DP Book Question

I was just checking my sea time letter against my dp log book and came up a bit stumped. My question is that how much sea time accumulated prior to taking your basic class can be applied towards your watch standing time:confused: I believe that answer is 30 days but just wanted to get a second opinion.

Thanks in advance

Everything piece of information I have says 30 days. Good luck!

Check out the FAQ section on the Nautical Institute web site! I am going to say that any seatime prior to attending the Basic class is NOT going to be accepted! Any questions, do not hesitate to call the NI!

The last memo I saw from NI said that up to 30 days can be used from before the basic class.

30 days before Basic will be accepted.

[QUOTE=“New-mate;89523”]I was just checking my sea time letter against my dp log book and came up a bit stumped. My question is that how much sea time accumulated prior to taking your basic class can be applied towards your watch standing time:confused: I believe that answer is 30 days but just wanted to get a second opinion.

Thanks in advance[/QUOTE]

You could use all of it back in the day. But not anymore! No sea time prior to your basic class will be accepted by them.

Does DP watchkeeping experience gained before the induction course count?
Applications received before 1 January 2012: Any DP seatime accumulated within five years of you applying for your DP certificate, even if gained before taking the Basic/Induction course, will be counted towards the 6 months watchkeeping time required to gain a DP certificate. However, you are still required to complete 30 days seagoing familiarisation after the Basic course and a further 30 days after the Advanced. This time cannot be replaced by previous seatime.
Applications received on or after 1 January 2012: A maximum of 30 days DP seatime gained prior to attending the Basic/Induction course will be recognised towards the required watchkeeping time to gain a DP certificate.
These 30 days allow employers to continue the practice of evaluating prospective DPOs prior to attending an Induction course.

[QUOTE=“PR-9;89554”]No sea time prior to your basic class will be accepted by them.[/QUOTE]

Not true. Read the NI website.

[QUOTE=“Capt. Phoenix;89572”]

Not true. Read the NI website.[/QUOTE]

I know two mates that just got told that they needed more time because the days before their induction course would not count. But I will pass it along to them. I haven’t been to their website in a long time.