you will only be able to count up to 30 days DP time prior to taking the Basic DP course you would think that the time during your 30 familiarization would count too. Enlighten me and thanks.

30 days + 180 “experience” days = 210 total days

[QUOTE=denis;57084]All DP time for certification has to be verified as actual operating sea time. I would not mention too much about gaining half your DP time in a shipyard, my company would not be interested in hiring someone who openly makes these statements[/QUOTE]

And what company would that be? Seems like most companies don’t have a problem with it

to paraphrase the late (and great) John Houseman:

DP certificates need to be gained the old fashioned way…BY EARNING IT!

“MISTER HART!”