Dead man found floating near mysterious boat wreckage off Florida coast

is this a hit and run? God, I hope not but…

[B]Dead man found floating near mysterious boat wreckage off Florida coast[/B]
By Craig Giammona, Staff Writer, NBC News

The U.S. Coast Guard is trying to figure out what happened to a deceased man found floating in the Atlantic Ocean Sunday near the wreckage of a boat about 22 miles east of Jacksonville, Fla., according to authorities.

The search for potential survivors continued Monday, with Coast Guard boats on the scene gathering evidence and looking for other people who may have been on the boat, said Lt. Grant Johnson, a Coast Guard public affairs officer.

Investigators have not yet identified the boat and don’t know where it came from or where it was headed, Johnson said.

Approximately 10 life jackets were found near the boat debris, but the Coast Guard has not found evidence that other people were on the boat.

“We’re working under the assumption other people were on board,” Johnson said. “We’re going to err on the side of safety. With the lack of evidence we’re inclined to continue searching until we know otherwise.”

The Coast Guard found the man’s passport and believe he is a 49-year-old who last lived in Miami, according to Johnson. His body was recovered and taken to the medical examiner’s office in Jacksonville, Johnson said.

Officials declined to identify the man pending notification of his family. The Coast Guard is working with local law enforcement to find his family and figure out what may have happened to the boat.

The Coast Guard did not receive a distress call related to the vessel, two large pieces of which were found near the body, Johnson said.

The wreckage was first spotted around 6 p.m. Sunday evening by an aircrew from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.

The Coast Guard searched through the night for survivors, with boats and aircraft involved in the operation. Bad weather in the Jacksonville area prevented Coast Guard aircraft from searching the debris field this morning, but three boats remained on the scene looking for survivors and gathering evidence, Johnson said.

Many many years ago early in my career I came within a minute of running down a sailboat drifting in the middle of nowhere with only the dimmest light on the top of his mast. I only saw a faint return in the middle of the seaclutter right ahead that made me say that there was something in front of me and altered the heading to pass it. As we came abeam we could see the outlines of the boat which was maybe 35’ long. It was a very dark night and if I had not looked into the radar when I did I am sure it would have been a collision. Of course, there was no one on watch on the boat

Sure looks like a hit and run.

I’m trying to figure out what I’m looking at in the photo. Is that the cockpit of a sailboat or the cabin roof of a motor yacht?

edit - Ok, that’s the flybridge of a motoryacht with its bimini and lounge seats sheared off. The post is what’s left of the steering column.

[QUOTE=Jetryder223;100624]Sure looks like a hit and run.

I’m trying to figure out what I’m looking at in the photo. Is that the cockpit of a sailboat or the cabin roof of a motor yacht?

edit - Ok, that’s the flybridge of a motoryacht with its bimini and lounge seats sheared off. The post is what’s left of the steering column.[/QUOTE]

I had no idea what I was looking at either other than what ever is was it got torn apart, quite forcefully too.
This is some bad shit.
Drug runners in the dark, poor lighting on whatever the boat use to be?
Pretty sickening !
Perhaps findings from the medical examiner will shed some light on this ugliness.

Running some unlit or poorly lit object over in the middle of the night is my biggest fear as well. I’ve been close more than a few times with dim or unlit sailboats. I wish it was a requirement for sailboats to have to use a damn radar reflector, if they only knew how well those things worked. I’m starting to see more sailboats with AIS on the run out to Hawaii. While I try not to rely on AIS, I do leave it turned on on one radar for just this purpose. It’s nice to “see” small craft out there before you can see them.

There is no substitute for a Proper Lookout though.

[QUOTE=SeaSick;100662]Running some unlit or poorly lit object over in the middle of the night is my biggest fear as well. [snip] While I try not to rely on AIS, I do leave it turned on on one radar for just this purpose. It’s nice to “see” small craft out there before you can see them. [/QUOTE]

The smart small boat sailors are worried too, it is usually the idiots closer to show that are unaware. My friends who just sailed a 30’ boat from San Fransisco to Australia had very limited power for electronics but constantly ran an AIS receiver with an alarm to supplement their watch standing. It works both ways now and an AIS receiver is a much better tool than a radar detector which was previously the simple low power aid to the lookout on small craft.

The boat in the photo was a 50’ Hatteras Convertible.

Just purchased in Myrtle Beach, headed to South America with new owners. Delivery Captain was out of Miami. His was the body and passport found floating in the debris field.

That’s all I know.

This is the boat:

I also lurk around a site call The Hull Truth. It’s geared towards the recreational crowd but buried in a thread was the guy who sold this boat to the new owners. Thought is was also interesting to note that thread was started with a link to gCaptain. Small world.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/florida-georgia/488297-ship-eats-sport-fisher.html