Diversity & inclusion helps?

No, when a manual says: “Important!” do you say: “I guess the other steps aren’t important!!”

Did you read the stuff you copied and pasted?

I don’t think people should die for selling loose cigs, passing fake bills, or just being black.

3 Likes

You do realize that question is the title of this entire thread and there are several good answers to pick from, right? :man_facepalming:

1 Like

IDK but if that’s all you got out of those posts then I understand why you’re confused.

Or did you mean to write al lack of critical reading?

And no, we don’t care to hear your “one good answer”.

4 Likes

I’ll answer here (Admin may want to move this to the This is Singapore thread)
What I was on about is the race riots that was going on in Singapore, which was part of Malaysia from 1963 to 1965. (Especially the big riots in 1964)
BTW; Singapore was thrown out of Malaysia in 1965 and thus had to go it alone, although it had no hinterland, no resources and very little industry.

The majority lived in Kampungs, segregated by race and Chinese dialect group. They spoke only their own language, or dialect. Communication between groups were in Pasar Malayu or Pidgin English.
The schools were run by Chinese Clans, or religious groups. The elite English language schools were run by Christian missionaries and organisations.There were also precious few with tertiary education.

One of the first thing the young PM, Lee Kuan Yew, did after independence was to appoint his most efficient Minister (Goh Keng Swee) as the Minister of Education, establish a National School system and hire native English speaking teachers to teach English in Primary Schools.

Here is an interview with Mr. Lee Kuan Yew in 2014:

PS> This may also fit with the subject of this thread. Inclusion and a common language is necessary to create a nation out of a diversified population, but strict Laws and enforcement is necessary to ensure that the “old ways” doesn’t return.
More of the long interview with LKY:

Yes we DO.
That is part of “Diversity and Inclusion”. All opinion should be heard, as long as they are not inflammatory, or personally offensive.
Then we can dispute and disprove them.

2 Likes

No we do NOT.

We don’t need any more discriminatory comments from First day posters with disposable email addresses who comment without actually reading the previous posts.

I am fully willing to “dispute and disprove” the comments of people like seamaster who I disagree with fully but who did take the time to engaged in a two way conversation but subfun did not engage. Subfun posted an off topic reply without reading the OP or what was posted before him. That is not “free speech” that is spam.

3 Likes

Being a mariner takes you to a lot of ugly places in the world. When I mean ugly places, I mean shipyards, oven hot oil terminals, and dilapidated and dangerous ports. It’s also a time, like long night watches and 130 degree work days. When you spend over 6 months outside of the country, pick up magazines like the Economist, and see countries where people believe that a country has to have a king (the Middle East) you get a better appreciation of the world. It puts it in perspective how obsessed the American people are obsessed with the American political theater (or how it is forced on anyone turning on a TV). No one overseas is waking up to watch CNN, MSNBC, Fox news etc. They get up and watch a real news network like BBC.

One of the things I saw was that people in other countries are generations behind America. At ASRY shipyard, the expats (Filipino, Indian, Pakistani) would leave their home countries for 2 year contracts. They might make $100 a month in their home town, but they come to any of the Middle Eastern shipyards to make $600-800 a month. If anyone has been to these shipyards, you can understand how miserable and hot they can be (Im looking at you Maesrk Atlanta, Chicago, etc). After they are paid their monthly wage, the shipyard takes out $150 for housing and food. They live shipyard provided barracks.

It all comes back to race on a ship because I see that on our little island of America (our ship), I cant help but marvel at how much better off the crew is than anyone (or any vessel) around us. What would it take that shipyard worker to come to America and bring his family? To take up the same job in the United States?

I’ve been donating to diversity causes since my first paycheck at sea in 2010, but why does it feel like you have to chant these acrimonious, America denouncing apologies to be diverse, or else risk being labeled a bigot? Churchill’s statue was defaced on D-Day. That man resisted and fought the most sinister regime to face the world. You think we would be having these protests if Germany had won, or if Japan succeeded in suing for peace.

