Coasties Companion Guide to the Mariners Licensing Process

The Coast Guard Cuttermen’s Association is proud to announce the first of hopefully a series of Cuttermen’s Association sponsored publications intended to benefit our membership and their personal and professional education and advancement.

“A Coasties Companion Guide to the Mariner Licensing Process” (PDF document) was written by Coasties, for Coasties, to help overcome some of the real and perceived barriers that active and former Coast Guard members may have experienced in their pursuit of a Merchant Mariners Credential.

Enjoy and “Fair winds and following seas” for those of you navigating the licensing process. We hope this guide helps!

Pretty good info but its a little misleading. An AB endorsement (for at least 6 months) is required for that “seatime” to count. Without the AB, nothing will count for anything over 200GT.

EDIT: just read the fine print at the end and it explains the AB requirements.

I like it so far. And I see that you’re all shearing

Thanks a lot for this.

[QUOTE=“commtuna;122997”]Pretty good info but its a little misleading. An AB endorsement (for at least 6 months) is required for that “seatime” to count. Without the AB, nothing will count for anything over 200GT.

EDIT: just read the fine print at the end and it explains the AB requirements.[/QUOTE]

Not entirely true. I used the “in the capacity of” which NMC bought but still had to get the AB endorsement to sit for the test. I also sailed “in the capacity of” Commanding Officer a couple of times (long story) and could have got my unlimitedaster but could not afford the schools.

There are many routes, u just need to find them…

Thats good to know. Makes sense because Im doing my AB right now and its a joke. Anyone whos been a nonrate on a big cutter or even a boatswains mate clearly has more knowledge and training than is taught in an AB course.

Reading the checklist, states “while holding AB for 180 days” so I figured it was pretty cut and dry. Guess it comes down to the evaluator.

And yes, serving in the capacity of Commanding Officer carrys more weight than us youg’ns.

I got lucky serving as an XPO to a CO instead of an OinC.

I wished I had this guide prior to my USCG enlistment ending. I did the old fashion way. 6-pack then 100ton then 200ton then 500ton and now 1600ton master. Studying for 3rd Mate Unlimited now.
I boarded a 150’ yacht as a Coastie and never forgot about the crew and the awe of the vessel ( m/y Gallant Lady) a seed was planted. Got out of the USCG, went to college for 2 years and hated it. Got my 6pack and moved to Myrtle Beach. I didn’t go South enough so I boogied to Ft. Lauderdale, FL. Found a deckie position and worked with a capt for 3.5 years who mentored me and built up my confidence. Worked my way up the command and 10 years later (6 years as capt from 70’ to 130’) a 1600ton Masters.
Well, after dealing with wealthy families I’ve taken the plunge to commercial work doing the supply boat thing in the Gulf of Mexico. I thought I knew how to operate a 100+ foot yacht… My boat handling experience has increased.

!! GET YOUR CAPTAINS LICENSE BEFORE YOU DEPART THE USCG!!

[QUOTE=commtuna;122997]Pretty good info but its a little misleading. An AB endorsement (for at least 6 months) is required for that “seatime” to count. Without the AB, nothing will count for anything over 200GT.

EDIT: just read the fine print at the end and it explains the AB requirements.[/QUOTE]
This is wrong. See 46 CFR 11.213(a):

§11.213 Sea service as a member of the Armed Forces of the United States and on vessels owned by the United States as qualifying experience.

(a) Sea service as a member of the Armed Forces of the United States will be accepted as qualifying experience for an original, raise of grade, or increase in scope of [B][U]all[/U][/B] officer endorsements. In most cases, military sea service will have been performed upon ocean waters; however, inland service, as may be the case on smaller vessels, will be credited in the same manner as conventional evaluations. The applicant must submit an official transcript of sea service as verification of the service claimed when the application is submitted. The applicant must also provide the Officer in Charge, Marine Inspection other necessary information as to tonnage, routes, horsepower, percentage of time underway, and assigned duties upon the vessels which he or she served. [U]Such service will be evaluated by the OCMI and forwarded to the Commandant for a determination of its equivalence to sea service acquired on merchant vessels and the appropriate grade, class, and limit of officer endorsement for which the applicant is eligible[/U]. Normally, 60 percent of the total time on board is considered equivalent underway service; however, the periods of operation of each vessel may be evaluated separately. In order to be eligible for a master’s or chief engineer’s unlimited officer endorsement, the applicant must have acquired military service in the capacity of commanding officer or engineer officer, respectively.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;123232]This is wrong. See 46 CFR 11.213(a):

§11.213 Sea service as a member of the Armed Forces of the United States and on vessels owned by the United States as qualifying experience.

