Crowley Western Alaska Marine Delivery

Not enough to put up with the terrible working conditions there.

Get better boats, more crew and enforce work rest hours, pay about double what a similar job would elsewhere in the world (not less than) then we can talk.
Improve living conditions, eliminate “floater season” weed out the shit on the boats that you know can’t keep crew, that’s where I think I’d start.

Everybody knows that’s a crappy job that you only do if you have no other choice or you are desperate to move up in the industry quickly, that’s why they can’t retain anyone despite having some of the best benefits in the industry.

Those villages need some sort of gated terminal or offshore loading buoy so that you don’t have to skiff/swim/crawl through mud to get the hoses to the beach where the native 10 year old gang kids of Hooper Bay feel the need to piss on your feet and stab your cargo hose with their pointy sticks.

If that’s not enough to drive the new talent off, the terrible treatment by the regular crews who learned everything they know at PMI and think a 1mB error on the barometer reading in the log book constitutes a write-up just may do the trick.

6 Likes

What are the 2022 wages?

PM them to me if you need to, and I’ll post them.

Vitus (Crowley’s major competitor) advertised there wage scale in the spring and it was posted here. Vitus isn’t paying top money (they never have), but it’s a lot more than the last wages I heard out of Crowley.

Someone at Crowley PM-Ed this to me:

Our daily bonus has been increased to 2.5 × the listed rate to help recruitment and retention.

So for a ab/pic day rate (394.03 + 10% in lieu of overtime )+( daily bonus for completing the season 19.10 ×2.5) = 481.18

This strikes me as a little low for a good AB/tankerman. Plus, this is for working about 150 days almost straight with only a two week break in the middle.

There is a little more to Crowley’s Western Alaska compensation. We also offer:

Travel – All travel to work and back is paid for and arranged by us

Training – upgrade training reimbursement program available, annual required training is paid time

Benefits – After your 90 day probation period we offer health insurance, and we pay the full amount of the premium for you and your family. Also after 1000 hours (90 days), we offer a 401k program with matching funds up to 6% (2% year 1, 4% year 2, 6% year 3). In addition to the 401k Matching program, we contribute and additional 3% into your 401k, and this is whether you contribute or not.

Vacations – After your probation period you will be eligible for 10 days paid vacation. Vacation increases at 5 years to 15 days, and tops out at 10 years with 22 days

Holidays - Our crew is paid for holidays all year round, not only when working. Those days are included in the end of season bonus

Relative to what wage and benefits package? Please provide some substance to allow the community to compare.

I wanna say Vitus is actually offering an even time schedule of some sort as opposed to the thaw to freeze schedule. I think I saw that on indeed.

comments.

There are some paying lower believe it or not. I will say the benefits covered for yourself AND your family would make up a bit for the day rate. Decent medical/dental/vision insurance for yourself and family thru most companies can cost anywhere from 4k a year to 10k from what I’ve seen.

I’ve not been given permission to post our full wage scale, however the wage breakdown for AB that tugsailor posted is correct

I’m editing this to add - there’s an additional $14.44/day that Crowley puts directly in to your 401k, which brings the total day rate to: $495.62.

Where do you get your information? You say a few (2) yet that’s quite a bit low for the actual count.

Are you Trolling?

SEA PRINCE is part of the WAK fleet. IBU deck and engine with MMP in the wheelhouse.

Posted wages were “up to” wages, and “Rotational / Vacation Schedule”. Not sure how equal time would benefit a mariner with a limited season unless they had a winter job separate from the ice-free operating season of Western Alaska. Nice wages if you receive the maximum posted wage.

Thinking back on it, it’s been quite a few years since I’ve had tankerman making less than $500, plus benefits. I’m not sure what the typical going rate is right now, but I know Tankermen getting $550, plus benefits.

Thank you for confirming that Crowley Western Alaska has not tied up boats for lack of crew.

As I said, I heard a rumor that they had, but I didn’t believe it.

The forum is accomplishing its purpose, an exchange of information about topics of mutual interest to mariners.

3 Likes

I have been seeing most of the 6 boats in the Crowley Western Alaska fleet (excluding Sea Prince) around for for a long time. A couple of the boats I saw for the first time maybe about 10 years ago. That why I said they have a couple of newer boats.

Sea Prince is over 50 years old and I’ve seen her around for 30 years. I have known a lot of guys that have sailed on Sea Prince. She has a good reputation.
Sea Prince was transferred to the Anchorage office from Seattle within the last few years. At 50 years old, she’s approaching the end of her lifecycle.

As you said, Sea Prince is MMP & IBU (like the Seattle boats), at completely different and no doubt higher wages than the Western Alaska shallow draft fleet that are Local 4959.

How long have you been in Alaska?

Up for the spill clean-up in 89 then returned in 2007. Wages between the WC and AK boats are within a few dollars these days. Schedule sets apart WC tugs with year round work. Emissions standards are retiring more and more tugs with useful lives considering many older tugs were built over spec thus lasting longer than originally anticipated. New ATB tugs are run by another division.