I see a lot of these protesters as millennials like me. But they are screaming and dragging unwitting people out of trucks to beat on them with skateboards. I see this a reflection of youth who have spent their time accumulating likes by going to nice or attractive places on earth. Tell me it’s not privilege to pay a guide to take you up Machu Pichu (I dare you to find any millenial that does not have a similar instagram photo). I feel like all these protestors will never volunteer and contribute to the solution of racial inequality, but they will demand that someone does.

4 Likes

Where can I see these skateboard beatings? I’ve seen and caught a few beatings in my life but never a beating with a skateboard. That’s a novel idea. I am especially interested if these skateboard beaters are only dragging people out of trucks, why not cars? Clearly not inclusive behavior.
There are quite a few skateboarders that ride by my house in Florida but they’re usually pretty stoned or on the way to get that way and rather unaware. However, there may be a vicious breed out there I need to watch out for. Black helicopters, cell phone radiation, windmill cancer now I’ve got to worry about this shit too? Thank God I don’t have a truck any more.

4 Likes

Watch any of the cars that accidentally drove through the crowds in Minneapolis. On I-35.

How much reading or research on the history of race, slavery, the ideology of white supremacy and so forth have you done?

Which point are you on this graph?

Graphic from here:

1 Like

Beside the standard coursework in college with American history, I actually did the required reading of WEB Dubois. No it’s not a minor/major in these studies, but I actually paid attention. Most probably did the same.

Ken burns films do a lot to put this in perspective. The civil war and WW2 series Do a good job to chronicle race relations. Particularly interesting is the WW2 documentary, where Daniel Inouye speaks about his experience with racism.

I would highly recommend you read a book called “How to Hide an Empire” by Daniel Immerwahr. It’s good read on American history but along the way it details American historical figures and their racial blights. It goes into great detail on how poorly the Philippines and Peurto Rico were treated.

First rule of Dunning Kruger Club - you don’t know you’re in Dunning Kruger Club.

3 Likes

It is complicated; and has more twists, turns, and knots then we can reasonably expect to fix in the next decade. Too much of this mess is politically driven, to whit: David Dorn, the retired Police Captain in St Louis who happened to be black and was killed by a black man during the looting. How much mainstream coverage? What about the 18 murders in the Chicago last weekend?

If it doesn’t fit the narrative, it is not worth promoting.

6 Likes

There’s a test. I came across it in the book The Knowledge Illusion. It’s can you write a single paragraph explanation? In my case very few subjects meet this requirement.

2 Likes

the problem with diversity on board is what happens in the galley, what are we eating and who is cooking it, where is the food coming from, can you make anyone happy?

Bringing this back to the original question “Please tell me how D & I, in and of itself, promotes good seamanship & firefighting?”

If you look at the most successful new companies of today, diversity is baked into their core. About ten years ago I was lucky enough to attend a few secret, very high level, meetings at apple and samsung in silicon valley to discuss the next generation iPhone and Galaxy. Just before that I spent a year at Samsung Heavy Industries (SHI).

(I had been hired by a company that developed a new technology the phone companies wanted.)

SHI was very welcoming to me but also guarded with the information they shared. They very little diversity and also had no interest in listening to any ideas I had for improving operations.

The Samsung phones team was also all Korean but had a healthy mixed groups of consultants and were very interested in not just the technical information we provided but also cultural perspectives. They took time to explain their cultural problems too.

Apple was completely different. The meeting was lead by a young asian women in a leather jacket and ripped jeans. There was a big intimidating looking Russian guy, an Israeli who spoke broken english, an African from Africa, a white guy who looked like a nerd and another that looked like a Jcrew ad… and many more that all looked different.

This combination would not work at most American companies. The Isreali was very vocal and brutally honest, he seemed to tell everyone they were wrong at one point. The Russian did too except he wouldn’t say anything, he’d just walk up to the table, point is first and yell “niet”. When asked why he’d just shrug his shoulders and say “you figure it out”. The nerdy white guy would get frustrated by this and reminded me of a pocketbook dog snipping at the heals of a bear.

Each one of these companies was developing products that would billions in revenue but only one would become the most valuable company in the world. One other is doing well by all metrics and the third is fighting for it’s life.

