Costa Concordia Disaster - What happened?

Understood. I get that people react differently in high stress situations. but these comments of his are not from the time of the incident, they are at the one year anniversary. And here he is, still unapologetic and blaming others.

He could at least express a bit of remorse. Especially after the passage of time when the immediate stress of the situation should be well past.

He has also stated that he should get his job back. That just beggars belief.

There is some sort of disturbing pathology going on here beyond the normal bell curve of behaviors under stress. Heā€™s an off the charts outlier.

Heā€™ll be a case study for the occupational psychologists fur shur.

[QUOTE=catherder;95083]You mean he wasnā€™t serving them?[/QUOTE]

Heā€™s not servingā€¦ Yet.

Oh yeah. Heā€™ll be serving up his backside like all the good little ā€œnew fishā€ in prison. How do you say ā€œpick up the soapā€ in Italian?

[QUOTE=catherder;95090]Understood. I get that people react differently in high stress situations. but these comments of his are not from the time of the incident, they are at the one year anniversary. And here he is, still unapologetic and blaming others.

He could at least express a bit of remorse. Especially after the passage of time when the immediate stress of the situation should be well past.

He has also stated that he should get his job back. That just beggars belief.

There is some sort of disturbing pathology going on here beyond the normal bell curve of behaviors under stress. Heā€™s an off the charts outlier.

Heā€™ll be a case study for the occupational psychologists fur shur.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I donā€™t know. How many people have been directly responsible for so much destruction? Airline pilots usually donā€™t survive and most marine incidents are usually partly someone else fault.

K.C.

Well, weā€™ll really have to see how the investigation pans out I guess. Iā€™m sure there will be more heads to axe besides Captain Sillypants.
Unfortunately for him, Italian law has specific statutes for what heā€™s accused of. Unless he flees and joins Sea Shepherd heā€™s doing time. (Imagine that visual).

[QUOTE=catherder;95096]Well, weā€™ll really have to see how the investigation pans out I guess. Iā€™m sure there will be more heads to axe besides Captain Sillypants.
Unfortunately for him, Italian law has specific statutes for what heā€™s accused of. Unless he flees and joins Sea Shepherd heā€™s doing time. (Imagine that visual).[/QUOTE]

I hope he suddenly discovers what HONOR is and performs seppuku

I include a set of instructions here for him to use.

[QUOTE=z-drive;95027]ā€¦
2. Watertight doors need to be closed per the stability letter and class. No way class didnā€™t require the doors. And if the doors were faulty it is the Masterā€™s responsibility to remedy the issue. His job not to sail on an unseaworthy vessel. It is also the masterā€™s responsibility to ensure the crew closed watertight doors per stability letter.

Soā€¦remind me again how this isnā€™t the masters fault?[/QUOTE]

According SOLAS W/T doors are generally only permitted between engine rooms and shall be closed at sea (as I explain on my web page). Costa Concordia apparently had 25 W/T doors connecting crew and store spaces below the bulkhead deck. [B]It seems to be a serious design fault.[/B] You cannot blame the Master for it. But you can evidently blame him for not keeping the doors closed at sea at all time according regulations. But it seems it was Costa custom to sail with open W/T doors.

Everybody agrees that the Concordia survived upflooding of four watertight compartments caused by the unfortunate contact ripping open the hull. Many blames the Master for the contact, while the Master thinks it was an accident. Very quickly the vessel was evacuated. Pretty good, actually. You cannot blame the Master for it.

3 hrs after the contact the vessel suddenly capsized killing people throwing the Master into the water. It seems that the capsize was casued by progressive flooding through an open or leaking W/T door that reduced vessels stability/GZ<0, so the vessel would have gone belly up unless the shore was in the way.

Can you blame the Master for the leaking/open/incorrectly fitted W/T door? IMO no. The responsibility falls on the ship owner fitting the the door in the first place. You also wonder how the Italian maritime authorities could have permitted it being fitted. Do they not know about SOLAS?

The easy solution is evidently to blame all on the Master but it does not produce better safety at sea. It just produces more irresponsible ship owners and maritime administrations.

No grounding is an accident. Every vessel that goes down commits suicide!

Also, you are a complete douche nozzle.

[QUOTE=ā€œHeiwa;95151ā€]

Can you blame the Master for the leaking/open/incorrectly fitted W/T door? IMO no. [/QUOTE]
Why must you continue to confuse RINA with Shittino? These are TWO distinctly separate events. If you MUST rail about the W/T Doors being installed, fine. However, during ā€œThe Ordinary Practice of Seamenā€ it becomes obvious to an experienced observer (this one ((and apparently the majority of others on this forum)) that Shittino was NOT ā€˜practicingā€™ this craft. As with any ultra modern vessel fitted with such doors there is an indicator on the Bridge. It has indicator lights showing W/T Door status. In MY opinion (class society or not) sailing with these doors open is tantamount to ā€œletting a kid run with scissorsā€.

The responsibility falls on the ship owner fitting the the door in the first place.

OBVIOUSLY, concerning the installation. What about the conditions of use? Is the office responsible to come aboard and ā€˜make sureā€™ the W/T Doors are being used correctly?

You also wonder how the Italian maritime authorities could have permitted it being fitted. Do they not know about SOLAS?

Easy: The caveat that it NOT be open underway! You say you have so much experience with other incidentsā€¦ Use your contacts to get either a sample ā€˜approvalā€™ or ā€˜operational conditionsā€™ statement applicable to this class vessels. If you can find it in writing from RINA that these doors are authorized to be open UNDERWAY then you would be correct in your desire to absolve Shittino. But. I bet that wonā€™t be found!

