Crewboat lost battle in Safety Fairway

[QUOTE=Capt. Nemo;8093]Tengineer,

I’m just curious: Are you a deck officer or an engineer? If you’re an engineer I wonder how you know, or why you care, about the requirements for harbor pilots. Do you stand your watch in the engine room or on the bridge?[/QUOTE]
I am an engineer with over 35 years experience and when maneuvering in or out of port I have had to be on the bridge from time to time as required by the company employing me. Knowing a bit more than the bare essentials to do my job and having a curiosity has made my job more enjoyable over the years. I also count a harbor pilot or two among my friends.

[quote=Capt. Nemo;8093]Tengineer,

I’m just curious: Are you a deck officer or an engineer? If you’re an engineer I wonder how you know, or why you care, about the requirements for harbor pilots. Do you stand your watch in the engine room or on the bridge?[/quote]

I wonder if you took a breath before you wrote, what you wrote, Nemo.

It all sounds a bit narrow minded, and more aimed at being offensive than constructive. Take a deep breath, and try to be a bit more objective.

My most humble apologies. I should have stepped back and waited a bit before posting. It was not my intention to offend or provoke anyone.

I truly was curious about where the watch was stood. I didn’t know that some companies required the engineer to be on the bridge. Live and learn.

I’ll be more careful with my questions in the future.

Nemo

No offense taken Nemo. It’s not often I was required to be on the bridge but it’s not unheard of. My wife conned me into taking a cruise a while back and the chief on that ship had to be up there when coming in and out of port. As he said, "It keeps the guys from calling down and saying, “this thing isn’t acting right maybe you ought to check the whatchamacallit.”

[quote=Capt. Nemo;8083]How do you know he was a 100 Ton Captain? Could have been a AGT Oceans. Hell, most of the six-pack guys I know can avoid hitting a CONTAINER SHIP…if everything is working correctly.

I’ve never run over a ship, but I’ve torn some stuff up because of mechanical failures. Ever had an engine quit at the worst possible moment?

Years ago, it wasn’t uncommon to have a steering relay weld itself to the contactor. And when it happened it happened at a really bad time, every time. It made for a pretty exciting ride through the High Span of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel or Hell Gate!

If the Mate-in-training screwed up, too bad for him. Let’s wait and see what the investigation turns up before we start casting aspursions on a whole class of mariners. I think a Master AGT Oceans who only runs big ships back and forth across the pond would require a bit of training prior to putting a “little” 170’ crew boat or OSV stern-to in a berth at the E. Those guys can’t even clear the colregs line without a pilot. Different strokes and all that stuff.

Just my two cents worth.

Nemo[/quote]

I Know a lot of things! For one it was a training mate and it was a women> I know no one got Killed, and I know that the 2nd captain that was training her went down to get something to eat and go to the head! I know this happened going thru an achorage. I know the tanker was anchored when the Captain went down to eat. I know that the Ship picked up anchor and swung around. I know she panicked and screamed then wham! So I guess I know something. I don’t really blam her but I do Blame the 100 ton captain that went down leaving her alone. But your right lets wait for the investagion.

I heard today from Fourchon that a C & G crewboat hit a rig. Don’t know any details on this one as of yet. No one was hurt from what I was told.

Here is the photo of the crewboat that hit the rig:

Great pic Capt Brian. Thanks for posting it!

And they wonder why they can’t get a raise!

Capt. Mugsy is right about the story,
I was also told ( By the head of Safety )that the Company fired both Captains and the Training mate after their investigation. For lack of professional practices in the wheelhouse.

See I do Know Something… Ps Im always right, LMFAO

Talk about a delayed response.

Well this site has been pretty boring over last year or so… Nothing really new, always the same sh€*… When something exciting happens let me know…

[QUOTE=“Captainmugsy;116304”]Well this site has been pretty boring over last year or so… Nothing really new, always the same sh€*… When something exciting happens let me know…[/QUOTE]

I just put you in my spam folder.

Now that’s funny.

LMFAO… Oh No !! Not The Spam Folder…

Please let me rephrase, its not that gcaptain has been boring, because they do put out great info on industry news and relative subjects, it the Forums that are pretty much dead and boring. Same topics, same questions same ( we’er better then your company bull sh#*.) i do also like that this site is one of only a few that post industry job leads even if 90% of them are headhunters.