I 100% believe that the diversity at Apple, Amazon, Facebook, Microsoft are all very diverse. The combined market value of these four companies alone is now close to $5 trillion, with Apple claiming the top spot at nearly $1.5 trillion.

All of them took the time to make sure I felt like I was an important part of the team (which I clearly wasn’t).

That team I met with (and which quickly dismissed our idea) created the single most valuable product in the world today.

So don’t tell me that diversity and inclusion can’t get “real” things done. It can.

But here’s the kicker. The diversity at Apple it self isn’t their most valuable asset it’s the culture they built around diversity. The fact that a Russian can drop his fist with no explanation and a little dude can nip at his heals was astounding.

What Apple has created is a true culture of inclusion.

Diversity brings you new perspectives but inclusion is even more powerful. It lets your team speak up without embarrassment. True inclusion allows everyone to put down their guard, stop the bullshit talk, and be themselves and speak honestly without awkwardness or fear.

It makes everyone feel like part of the team. And for you “oh here are the crime STATISTICS” well go take a look at the statistics. The SEC makes sure that Apple reports all of them.

Oh and BTW, the company is run by a Gay man. I’ve met him too and even got a hug out of him. It was awesome!

4 Likes

dry_fly has it right.

All the riots left quite a destructive wake. Minneapolis requested $55 million in federal aid, which is money that wont go to social programs. Minority businesses burned in every progressive city. The WSJ had a great piece about it and their future does not look good. A lot of progressive cities are being punished by themselves. But it’s not on the TV news so Americans wont care.

Listening to the discussion between the Chicago aldermen and the Chicago mayor reflect the difficulty in the progressive cities. You can hear that they expect organized gangs to cause damage to their neighborhoods and undo decades of development. Mind you, this is not a hurricane, it is people choosing to act and other people choosing not to act.

At the end of the day being a good manager of bridge resources is being inclusive. Educate your watch partners so that if you make a mistake, they can catch it.

An explanation that needs to be seen.

3 Likes

Why didn’t Minneapolis request $55 million for social programs? They asked for help to rebuild private businesses and they will likely not get it. The Federal government rightfully does not pay for damages from riots. If your system is so screwed up that people riot maybe you should change your system. Do not expect the federal government to pick up the tab for your malfeasance, unless of course you are a too big to fail bank.

On the Cherry Viken, an old (ex London Greek) tanker of just under 18000 TDW, blt. 1950 we had that problem.

The officers were a mixed bunch, while the crew was mostly Indonesian. But some were Christians (Batak, Molukkans and from Manado, North Sulawesi)

OK we had a big crew, incl. in the catering dept. There were 5-6 different types of food produced for every meal. (European, Indian/Pakistani, Halal and non-halal Indonesian, + Chinese and Pinoy food)

We had 3 Cooks in the main galley and 3 Crew Cooks in a separate Crew Galley. (Can’t remember how they sorted out the Halal/non-Halal problem)

The ship was built for British Officers and East African crew, with an extra deck on the midships superstructure to accommodate the Engineers there:

We had to separate the mess rooms to match, breaking with the tradition, where the Master, Ch. Eng. and Ch. Off. eat in the Saloon, all the officers in the Officer’s Mess, the “petty officers” in their own mess, the Cooks/Galley crew in theyr’s, with all the crews in the Crew’s mess.

Our arrangement was that all Europeans, regardless of rank, aet in the Saloon, the Indians, Pakistanis and Pinoy officers in the Officer’s mess. The Chinese cooks, the Capt’s Boy and a Chinese fitter in the Petty officer’s mess. The rest of the crew aet in either the Halal or non-Halal section of the Crew’s Mess, depending on their preference.

You can say that this wasn’t “inclusive”, but it was a necessity to avoid problems.
We spent 7 months trading between PG and the west coast of India, mostly Gulf of Kutch. Not the most “interesting” trade you could think of.

Did it become problematic with so many nationalities mixed together for so long? Yes it did eventually, but mainly because the Owner run low on money and didn’t pay allotment to the families on times.

2 Likes