Control of invasive species through bilge/ballast water treatment

Academy cadet question here:

In a effort to control invasive species such as zebra mussels generated from ship discharge, what is the current best practice and what additional safeguards would you recommend?

Don’t answer the question for me but tell me why my idea is wrong.

I am aware of chemical control methods such as liquid chlorine or quaternary ammonium injection, however these have environmental side affects. I’d like to suggest oxidizing agents with no residual consequences.

What I am thinking of is a hydrogen peroxide injection system immediately upstream of an high intensity UV irradiation array. The only byproduct would be H2O, O2 and warm water. If the flow can be properly regulated to insure sufficient contact time, the kill ratio should be near 100%. The beauty of this is the synergistic effect of irradiating H2O2 creates a order or magnitude of greater oxidizing potential.

Possible inhibitor would be high TSS or oil fouling. I think this could be controlled with a properly sized oil/water separator.

What I am proposing is an environmentally benign bilge water disinfectant system.

I ask you real engineers - is this concept at all practical?

1. Will it work for discharge rates of 1000 to 3000 tons of BALLAST water per hour?
  2. What concentration is needed and how much contact time is required to meet the standards ?
  3. What is the proposed systems’ weight and volume?
  4. How much hydrogen peroxide needs to be carried in what concentration ?
  5. What is the cost per cubic meter of BALLAST water treated over a 12 year operating period?
  6. Since UV treatment is already an approved treatment system, what advantage does adding a chemical step to the process provide?

Good luck and do the research. That’ll give you your answer if your idea is worth the powder to blow it up.

PS -

There should not be oil in any BALLAST water that is discharged. If there is, someone is going to jail.
There is no regulatory requirement to treat bilge water against bio-organisms.

http://www.rwo.de/rwo/ressources/documents/1/25412,Ballast-Water-Guide-2013.pdf

So far I can only answer #6. Injecting H2O2 upstream of UV will boost the oxidative potential of each. Kind of a 1+1=3 sort of thing.

As far as sizing and stoichiometric calculation are concerned, I need to find a Chemical Engineer to advise. Way beyond my training at this point.

Was thinking instead of toting around a big tank of peroxide, perhaps a better approach would be ozone infusion via an onboard generator… That would still provide a reactive oxidizer and 03 breaks down to O2+O2.

[QUOTE=Jetryder223;146942]So far I can only answer #6. Injecting H2O2 upstream of UV will boost the oxidative potential of each. Kind of a 1+1=3 sort of thing.

As far as sizing and stoichiometric calculation are concerned, I need to find a Chemical Engineer to advise. Way beyond my training at this point.

Was thinking instead of toting around a big tank of peroxide, perhaps a better approach would be ozone infusion via an onboard generator… That would still provide a reactive oxidizer and 03 breaks down to O2+O2.[/QUOTE]

http://www.ballastwater-treatment.org/product-list/blueballast

Already done.

That’s it !!!

I could get into this kind of stuff.

But alas - I’m too smart to major in Marine Safety/Environmental Protection and too dumb for Marine Engineering.

[QUOTE=Jetryder223;146970]That’s it !!!

But alas - I’m too smart to major in Marine Safety/Environmental Protection and too dumb for Marine Engineering.[/QUOTE]

Stop knocking yourself and take a look around. You’re likely just as “smart” or more-so than most people.

But alas - I’m too smart to major in Marine Safety/Environmental Protection and too dumb for Marine Engineering.[/QUOTE]

Maybe SUNY Maritime should have a program for a Bachelor of Science Degree in Oceanography. And perhaps another for Meteorology.

Oh wait, they did. They got rid of them. Never mind. May not have worked for you anyway, you had to take all the thermodynamics, fluid dynamics, and calculus of an engineering degree. (by “you” I mean “I”)

[QUOTE=jdcavo;147003]Maybe SUNY Maritime should have a program for a Bachelor of Science Degree in Oceanography. And perhaps another for Meteorology.

Oh wait, they did. They got rid of them. Never mind. May not have worked for you anyway, you had to take all the thermodynamics, fluid dynamics, and calculus of an engineering degree. (by “you” I mean “I”)[/QUOTE]

Touche Mr. Cavo. Touche

Too dumb for Marine Engineering? Nah, I got through it. . . .