Difference between Detroit Diesel and EMD?

Although my pop never served on subs, he helped the missle program. Polaris and Posieden. Fire control dude. Did sea trials on some nukies as a civie after he retired.One thing that those guys that attended his retirement gave him his dolphins. How fucking cool was that. He was in tears. My soft spot was for sub guys ever since,nukie or diesel.

1 Like

I havenā€™t hardly done anything with the newer 4 stroke EMD, am more familiar with detroit but from a engineering standpoint iā€™d probably want to deal with a more specific aspect of the particulars. ā€œā€œin generalā€ā€ ā€¦ encompasses quite a bit of territory!!

Like anything else, I sailed with good and bad diesel sub engineers. . . . but all were great guys, even if they werenā€™t the best engineers. . . . .and yeah, would gladly bend an elbow. . .and then two days later bitch about what I found they did when I was home. . . . .

One thing I have noticed, is you can push a lot more tonnage on the water than you can on land with the same size engine.

Yes.

Yeah, there arenā€™t any hills on the water

2 Likes

There might not be any hills on water but there are currents. In my youth I spent some time on the upper Mississippi on a towboat. We didnā€™t go very fast up river.

But that ride downriver was a screamer. No brakes

1 Like

Some of the gear boxes cant stand 900 with the 710s i just got off a triple screw full ahead was 850 with the falk boxes

Any of the conventional boats Im on with Rexroth heads they are cut back to 850ish. Filling in on another boat for a week a while ago, walking around downstairs and see this, light boat across the harbor :man_facepalming: went up and started chewing people the fuck out.