Done at last

I hate kool aid…

It is most gratifying to find how I have roused the rabble now with years of telling y’all that it truly is a Bayou Mafia thay controls this industry and that it holds the GoM mariner in nothing but contempt. Suddenly my voice is being echoed by many of my fellow shipmates. Good on ya is what I say!

[QUOTE=c.captain;134686]It is most gratifying to find how I have roused the rabble now with years of telling y’all that it truly is a Bayou Mafia thay controls this industry and that it holds the GoM mariner in nothing but contempt. Suddenly my voice is being echoed by many of my fellow shipmates. Good on ya is what I say![/QUOTE]

There comes a time when a company with good intentions becomes too big to uphold those intentions and values, this seems to be the case with ECO. They have several factors contributing to this in my opinion. First, the pace of expansion recently has led to the management not being able to grow as fast as the quantity of new vessels. Second, it seems that more office staff has been added with no offshore experience than they should have. Third, the office is located in Galliano, La. Good, smart, quality employees want to live in an area where there is a good quality of life for their families. This is why you don’t see Microsoft, Google, etc… headquartered in small towns. I’m not trying to offend the people that live “down the bayou” but that area is not conducive to attracting the majority of folks who want to work shore side. Are there good people in that area? Absolutely. But there’s more to life for the average person than wanting to live in a small town that revolves around one thing.

ECO has a lot going for them but just as much going against them at this time. They have been in a position for so long that people wanted to work there so bad that they took the crap and drank the Kool-Aid. Now mariners have other choices that are just as good, and possibly better, so they don’t have to eat the shit sandwiches being served. Competition is healthy in all markets and we’re starting to see that more each day.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;134685]I hate kool aid…[/QUOTE]

Reading this thread…I can drink the kool aid and I can eat shit sandwiches but eating shit sandwiches and washing it down with kool aid? I guess it would depend upon the flavor of kool aid and the size of the sandwich.

The place im working now is more shit sandwich. If I have to choose between the 2 ill take the glass of orange kool aid.

[QUOTE=Traitor Yankee;134586]Hell I only lasted 2 1/2![/QUOTE]
Funny, I did 2.5 as well. The orange boats used to look so good…from afar…

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;134700]Reading this thread…I can drink the kool aid and I can eat shit sandwiches but eating shit sandwiches and washing it down with kool aid? I guess it would depend upon the flavor of kool aid and the size of the sandwich.[/QUOTE]

At least they deep fry those sandwiches in da bayou… Mmmm

I used to look at ECO as if they were on a pedestal compared to all of the other OSV companies in the gulf. They had the nicest/newest boats, best contracts and best pay. They were and still are the preferred vendor of choice in the GOM for high spec equipment and technologically challenging projects. I realized a few years ago that they aren’t smarter than everyone else or have this treasure chest of secrets that no one else does. They have done a very good job of controlling the market when the opportunity presented itself 30 years ago and I compliment them on that. Amongst the many success stories they have failed when it comes to listening what their offshore employees are looking for. I firmly believe in competition in every field and I think that the current surge in the GOM will force ECO to move forward with the times.

If they don’t change they should expect companies like HOS, Jackson and HGIM to keep plucking away at their work force.

Hornbeck is the “Company of Choice” get it straight, and we provide “service with energy”…,

Carl, is that you?

[QUOTE=Traitor Yankee;134651]Schedule, and the offices attitude about me wanting a different schedule. I got hired for even time there and essentially got the bait and switch. Got to the point of diminishing returns for staying there and continuing to wake up wanting to brush my teeth with a glock.[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm, well at least you have a worthy sidearm…brush.