(a) Sea service as a member of the Armed Forces of the United States will be accepted as qualifying experience for an original, raise of grade, or increase in scope of [B][U]all[/U][/B] officer endorsements. In most cases, military sea service will have been performed upon ocean waters; however, inland service, as may be the case on smaller vessels, will be credited in the same manner as conventional evaluations. The applicant must submit an official transcript of sea service as verification of the service claimed when the application is submitted. The applicant must also provide the Officer in Charge, Marine Inspection other necessary information as to tonnage, routes, horsepower, percentage of time underway, and assigned duties upon the vessels which he or she served. [U]Such service will be evaluated by the OCMI and forwarded to the Commandant for a determination of its equivalence to sea service acquired on merchant vessels and the appropriate grade, class, and limit of officer endorsement for which the applicant is eligible[/U]. Normally, 60 percent of the total time on board is considered equivalent underway service; however, the periods of operation of each vessel may be evaluated separately. In order to be eligible for a master’s or chief engineer’s unlimited officer endorsement, the applicant must have acquired military service in the capacity of commanding officer or engineer officer, respectively.[/QUOTE]

James,

Thanks for chiming in with the detailed answer. I think our guide covers that, but if you think it could be better written or explained, let us know how. If you have any other corrections/improvements, please let us know.

Interesting. So when submitting the application, how does one “prove” this? Does a simple letter from the commanding officer work or will the evaluator just go ahead and approve licenses based soley on a TOSS?

Im just a little confused because I spoke to NMC about my CO signing off STCW stuff for my AB and they didnt say “dont worry about it, your a DWO on a 2000gt vessel. Why do you feel the need to get an AB”.

[QUOTE=commtuna;123248]Does a simple letter from the commanding officer work.[/QUOTE]

It was good enough for me back in 2002, of course the data was on Signed, Command Lettterhead

[QUOTE=Jolly Tar;123264]It was good enough for me back in 2002, of course the data was on Signed, Command Lettterhead[/QUOTE]

Better to use a TOSS. That is what NMC expects to see. Letters from the CO designating DWO duties are also very helpful.

On a separate topic, you are missing some information in the RFPNW section, namely the grandfathering clause available to some military personnel covered in the Policy Letter. If they meet the requirements there is no training or assessments required.

[QUOTE=Robert;123331]Better to use a TOSS. That is what NMC expects to see. Letters from the CO designating DWO duties are also very helpful.

On a separate topic, you are missing some information in the RFPNW section, namely the grandfathering clause available to some military personnel covered in the Policy Letter. If they meet the requirements there is no training or assessments required.[/QUOTE]

Robert,

Thanks for pointing that out and we’ll take a look at it and consider for future updates. Thats also why we made the document heavily linked so folks can go straight to the source and get those fine details specific to their situation.

This is very helpful. thank you very much for doing this.

I do have a question. Im trying to apply for Able Bodie Seaman Unlimited and it says that the requirement for Sea Time is 1080 days deck service on Oceans or Great Lakes. There is no Tonnage for this. With that say… Does my small boat time counts towards this? i have been a Coxswain for 7 years on 25ft, 33ft, 41ft, 45ft, and 47ft. There is a form CG_719S that is for Small Boat Sea Time that im gonna include in my package. Just wondering if anyone has done this before and if they got credit for it. Thanks

I have not seen any A/D use the CG-719S for their sea service. Mostly the TOSS for cutters and the printout from AOPS/TMT/ALMIS for small boat time.

[QUOTE=Scallywag;123846]I have not seen any A/D use the CG-719S for their sea service. Mostly the TOSS for cutters and the printout from AOPS/TMT/ALMIS for small boat time.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I would think using the CG-719S for military sea service, should be raising some red flags at NMC wondering why you are using the usual service provided documentation.