Damage stability

I’d like to welcome discussions on this topic.

1. In case of Damage, How will a Master decide he has enough stability or should he abandon. This decision needs to be immediate and he will not always be able to wait for advise from ERS (Emergency response service) as required by MARPOL. What about ships who are not required to have an Emergency response service.
  2. Damage stability plans just provide probable damage cases and an idea of list, trim, residual GM, what if the damage faced is different from the plans.
  3. How will a Master decide whether its safe enough to proceed to a port of refuge or abandon.

If you are a Master asking these questions I hope you are not serious.

You cannot see what this is???

A student is looking for a ‘freebie’ on a exam topic.

Either help them out or ignore it.

(I chose the ‘ignore’ button!)

[QUOTE=Keegan;71703]I’d like to welcome discussions on this topic.

1. In case of Damage, How will a Master decide he has enough stability or should he abandon. This decision needs to be immediate and he will not always be able to wait for advise from ERS (Emergency response service) as required by MARPOL. What about ships who are not required to have an Emergency response service.
  2. Damage stability plans just provide probable damage cases and an idea of list, trim, residual GM, what if the damage faced is different from the plans.
  3. How will a Master decide whether its safe enough to proceed to a port of refuge or abandon.[/QUOTE]

I love these kind of questions from students’ exercises. Here’s what you tell your instructor.
In case of damage one may have excellent stability, excellent trim, normal list even though the GM may change somewhat depending on where the damage is. If one does not desire to be a submariner one should abandon ship before it sinks.

You could always follow this ancient mariners adage: Green to green, red to red,all is well. When in danger or in doubt, run around scream and shout.

Essay topic or paper topic maybe, not an exam…

“don’t give up the ship” damage control is for Navy. In the litigious world we live in, the value of a ship is a known number. The value of lives in a lawsuit is a unknown number. As much as I hate the idea of abandoning a vessel, better to do it earlier than risk lives.

[QUOTE=salt’n steel;71821]“don’t give up the ship” damage control is for Navy. In the litigious world we live in, the value of a ship is a known number. The value of lives in a lawsuit is a unknown number. As much as I hate the idea of abandoning a vessel, better to do it earlier than risk lives.[/QUOTE]

I wish that the Captain of the Tug Valour (Maritrans) followed this train of thought. Might have save some lives!

Ok… You got it! Different term, same understanding.

1. Be familar with the stability book ahead of time, and specifically the damage stability portions of it. Know which compartments, when flooded - cause the greatest loss of righting moment and present the greatest risk of downflooding which could cause a rapid loss of stability.

2. Know where the downflooding points actually are onboard and make sure they are closed if at all possible.

3. While the vessel may not have a tendency to return to an upright position when heeled over due to damage, it might still have significant resistance to heeling further. Thimk about it.

4. Know how to access the watertight boundaries and closures for things that pass thru them - in advance, and make sure your crew knows this too.

5. During incident, check the compartment boundaries often and verify that no progressive flooding is occuring thru breached boundaries or other means, such as HVAC ducting, grey water drains, possibly black water lines depending on the type of toilet system aboard.