Coming up on one year for the sinking of the Bounty

Memories fade. Details become blurred. And the story fades away. Can’t wait to read the Coast Guard report. Must be pretty insightful if it is taking this long to put together.

When’s the CG report expected to be released? Anyone know?

Hard to believe that was only a year ago.

I was aboard the 3 masted schooner,Schooner Alexandria, when she sank under similar conditions near the same area. Combine that with living the Tampa/St Pete area where the Bounty was headed, my heart sank and prayers went out to those involved. I respect the captain for staying with the ship, when my boat sank our captain was the first one in the life raft. I missed the life raft trying to save another crew member and a dog. In December I spent 12 hrs in 65 degree water with 15-20 ft waves wearing nothing but a pair of jeans and an old Columbia jacket. Devine intervention saved my life. I know what goes through your mind when you accept your fate at sea. I pray and hope that the Captain found some peace before his time was up. God Bless him.

[QUOTE=keithboyer;122196] I pray and hope that the Captain found some peace before his time was up. [/QUOTE]

Hmmmph … I hope the bastard suffered more agony than the girl he murdered and the misery and torture her family will suffer for the rest of their lives.

His death doesn’t change the fact he was an arrogant and incomptent fraud. All his death does is relieve him from having to live with the results of his actions.

If there is a Hell, I hope he is in miserable attendance.

[QUOTE=“PMC;122076”]Memories fade. Details become blurred. And the story fades away. Can’t wait to read the Coast Guard report. Must be pretty insightful if it is taking this long to put together.[/QUOTE]

No, it’s JUST sitting on somebody’s desk who, allegedly, has more important things to do than sign a letter telling us all what we all already know, a pompous ass killed 1 person and himself and risked the lives of others including the helicopter crews.

Wow the similarities between the bounty and my accident continue. A survey was done on our vessel and owner/captain was advised not to take it more than a mile offshore, we sank nearly 100 miles out. I was away from the world when it happened with School and then a hitch. Will stop feeling sorry for the guy.

Man, has it been a year- for real? I don’t wish hell on anyone; even that block-head Captain. But let’s not kill our shipmates out of sheer stupidity; ok? Let’s carry that lesson home to everyone we care about.

Ok? Love you all. Cat

A lesson should not include KILLING a crew member to prove your point.

An interesting read: http://www.soundingsonline.com/dispatches/291388-video-a-skippers-fateful-choice

It still whitewashes the phenomenal arrogance and stupidity of the “master” of that ill managed vessel.

I wonder if Joseph Conradhad written the story he would have titled it the Narcissist of the Bounty.

I still think this looked like an insurance job.

ASSOCIATED PRESS: published: Thursday, June 27, 2013 at 16:22 PM.

RALEIGH — The U.S. Coast Guard says an investigation into why the replica of the 18th century ship HMS Bounty sank during Superstorm Sandy in 2012 may take a year before it’s released to the public.

A spokesman for the Coast Guard’s district headquarters in Portsmouth, Va., said Thursday the report was sent this week to the Coast Guard’s investigations office in Washington, D.C.

Spokesman Brandyn Hill says the investigation contained safety recommendations. Coast Guard headquarters will review whether all the facts are explored and documented, the findings are justified, and any evidence of legal or regulatory violations have been referred for enforcement.

[QUOTE=yacht_sailor;125151]I still think this looked like an insurance job.[/QUOTE]

I bet the insurance company refuses to pay the claim based upon breach of the owners warranty of seaworthiness.