Completing a TOAR

[QUOTE=z-drive;158689]Hah yes, a west coast mate with 5 years experience, vs an east coast mate with the same 5 years. No question, unless it comes to who can handle shit weather better. Not saying west coast boat handlers are worse/better than east, but comparing the average mate with a barge. How do you develop that talent though to transition to master?

I can’t think of the last time I woke the old man up. I think the last time he more or less said you got yourself in the jam, get yourself out. Its basically my boat to run 12 hours a day and we definitely do things differently, except for one or two things he mentions before turning in. Also dealing with the office on %95 of matters too.[/QUOTE]

Yes. I agree that when it comes to boat handling a year of chief mate hands on operating experience in NY is usually worth several years of being a West Coast style chief mate.

If I like a mate and he shows potential, I train him to handle the boat. In recent years, most of my mates are in their 50’s and 60’s.The oldest was 72. If those guys don’t know it by now, they never will. Most of them are quite good. Some really know their way around, but are too nervous or have inadequate depth perception to land a barge.

I worked over on my own time to get most of my toar complete. I bugged the shit out of our DE and busted my butt being a hard worker until he couldn’t say “we’ll do it soon” anymore.

I got my MTV by riding on my days off

[QUOTE=cajuntugster;159323]I got my MTV by riding on my days off[/QUOTE]

Yes, that is often what it takes.

I appreciate the responses to this thread. I was unaware of the differences in operation between West and East Coast towing. Now I just need to find a job!

Sorry for thread jacking, but how would a mariner make a new start into offshore towing. Currently I am a master on oilfield supply boats with a 1600 ton masters ticket. It’s beginning to lose its appeal to me, & I’m looking for a change. I know I need a TOAR signed off & 90 days on a towing vessel, but what I dont understand is, how to get a company to give me a chance, & let me train?? Or would I be better advised to temporarily sign on as an AB, & go from there? I know there must be some wheelhouse guys that have made the transition to towing before me, & I’m not the first to ever consider this. Thanks in advance for your help.

Tough market to crack without some deck time on tugs, that’s my opinion though. You really need some AB time to be a halfway decent mate and I see no way around it. People here think we are a bunch of idiots because we don’t make oilfield money but it’s not that easy to walk into. Like on the east coast the mate is pretty much on their own 12 hours a day, making decisions and within inches of damage constantly.

So… call companies and say you are looking for an AB job, however you have a 1,600 ton license and experience on other vessels but want to transition to tugs. You may even get a shot right into a trainee spot, but you’ll show your intelligence and humility by bringing up AB work first.

I’d personally go after a Mcallister, donjon, gateway, Dann, Buchanan etc, not the big fancy oil and/or ATB outfits to break into the business.

Thanks, Z. You got a ballpark of what AB’s make on tugs?

Around $300-$375 a day

I could probably make it on that for awhile if 28/14. Even time would be kind of tough.

For 28/14 call Dann towing and Mcalister. Thats there schedule for ABs.

Thanks, will do

Being very general here, but I’d guess mid 200’s to low 300’s depends what company, AB-tankerman high 400’s- low 500’s approximately. Imagine I don’t know what my AB’s make? I’m not joking. “Training mate” would normally be a little higher than whatever an AB’s making.

A deckhand at Buchanan, a fellow who posts here says is about 400, but every penny is usually earned there.

The mud boats are REALLY beginning to lose their appeal! Been doing it for better than 20 years. There seems to NEVER be a time when everything is rolling along just being steady. It’s always boom or bust, feast or famine, and its getting old real fast. Thanks for the help.

You wont make that at mac. Figure $200-$250 a day for AB there. A little more for training mate.

Is Mac mostly union?

[QUOTE=Capnklump;159815]Is Mac mostly union?[/QUOTE]

almost entirely non-union.

Only place they are union is in San Juan