The easy solution is evidently to blame all on the Master but it does not produce better safety at sea.

It certainly does when a Master ignores what should be common sense: Keeping your Ship, Crew, Passengers safe! If Shittino gets off in ANY way on this it sends the wrong message to all vessel Officers. It would reinforce that: You can violate ā€œGood Seamanshipā€ practices, You can Ignore SOLAS, And you can run your vessel aground, and watch it capsize from the safety of shore!

It just produces more irresponsible ship owners and maritime administrations.

I will argue: More Shitty Crew (That violate laws, simply ā€˜do what is easiestā€™ and do an absolutely UN professional job) are what ā€˜makesā€™ bad owners and administrations.

The solution is: Professional Crew who DO operate the vessels correctly and STAND up to the owners when asked to operate said vessels in a lax manner.

Did the Herald of Free Enterprise sink because of poor door design or crew negligence? Did the Titanic sink because of poor design or crew negligence? Get rid of poor crew performance and what happens? Who is responsible for overseeing the crew?

I realize there are some crappy vessels out there. As a person in charge, I realize that must influence HOW and when I take extra precautions with my vessel. It would appear Shittinos major concern that night was a certain Romanian PIATC who was his priority.

Also, no one has ever mentioned it before, But often on cruise ships there are TWO Captains. Shittino was the Master. The other one (Usually a licensed Master also) is called the ā€œStaff Captainā€. I would not be surprised if orders were given by the Staff Captain which over rode Operational Regulations. From past experience this happens when a Master gets ā€˜browbeatenā€™ by the Hotel Management and doesnā€™t stand his ground.

http://www.tankeroperator.com/news/todisplaynews.asp?NewsID=4117 is an interesting, recent case. The Master is not put in prison (Alcazar just a mile away!) and incident investigators say it will take months to find out what happened and who is responsible.

[QUOTE=ā€œHeiwa;95171ā€]
Interesting case.[/QUOTE]

is it Germane? No deaths. No pollution. No abandoning ship. No hull intrusion. So why insert this example??? Is this a conspiracy also?

You mean Alcatraz. Alcatraz prison has been closed since 1963.

Keep it up, this is a scream.

[QUOTE=PMC;60934]Apparently no may-day - wrong thing to do.
Apparently no abandon ship drill - wrong thing to do
Apparently general alarm was not sounded and people not sent to muster stations - wrong thing to do.
Eventually people were told to go back to their cabins - wrong thing to do.
Apparently officers lied over the intercom about the nature of the problem and lost credibility - wrong thing to do.
Apparently they loaded lifeboats women and children first - wrong thing to do.[/QUOTE]

Schettino signed on as Master - Wrong thing to do!

[QUOTE=cappy208;95172]is it Germane? No deaths. No pollution. No abandoning ship. No hull intrusion. So why insert this example??? Is this a conspiracy also?[/QUOTE]

of course it isā€¦the aim of the Masons has always been to take down the Bay Bridge and cripple the California economy making all the liberals suffer for their sins. So far two of their members have failed at the task but they will not stop trying until they succeed.

[QUOTE=Capt Carl;95198]Schettino signed on as Master - Wrong thing to do![/QUOTE]

Costa hired him and ultimately made him a Master- Wrong thing to do!

Oh a repetitive mind. Oh a repetitive mind. What did I just say. Say?

[QUOTE=ā€œc.captain;95211ā€]

of course it isā€¦the aim of the Masons has always been to take down the Bay Bridge and cripple the California economy making all the liberals suffer for their sins. So far two two of their members have failed at the task but they will not stop trying until they succeed.[/QUOTE]

Damn ye and your clairvoyance Matey! Itā€™s almost as if you know somethingā€¦ That was SUPPOSED to be a secret. Harrumph

[QUOTE=cappy208;95219]Damn ye and your clairvoyance Matey! Itā€™s almost as if you know somethingā€¦ That was SUPPOSED to be a secret. Harrumph[/QUOTE]

This is why I live in an undisclosed location and never sleep in the same bed two nights in a row! Canā€™t be too careful when it comes to the Masonsā€¦they are a ruthless bunch who will stop at nothing when it comes to eliminating any threats to their secret control of the universe!

[QUOTE=c.captain;95212]Costa hired him and ultimately made him a Master- Wrong thing to do![/QUOTE]

Right or wrong, Costa hired him for many years and made him Master and then fired him before the incident has been fully investigated. Evidently the Master must be considered innocent until a court or an accident investigation board finds otherwise.

This Italian criminal court at Grosetto doesnā€™t seem to be serious or the prosecutor lacks experience of marine matters. I am pretty certain that the court will find Schettino innocent because (1) the [B]contact [/B] on 13 January, 2012 at 9.45 pm was an accident due to confusion on the bridge and (2) the [B]capsize [/B]on 14 January, 2012, at 00.34 am killing people was caused by a leaking/open watertight door that Schettino thought was closed/tight and progressive flooding/loss of stability/GZ<0.

According the Voice Data Recorder it seems Schettino had the situation under control all the time and a general alarm was given and evacuation was quickly done, etc, etc.

I think it is a scandal when a ship owner abandons his own Master and blames him for an incident.

I canā€™t take it anymoreā€¦

[ATTACH]2822[/ATTACH]